Things we do and say to ourselves:
1. If I lose weight, I'll respect myself.
It's the other way around. When you respect yourself, you take care of yourself and stop doing the things that make you overweight.
2. Losing weight will change my life.
Reality: If you change your life, you'll lose the weight. A major reason people gain weight after a diet is they thought weight loss would change their lives. When it didn't, they quit trying.
3. If I could just lose weight, I'll look almost perfect. There's no such thing as perfection. Once you understand that, you can have as perfect a life as possible.
4. I can't lose weight without being hungry. You can't lose weight without being full. Satiety is the key to fat loss... not hunger.
5. Food is love. That ended when your mother stopped feeding you. If you're still eating fattening comfort foods, stop. Food is not your mother. If you need to get in touch with her... use the telephone.
6. Eating relieves stress. Eating will relieve stress by providing pleasure, but there are dozens of forms of pleasure that won't make you fat.
7. It's not right to waste food. It's even worse to waste your health. Freeze leftovers in portion sizes.