Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #91  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Chili Burritos
  • half a pound of ground turkey (optional, I sometimes omit)
  • 1 bag of instant brown rice (the plain boil-in-the-bag kind)
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 can of your favorite chili (I look for a low-fat or vegetarian kind)
  • 1 package of your favorite mexican-friendly grated cheese (I grab a low-fat kind here as well)
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning (the kind designed to add to a pound of ground beef)
  • 1 package of whole grain tortillas
Brown the ground turkey in a skillet, being sure to stir it as it cooks so it crumbles well. While that is cooking, prepare the bag of rice according to the directions on the box. When both the rice and ground turkey are cooked, combine in a saucepan. Add the can of black beans (do not drain), the can of chili, and the taco seasoning packet. Stir over medium heat for about ten minutes to allow the taco seasoning to mix in well and hydrate. Warm up your tortillas so they are soft and pliable, then scoop a large spoonful of your taco mixture into each. Top the mixture with a few pinches of shredded cheese before folding the tortilla into a burrito.

Makes 8 burritos.

I normally make these only for myself, so I have just one and freeze the rest in individual zip-lock sandwich bags. I love making them ahead of time so I have easy meals to grab from the freezer throughout the week. To reheat a frozen burrito, open the zip-lock bag but leave it inside. Microwave on high for one minute, then flip over to heat up for one more minute.

I sometimes add chopped onion, tomato, salsa, whatever sounds good at the time to add a little variety.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #92  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Default Winter Lentil Soup

Old, thread, but some great recipes! I just made this soup (was published in Real Simple magazine) and it was soooo good! Surprisingly flavorful. And inexpensive.

Winter Lentil Soup

Serves 6 Hands-On Time: 20m Total Time: 1hr 00m

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 4 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
* 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
* 6 cups water (I used 8 cups of low sodium chicken stock)
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide cubes
* 1/2 cup brown lentils
* 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (I used dry, it was fine)
* Kosher salt and black pepper
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce; optional)

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.

2. Add 6 cups water (I used 8 cups low sodium chicken broth as it needed the extra liquid - I think my sweet potatoes were big) and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale, lentils, thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons salt (use less if you use low sodium chicken stock), and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. (I had to cook it more than twice as long to get the lentils tender. Covering the pot makes it go faster)

3. Spoon into bowls and top with the Parmesan, if using.

By Sara Quessenberry, March 2006

Nutritional Information

* Per Serving
* Calories 226 (a little more with the chicken stock)
* Calories From Fat 21%
* Fat 4g
* Sat Fat 1g
* Cholesterol 3mg
* Sodium 799mg
* Protein 12g
* Carbohydrate 38g
* Fiber 7g

Last edited by CLCSC145; 01-17-2010 at 11:35 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #93  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Your Lentil Soup looks wonderful. A friend at work made a homemade Lentil Soup and I ate it for several days. Was absolutely delicious and filling!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

not a recipe exactly, but one thing that helps keep me on track is pita pizza. You toast a whole wheat pizza, spoon on some fat free marinara or pizza sauce and a couple of ounces of shredded mozz (I use Kraft 2%, best of all that I've tried). Bake for a few minutes at 350 (toaster oven works great) and it's really good and satisfies the need for cheesy pizza goodness. You could add toppings too, of course, I happen to like plain cheese pizza.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 290/270/135

Height: 5'6"

I love to cook and I love to experiment with foods...so here's what my favorite thing to make is lately [mind you it's for one, I eat alone ]:

Garlic Dill Chicken with Lemon
1 4oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dill
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup of water

In a small skillet, heat olive oil and add garlic on medium heat. Let the garlic sit in the oil for about 30 seconds to allow the flavor to infuse the oil. Add chicken breast, flipping it to coat each side in the garlic oil. Sprinkle dill on each side of the chicken breast. Add lemon juice and water. Use a wooden spatula or spoon to mix the juices in the pan. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on one side and then flip the chicken to cook on the other side until cooked through. NOTE: you can use olice oil cooking spray instead, just add the garlic when you add the lemon juice and water.

Garlic Dill "Roasted" Potatoes
2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes diced
1 tsp dill
1 tsp minced garlic
olive oil cooking spray

In a medium skillet, coat the pan in the olive oil spray and add the potatoes. Sprinkle the dill and garlic over the mixture. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through. This gives the potatoes a nice crispy outside, like roasted potatoes.

I'm addicted to my Wishbone Italian Vinagrette Spray [only 1 calorie per spray!] So when everything is done cooking, I spray a bit of the vinagrette ontop and it's just delicious.

For those following WW
Potatoes= 3pts for 1 cup
Chicken Breast w/olive oil= 5pts
Chicken Breast w/spray= 4pts
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 169/169/145

Height: 5'8"

i had to bookmark this page because of all the wonderful recipes!!!
anna1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #97  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I have a soup I make a lot, and it's a bit embarassing because it's not exactly 'cooking' more like 'assembling' LOL

* 1 lb lean ground beef (usually have 1/2 grd. beef, 1/2 turkey)

brown up and remove any fat, and add sliced onions (i use a ton) sliced carrots and celery and sautee til tender. I sprinkle about 1/4 pack of taco seasoning mix on it, just for taste.

add 1 litre of stock (either beef or chicken, low sodium)

add 2 cans Campbells Cream of Tomato soup

add 1 big can of chopped stewed tomatoes

add 1/2 bag EACH of green beens, corn, peas, any combination of veg you like! chock it full of stuff!

if it's not 'soupy' enough after all that stuff in it, i either add more stock or a splash of V8 juice or something!

it's REALLY good lol, and hearty so you feel like you've eaten something!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #98  

Height: 5'10"

Low Fat Thai Peanut Chicken
1 package Taste of Thai Peanut Sauce mix (has 2 envelopes in the pkg-use both) 2 cans fat-free chicken broth 1 bag frozen stir fry veggies 3-4 chicken breasts

Mix broth and sauce mix in saucepan. Brown chicken breasts in skillet while your sauce comes to boil. I add a little of the sauce to the skillet to flavor the chicken. When chicken is done, add to boiling sauce and throw your veggies in there. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes while veggies cook. So easy and SO tasty. Serve over rice, or eat as a soup.

Last time I made this I put broth, sauce mix, and frozen chicken breasts in crockpot and cooked it all afternoon, then added the veggies for the last few minutes. It was good but not quite as much flavor. I think because of the water from the chicken breasts, it watered it down a bit. Would still work this way, I'd just use a little less broth. Prep is quicker that way, rather than cooking the chicken in the skillet. I love the crockpot!

Southwest Crockpot Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can rotel
1 can chicken broth
garlic and onion to taste
Cook all in crockpot 4-6 hours. Shred chicken when done and serve in tortillas, or leave breasts whole and serve over rice. Adding a little sour cream really makes this delicious.
jewelrymaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #99  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Homemade sushi!!!

I use fake crab, cooked shrimp, avacado slices, cucumber, sushi rice and nori. I don't add any mayo etc. SOOOOO good!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I just made a pizza tonight that was soo good.
Whole wheat low fat/carb tortilla
tomato sauce seasoned with garlic, pepper and red pepper flakes
non-fat mozzarella
left over zucchini, onions and red peppers
a couple slizes of turkey pepperoni

It was really good and filling
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #101  
Crazy Cat Woman

S/C/G: 284/274/165

Height: 5' 4"

Is it ok to still add to this thread? This recipe is from the site 101 Cookbooks, a favorite of mine.

Coconut Red Lentil Soup

1 cup / 7 oz / 200g yellow split peas
1 cup 7 oz / 200g red split lentils (masoor dal)
7 cups / 1.6 liters water
1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh peeled and minced ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
8 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
1/3 cup / 1.5 oz / 45g golden raisins
1/3 / 80 ml cup tomato paste
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
one small handful cilantro, chopped

cooked brown rice or farro, for serving (optional)

Give the split peas and lentils a good rinse - until they no longer put off murky water. Place them in an extra-large soup pot, cover with the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the carrot and 1/4 of the ginger. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the split peas are soft.

In the meantime, in a small dry skillet or saucepan over low heat, toast the curry powder until it is quite fragrant. Be careful though, you don't want to burn the curry powder, just toast it. Set aside. Place the butter in a pan over medium heat, add half of the green onions, the remaining ginger, and raisins. Saute for two minutes stirring constantly, then add the tomato paste and saute for another minute or two more.

Add the toasted curry powder to the tomato paste mixture, mix well, and then add this to the simmering soup along with the coconut milk and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or so. The texture should thicken up, but you can play around with the consistency if you like by adding more water, a bit at a time, if you like. Or simmer longer for a thicker consistency. The thicker this soup got, the more I liked it.
duckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #102  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

This is really, really filling and very low cal. esp if you make it with roasted curryflower instead of rice. One of my fave recipes so far along with my chili (will post that later)

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/...ach-curry.html
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #103  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

This is my fave right now!

for my veggie and veggie friendly fat chicks!

Asian inspired bbq tofu tacos! (with pics)

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/...-bbq-tofu.html
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #104  
Every moment is a choice

S/C/G: 450/tracker/??

Height: 5' 6"

Here are a three healthier tuna salad variations which I enjoy.

Spicy Tuna Salad Salad (two ways):

small can of solid white albacore mushed up with a fork
drizzle extra virgin olive oil
spicy premixed curry powder (I just sprinkle it on to taste)
fresh ground black or mixed pepper

mix the tuna, oil and seasoning then stir in
One med-large apple cored and cut in chunks(skin on)
One fat slice of a medium onion diced finely

Serve a scoop of this on top of a generous mound of mixed lettuce

The contrast of flavors and textures is really nice and the apple and spice helps the tuna mixture to be juicy in the mouth even with very little oil added.

2nd way: substitute pre-mixed Jamaican jerk seasoning and omit the curry and black pepper.

Not The Sushi Salad

small can of solid albacore tuna separated into bite sized chunks with a knife
dab a tiny amount of wasabi onto each piece of tuna
Cucumber with seeds removed cut into bite sized pieces
sprinkle the cucumber with good Japanese soy sauce
toss a handful of lettuce (I prefer iceberg or other light lettuce for this) with ginger salad dressing
Add the cucumber and tuna to the top of the dressed lettuce without mixing or tossing

High in sodium, but super flavor especially for anyone who loves sushi flavors but is avoiding white rice/carbs.
Snaplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #105  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Not The Sushi Salad
I don't eat canned tuna, but I am SO going to try this with some fresh tuna or salmon, it sounds fantastic!! (cooked, not raw, as I don't think I can buy sushi grade fish)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote