Old 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking Hope and Optimism -- Wanted to Share!

Hello everyone, I'm feeling such a sense of hope and happiness, and an overall optimism about my physical health going forward! I'm not long into my journey, and I have a long road ahead of me, but already, after 3 weeks, my lifestyle has undergone such a radical change for the better, and I'm just feeling so good about it, I wanted to share it with some lovely people who could relate to how big that is.

March 1st, I started to eat on plan. "On plan" for me is: 120 oz. H2O/day and no diet sodas or juices; 1500 calories/day; 20% fat (almost all of it monounsaturated, with no more than 6g saturated) 35-45% lean protein, 35-45% complex carb (low GI, complex carbohydrates); no refined sugar; no alcohol; 5-6 meals/day; no carb's consumed without protein in same meal; at least 3 servings each of low GI fruit and vegetables/day. So far, my biggest "infraction" -- and that was planned and guilt-free -- was a 1700 calorie day, a little higher in carbs, and still only 28% fat.....and I still lost 4 pounds that week!

As for exercise, I started out with the mindset that I'd get the eating under control, and develop a routine there for at least 2 weeks before introducing steady exercise, out of the fear of getting overwhelmed and ditching, then getting demotivated. So I set myself up for success, and I'm so glad I did. This past weekend, I started to work out, and I'm LOVING IT!!!!! We have a treadmill and exercise bike in our basement, so I removed a couple of pissed off cats and more than a little dust, and just hopped right on. Over the weekend, I did 4 short stints, and then Monday (yesterday,) I started my weekday routing, which I'll do 5 days/week. I'm walking as briskly as I can (with 5 minutes each of warm-up and cool-down) for a total of 30 minutes every morning at 6:00 a.m., then when I get home, I'm riding my bike for at least 40 minutes, maybe more if time permits and I feel like it. Then on the weekends I'm planning to do 1 1/2 hours straight on Saturday, with Sunday off exercise.....but still on eating plan.

I'm SO amazed that I'm getting right up in the morning and trotting down there quite happily! I never would have thought I'd do it so enthusiastically.....this is the first time I've been able to get myself to do it in the morning, much less LIKE it! I think the deciding factor, the "tipping point," has been my dropping alcohol from my diet. I was drinking way too much vino before starting this, and so OF COURSE my energy level has increased exponentially -- exascerbated as well by the huge turnaround in my eating habits, I'm sure.

I got weighed at the beginning of this venture, and got my blood pressure checked. I've returned to the clinic weekly to get both checked -- every Saturday morning, like clockwork. And as of Saturday, I was down 15 pounds (and that was right at was a really insulting degree of premenstrual bloat -- so I'm sure that I'm going to see further progress this week. As for my blood pressure, I've gone from 130/110 to a 122/70!!

I'm using some really excellent software called Diet Power, and it's been so instrumental in not only tracking my food and exercise, but identifying additional sources of some nutrients I didn't even know I needed and giving nifty graphs to motivate me towards meeting the goals I've set in the program! (I used to use FitDay, but this just offers a lot more options and is more of an amp'ed up version.) It's been really great for me, because it really helps to keep me on track with what I call the "up to now," the "here I am at this moment," not only from a weight loss standpoint but also from overall nutritional, bmi, blood pressure, and fitness standpoints.

So, I'm just so jazzed! I'm feeling so proud of myself for sticking with it, succeeding, and ENJOYING it! And I feel such a sense of optimism, as I know that this way of life is completely sustainable, and will get me to where I need to go, health-wise. If I need to tweak it here and there as I move forward in the process, that'll be just fine -- I'm flexible. Whatever it takes to keep me going......the key is that I'm moving FORWARD, and not just standing still. Or, worse yet, "sitting still."

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 03-23-2004 at 02:31 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #2  

Sarah, it sounds like you are so ready for this. You are really changing your life and making a huge difference. I love it when people really "get it" and you know that they are going to succeed. That is the feeling I get from you. I have no doubt that you are going to succeed. You're right, you do have a long, hard road ahead of you but as long as you keep thinking the way you are now and take it one day at a time, you will get there. And I promise, you won't regret it. Good luck and keep up the good work and positive attitude. You are on your way!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Sarah...

I am soooo proud of you! You have a wonderful attitude. I did the same as you...starting out slowly and adding things, or taking things away slowly. And the excercise thing is soooo addicting...I for one never thought I would ever ever evere say that. Sounds like you have some great soft ware that is working for you! Please eep us informed on your progress, pitfalls, and successess!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #4  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

That is so awesome, you have a fantastic attitude and outlook on things!
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

this is exactly the attitude we all need. try to hang on to it for as long as you can, because for me it comes and goes.

and raelynn - i love your new signature quote!
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Smile

Thank you SO much, Beverly, Gina, Raelynn, and Holly!! I can't tell you what it means to me to read your words of support. Beverly, to get a vote of confidence from you is more impactful to me than you know. I have such respect for your achievement. Everyone here is fighting the good fight, and to get little outreaching of support is just great.

Thanks again, each of you!!
Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 AM   #7  
I climb mountains!

Talking

Well, guys, at the risk of seeming just completely self-absorbed , I am reposting on this old thread I started way back in March -- just 22 days after I started. It's very late now -- like 2:00 in the morning -- and perhaps I'm just sentimental with weariness, but I really feel like I want to say that all of that hope and optimism are still with me......just as present now as they were in those first days. Even more so, now that I've done some work on my character, and proven to myself that I can follow through on my promises to myself.

I wanted to bump this thread up, not so much to check in with a "Hey look at me, I'm still feeling great!" but to say "Here's another person who's succeeding, who's putting one foot in front of another on a long road and is still on track!!" I know that in my lurking days, when I first read here but wasn't ready to commit to starting anything (God forbid! ) I really responded to the positive messages I read about people who were succeeding (at whatever speed) and were positive about the changes they'd made in their lives.

I'm one of SO MANY HERE who are proving that it's COMPLETELY possible to make lasting, powerful changes that they enjoy, and are seeing their lives improve for having made the effort. For most of us, it's not a miracle; it's merely effort.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:34 AM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Alright, just one quick but important addendum to my last post, and then I'm going to go to shut up and go to bed -- I swear!

One of the most important motivators for me has been the support I've received here at 100 lb. Getting this generous, caring, and supportive feedback from Beverly, Gina, Holly, and Raelynn, for example, acted to make me even more focused on following through on my commitments to myself and sticking it out. When Beverly said that she had "no doubt" that I was going to succeed, she had no way of knowing that I would then feel like I'd committed to her that I would. And yet I did feel exactly that. I didn't want to disappoint these amazing women! So THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to all of you who take the time to be kind and reach out. You never know what kind of impact your words have on people.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Sarah, I think it is go great that you can look back these past few months and see how much you have accomplished. Don't let go of that amazing sense of achievement! It's wonderful that you made your plan and you've stuck with it, obviously it is working for you and I am certain that we'll be seeing you at your goal weight.

P.S. It was great chatting with you guys last night.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Sarah, you rock! Thanks for sharing this. you are doing so fabulously, I am really impressed. Your positivity is truly motivating.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #11  

Wow, thank you Sarah. You’re right, I couldn’t have known the impact my words would have, and that’s what makes this forum so great. It's true ya know, I knew from the beginning that you were going to be in this thing for the long haul, and I'm not the least bit surprised that you have now become one of the "regulars" here at the 100 lb. club. You just kind of know when people are ready to make the switch and are prepared to follow through with it. You have done an outstanding job and your commitment and determination are truly inspiring. Not only have you committed this to us for accountability, but also, and maybe more importantly, you have committed this to yourself. And I think you’ve realized that it’s not okay to let yourself down anymore. We spend so much time taking care of everyone and everything else that we forget how important it is to take care of ourselves. How can we really help others if we cannot help ourselves? This is about us, our lives, making ourselves a priority for once. And this site has been so invaluable for the support we can give and receive here. Here we are, a group of people from every walk of life, with one common goal. To help each other, and in turn, to ultimately help ourselves. I am just so thankful for this amazing group of truly inspiring and compassionate people.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #12  
2006 - Panda Remix

Sarah

You are doing so well and your energy and enthusiasm is so helpful to me personally! Thank you for sharing.

Keep it up girl - i intend to stay right up there with you!

love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

Talking

I LOVE YOU GUYS! I really, really do.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I agree. That you are a true inspiration and a wealth of knowledge and I for one look up to you and your losses.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #15  
Live for the Moment!

Sarah,

You are such an inspiration and motivate me almost everday! You can do this girlfriend, and you are... You will succeed! I know you will!

Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote