3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   good foods, bad foods (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/37807-good-foods-bad-foods.html)

jkfla 03-10-2004 11:16 PM

good foods, bad foods

so here lately i have been messing up so much. and i always feel guilty, depressed, sad, mad, sickly etc.

so i was thinking that maybe we could each post some foods that make us feel bad and foods that make us feel good. maybe it will help some of us who have been choosing the feel bad foods.

MEAT. it doesnt matter what kind or how much. i always feel BLAH after i eat it!!!
i feel REALLY bad after i eat fast food. i know i said i would give it up but its so convenient (just another excuse)

salad makes me feel so good!

(to be continued)

Sheila53 03-10-2004 11:45 PM

Well, too much of anything makes me feel yucky. And caffeine definitely makes me feel awful, totally sick.

But the Brownie Earthquake I got at Dairy Queen last week (planned and within points) was good and didn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because I planned to eat it, and there weren't any guilt feelings around it?

So I don't know that I have divided certain foods into bad or good. I think for me, it's a question of planned or unplanned. If I eat something I didn't plan to eat, no matter what it is, then I do feel bad, but if I plan to eat something that people might think of as bad (like a Brownie Earthquake), then I don't feel bad at all. And if I overeat anything, then I feel blah, sick, disgusted, and all sorts of other negative adjectives.

Jillegal 03-11-2004 01:07 AM

WHAT SHEILA SAID!! (Sorry, didn't mean to yell)

I will add that a big bowl of steamed veggies (especially with lots of broccoli and cauliflower), with fresh ground pepper and sometimes a couple of fat free cheese slices melted over it makes me feel really good because of the combination of eating healthy and enjoying the taste. When I've planned for it, a slice of Pizza Hut pan pizza does it too, even though it's not a particularly healthy choice - but I feel good about incorporating something I would feel deprived of otherwise, plus it tastes so darn good.

Foods that make me feel bad are the ones I ate because of boredom, frustration, compulsiveness, anger, PMS, etc., etc.

Step 03-11-2004 02:25 PM

What a good idea! Perhaps we can learn from each other.

Here’s what makes me feel good:
1. Stonyfield Yogurt … non-fat, all natural. It’s got “extra” active cultures and FIBER . Even the ‘smooth’ flavors, like Lotsa Lemon have 2 g of fiber. If you want more info, check out their website www.stonyfield.com (NO, I do NOT work for them or earn commissions. ;) )
2. Salad w/ lots of romaine lettuce or mixed field greens. This “cleans me out” better than any laxative I could buy. If I’m feeling bloated or fatter than usual, this really helps. :o Way too much info, isn’t it?!?!?
3. On a hot summer day or on a spring-fever kind of day, I take a huge drinking glass, fill it ½ way with crushed ice, squeeze a WHOLE lemon or lime into it (pulp and juice) and top it off w/ Poland Spring fizzy water. It tastes good, but the big thing is that it reminds me of summer vacation!
4. Coffee … NOT the de-caf kind. (bad, I know) I mean, yes there I can over-do it sometimes, but twice a day makes me feel great!!

Here’s what makes me feel bad:
1. Anything that’s very sweet makes me feel physically bad. If I eat what most people would consider a moderate amount of something super-sweet, I feel sick to my stomach. I was the weird kid who ate the cake and left the frosting … when it comes to candy I avoid all sugary or fruit-flavored stuff, my favorites are chocolate and mint, and an occasional carmel. Just the thought of those silly Easter “Peeps” turns my stomach.
2. Like others have said, anything unplanned makes me feel emotionally bad. Lately that has revolved around giving into my PMS cravings. :eek: I read that sufficient calcium each day can help w/ PMS AND weightloss. So I added a couple of Viactiv Calcium Chews to my daily routine (I could never get past the smell of any of the calcium pills I tried) … the PMS is much better … I’m not as bloated, I’m not as cranky, but it hasn’t seemed to help w/ the cravings … ughh!!!

Monkeybabies 03-11-2004 03:14 PM

Thanks for the post...this is a good one!!

Before I share my lists, one thing that I was taught to do, by a very wise woman who is helping me through my food issues, and that I am trying to put into practice, is to drop the negative labeling of food. For example, weeks ago, if I had a peice of cake...I would start thinking "I am not supposed to eat this....this is too fattening....loaded with sugar, I really should not eat this but, I am gonna do it anyway!" etc, etc...Now if I eat a peice a cake, I either planned to eat it, and just say that it is nourishment. Instead of saying "this is so bad, this is gonna make me fatter" I try to keep positive and say "this is food for my body, I need this for fuel" etc, etc. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Just a suggestion.

This is what makes me feel good on the inside and out!

1) V8 juice in the morning. It is filling, loaded with yummy things....and it is quite tasty!
2) Home made chocolate cocoa...I will never buy pakaged stuff again!
3) Sugar free fudgicals...great for chocolate cravings...and are totaly SOBE friendly.
4) I love roasted peppers...yum with zuchini.
5) Balsamic vinegar and oil on a salade made form green leaf lettuce.

Things that make me feel bad on the inside and out!

1) Unfortunatly pasta...as much as I love it, it makes me feel like crap soon afterwards, and into the next day!
2) Binging on chocolate.
3) Chinease food...it is yummy, but makes me feel like crap afterwards.
4) Fast food....but I really like the convience of it!

That is all I can think of for now!

missaprylj 03-11-2004 05:15 PM

My contribution:

Bad = Deep-fried

Goddess Jessica 03-11-2004 06:32 PM

I always thought that there wasn't bad foods or good foods but anything eaten in moderation. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS ANYMORE! Dr. Andrew Weil (who is one of my favorite authors) says that there are some foods that shouldn't be eaten at all because they're so bad. So, no longer am I going to play the "mommie role" (you know! I love all my children equally), there are bad foods!

Red meat is one of mine.
Margarine (not butter) is another.
Ever since I was a little kid, deep frying gives me a headache. I have no idea why.
Any kind of low-carb ice cream makes me so sick!

Monkeybabies 03-11-2004 10:14 PM

I love Dr. Weil oo...I get daily advice from him...through e-mail of course...haven't read any of his books yet...any recommendations....

Goddess Jessica 03-12-2004 02:19 AM

Ummmm... all of them? :)

If you're a light reader, the cookbook is enough info to put you in a good mood and get started: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

If you're into science and his philosophy (and you're overweight), read Eating Well For Optimum Health. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Also, check out Dr. Ornish's book: Eat More, Weigh Less. It is very closely aligned with Weil's philosophy and has a lot of wonderful things in it too.

Ok, isn't Dr. Weil just so darn cute???

lessofsarahtolove 03-15-2004 01:54 PM

Yeah, Dr. Weil!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica
Ok, isn't Dr. Weil just so darn cute???

Absolutely! Count me in on the Andy Weil fan club -- he's awsome! I love both his philosophy and manner of sharing information; it's detailed, accessible, and not appealing to the lowest common denominator. I just finished his, "Eating Well for Optimimum Health," and loved it! What a great primer on healthful eating and responsible eating for weight loss.

I'm just about to sink my teeth into "The New Glycemic Revolution," to find out more about the what's and wherefores behind glucose. I've been confining my carb intake to unrefined carbs, but am interested in hearing more about this interesting topic. Anyone read that one yet??

Ok, and in answer to the question:

Feel Good Foods
Orange Roughie, Tilapia, and Salmon
Turkey Breasts pan-seared without oil or salt
Brown Rice with Tuna, Kidney Beans, Garlic and Hot Pepper (a lunchtime mainstay)
Mixed Greens w/spinach, chopped veggies, and Balsamic Vinaigrette w/mint (lighter on the olive oil)
Plain, Nonfat Yogurt
All-Bran w/Extra Fiber and Skim Milk (not the tastiest thing I've ever eaten, but it makes me feel great, it's quick, and don't even get me started on the positive impacts of significantly increasing dietary fiber!) ;)

Feel Bad Foods
Potato Chips
Ben and Jerry's Mint Cookies and Cream (but I speak here of conscience not of any physical kind of "bad") :p
McDonald's Fish Filet Meal
Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich Meal
Fettuccine Alfredo

dowsx4 03-15-2004 08:18 PM

My feel bad foods are:

White bread-I love it but i feel sluggish and yucky after.
Red meat-Feels like a lump in my stomache if i eat very much.
Alfredo sauce-makes me feel quezy after.

Feel good food:
Kashi good friends cereal
Steamed veggies
Home made chili
salmon and haddock cooked in just about any way.

That is all I came up with off the top of my head.

SuchAPrettyFace 03-16-2004 03:34 AM

Feel Good:

FRESH boneless skinless chicken breasts (the fresh have no sodium added, unlike the big bag of them)
fresh spinach leaves
big tub of cherry yogurt (that i mix one serving @ a time w/Fiber One cereal)
Kashi GoLean cereal
poached eggs
Natural Ovens bread
lean beef
ground turkey for chili
albacore tuna in water

Bad:

Hydrogenated oil (margarine, prepackaged baked goods & snacks)
Pork. tummy just can't handle it.
Potatoes. If I try & have one, I just end up craving more. And the tummy can't handle these, either.

Monkeybabies 03-16-2004 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=
I'm just about to sink my teeth into "The New Glycemic Revolution," to find out more about the what's and wherefores behind glucose. I've been confining my carb intake to unrefined carbs, but am interested in hearing more about this interesting topic. Anyone read that one yet??
[/QUOTE]

I have it too, just have not read it yet! I have it to supplement the SOBE diet....I like to know more of the "science" behind it!