Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Exercise high linked to vibe from chocolate

By Lisa Liddane
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

What do chocolate and an hour of a vigorous workout have in common?

Feel-good vibes.

If you're feeling energetic, euphoric or happy after exercise, there might be a perfectly logical physiological answer. The buzz from exercise may be coming from chemical compounds called anandamides, said Daniele Piomelli, professor of pharmacology at the University of California-Irvine. Piomelli and his colleagues found that people who exercise vigorously for about an hour had high levels of these anandamides.

Back in 1996, Piomelli found these anandamides in chocolate, which may explain why some of us feel good after munching on a bar of Godiva dark chocolate, calories notwithstanding.

"During exercise, the body makes its own marijuana-like compounds," Piomelli said. Chemically, these compounds do not look like marijuana, but they cause a similar effect as marijuana on the brain.

Researchers draw similarities between anandamides and tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, because both attach to specific areas in the brain.

Piomelli partnered with colleagues at the Georgia Institute of Technology for a study published last year in the journal NeuroReport. They recruited 24 male college students who regularly exercised and were divided into three groups: Eight ran on a treadmill, eight rode a stationary bicycle, and eight sat. Those in the exercise groups worked out at 70 percent of their maximum capacity.

After one hour of exercise, including warm-up and cool-down, researchers took blood samples. They found that those who exercised had levels of anandamides 80 percent higher than those who sat.

Anandamides have been found to reduce pain in animals, so they probably have the same effect on people, Piomelli said. It's possible that the body produces more anandamides in response to the stress of exercise.

Anandamides also may play a part in regulating mood, which may explain the post-exercise buzz. This effect is temporary.

It's not clear whether these compounds are linked to "runner's high," a sensation of euphoria that some athletes say they get during or after a long workout, Piomelli said. It's possible, he said, but more studies are needed.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

this is GREAT, sandi!!!!

but i'm NOT giving up chocolate!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Sandi very interesting article... I do get that high after a good workout... But I do NOT get a high after chocolate at all, all I want to do is go to sleep, I don't really think it's the chocolate per se but the sugar in a chocolate bar... As for the marijuana, eons ago (at least 30yrs. ago) when I was into that unhealthy stuff, all I wanted to do after smoking pot was sleep ....
Hey, How've you been BTW? Nice to see you!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy
What do chocolate and an hour of a vigorous workout have in common?

Feel-good vibes.
I know which one I've been choosing for my highs in the past, choosing the other one now & in the future.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote