Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default How do I get back to exercising?

While I've continued to walk since my appendectomy, I've yet to get to the gym. I was going to go on Monday to aerobics class, but just couldn't get myself out of bed. And this morning, I had a major battle with myself about going to class vs. not going to class. I didn't go. Because of a chronic health problem, exercise (and pretty much everything else unfortunately) has become rather painful in the past several months, but I know I need to do it. Even the thought of driving (another painful activity) makes me stay in bed until it's too late to go. I don't think I can get rid of these last 20+ pounds if I don't exercise, though.

I just need that first push to get me started, I think. Before the appendectomy, I was going to aerobics 3X a week and lifting weights twice a week. Once I got there and got started, I could usually dismiss the pain. I had a session scheduled with a personal trainer for last week, but because I can't lift until after I see the surgeon next week, I had to cancel.

So I guess I just need some motivational words, and helpful hints, that will inspire me to get up off my butt and get back to the gym. I'm not asking too much, am I?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Sheila,

Don't be so hard on yourself ~ you have continued to walk. Maybe after you see the surgeon, you will have the peace of mind you need to get back to your other exercises.

Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #3  

Hey Sheila,

Have you been given the go-ahead to get back to exercising?

Maybe something a bit less strenuous than aerobics might be less painful for you. Have you ever tried aquafit? It is much lower impact, but still has all of the cardio...Would that work for you? Maybe signing yourself up for a course that has a set time? I find that if I have paid to attend a course, I hate to miss. Maybe buy or rent some exercise tapes to try out at home? That way you don't have to drive to get to exercise, change, organize, etc....Plus if you are really sore, you can just stop the tape. Gonzostar (Holly) seems to have used lots of exercise tapes. Maybe she could give you some suggestions for good ones to try out?

Is it the pain that is holding you back from exercising? Just lack of motivation (that is my CONSTANT problem!)?

Hope that you are feeling a bit better soon! Take care of yourself!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

psst. talk to your doc about starting with a physical therapist. a safe environment. they'll take into consideration the fact that you're recovering from surgery and will help you get going with minimal pain.

and chances are, the insurance will cover this. we're not talking a lifetime of PT, just a couple of weeks to get you moving again.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks, guys!

The appendix surgery stopped me for a while, but I'm cleared to go back to exercising. It's the pain from an ongoing neurological condition that's really getting to me. I love exercise, too, so it's bumming me out. But, I've just got to get back in the "no pain, no gain" frame of mind and get up and just do it. Once I get into the aerobics, then I can put the pain aside--it's just getting up (painful), driving there (painful), and actually starting (painful) that's stopping me. If I could just be magically transported to aerobics class, dressed of course, I'd be much happier.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #6  

Sheila, I think you are doing well considering what you are going through. It's great that you have the go-ahead from the doctor. Start back slowly. I know having chronic pain is not easy. My mom has it and refuses to exercise because it hurts so bad. You are a wonderful inspiration to those who do have chronic pain and need a boost. Push through all that pain. I know you can do it!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Shelia!

You? YOU stopped exercising? I think my heart stopped. Woman, you are my superhero, so you better just get your butt to class! I want to hear a report about how you dragged yourself to class despite all the hurdles standing in your way and you loved it and you can't wait to go again.

I'll be sitting here waiting.

See? I'm still here.... waiting...
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote