Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #1  

Default How can this be ... and a Dr.Phil "vent"

I just got all the results back from the tests taken during a physical I had about a month ago ... I'm almost "perfectly healthy". I'm thrilled to know it, but to be honest, it makes NO sense to me, given that I have over 100 pounds to lose

OK, so mabye I'm exaggerating at bit, but all my tests came back good, "within normal ranges" ... including blood sugar, liver function, kidney function, the only exception was that my "bad cholesterol" was 2 points over ideal ... two little points. My good cholesterol was over the "minimum" and my total cholesterol was 197 which I know is cutting it close since "under 200 is desirable". But still ... I guess this shows me I'm doing something right.

I wonder if my motivation levels would soar if I got bad results?!?!

This whole weight loss thing is such a head game. I DO know that I'm prone to stress eating ... and I started reading Dr.Phil's book but last night I got pi$$ed off cuz in his book he said if I'm carrying this much excess weight then he "knows" that I'm watching way too much TV. Um, I work all day and I've never actually seen more than short clips of Dr.Phil, but now I know why he aggravates people. This sweeping generalization did it for me ... First, I do NOT watch a lot of TV and let's not forget it's TV VIEWERS that made him famous and probably rich, too! UGHH!!!!

Anyway ... that's my vent for the day.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #2  

I know exactly what you mean, Steph. I just had lots of blood tests, too. These were just routine things to check medication levels, iron, liver, cholesterol, etc. They were fine, yet I need to lose close to 100 pounds to be at a 'healthy' weight. People are constantly talking about obese people and their health problems driving up insurance premium costs, yet I'm obese and seemingly in good health. Go figure...

Dr. Phil, while he may have some good ideas that help some people, is a pompous windbag!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

I think Dr. Phil is one of those people whose methods work for some people and not for others. I know that he wouldn't work for me, because I always find him rather arrogant and obnoxious. And I find him way too negative and depressing. Of course, I've only seen him a couple times, so I'm probably making some wide generalizations about him myself (in effect making me rather hypocritical) ... but anyway, to me, the couple times that I *have* seen him, I always get the feeling that he almost tries to humiliate the weight off some people. But then at other times, I appreciate straight-forwardness.

But his comment about TV, what a generalization! I am surely overweight (and have been my whole life), and I have just recently (i.e. the past few months) gotten access to a TV after about 3 years without one! TV is not my problem.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #4  

Default Butting in...

I felt the same when I had a load of tests 'How could I be ok when I'm 100+ pounds overweight?' I've never seen Dr. Phil though
Old 02-15-2004, 02:54 AM   #5  
missaprylj

I think any psychologist on T.V.'s advice should be taken with a GRAIN OF SALT. (Or any psych. in general for that matter.)

Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi,

I just wanted to share with you all. Hoping that maybe my situation wouldn't be all for nothing if I can help someone else by sharing. I don't know how old some of you are. I was once where you were. I was over weight, but in good health other wise. I kept thinking ~ I will take care of the weight sometime ~ I have time. Well now I am 48. I am still struggling with the weight, and by not taking care of it while I was younger, it has kind of caught up with me now. I have developed high blood pressure. I have arthritis now ~ I am so stiff and have trouble moving. (I thought this stuff happened when you are old ~ my head says 48 isn't old, but my body moves like I am old ~ so discouraging.) I know it is easier said than done, but please try to get the weight off while you are younger and before health problems do set in. Learn from my mistakes.

Take care all ~ Gayle

Last edited by glynne; 02-15-2004 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #7  

That's a good point, Gayle. I'm 43, and feel a lot older most days. Some of it is my asthma --which isn't caused by weight, but losing weight would probably help it -- but some is weight-related. My knees and back ache, and if I lost my excess weight, there would be a lot less of me to haul around!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #8  

I'm 34 and my knees are starting to ache I know I have to lose weight for my healths sake and just because I haven't got diabetes now doesn't mean I won't in a few years.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I am not defending Dr Phil, I think that is terrible that he is saying everyone who is overweight is watching too much tv (BTW who does he think is watching his show and making millions of $$'s, talk about offending your core audience-people who watch tv), but I wonder if what he was really meaning to say was that it is people who are sitting down all day who are more likely to be overweight?

Also it is not surprising to me that someone in their 30's can have a perfectly normal physical and still be 100 lbs overweight. It takes years for some medical problems to develop. Glynne is right though, let's try and get the weight off now instead of later. I am a RN and I see the effects of obesity on elderly people. It is not a happy sight. Not only stuff like diabetes and high blood pressure but even trying to maintain your independence. At that age muscles cannot support the extra weight and next thing you know you are bedridden with someone having to change your diaper and roll you over so you don't get bedsores. I cannot imagine a worse fate.

Last edited by Jen; 02-15-2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

You all have some very valid points, which I agree with (but that's why I'm here, right!? To get rid of this weight to avoid those things in the future! Go 3FC!!) I understand that much of what Dr. Phil says is the truth, but for me, it's just a personal thing that I'm not a fan of his approach (from what I've seen of it).
Old 02-15-2004, 11:22 AM   #11  

Thanks for all the responses. You've all made valid points. I'm 44 years old and was about 50 lbs overweight when I graduated high school and 20lbs overweight when I graduated college. My weight has gradually climbed since then ... with lots weightloss attempts along the way.

I'm not looking for an excuse to stay overweight ... I really am striving to get the weight off this time and I don't deny that I'm not extremely active right now ... but it's NOT because I'm watching TV ... it's because I'm working full time and caring for 2 small children while my dh works out of state ... and even when he's home, most of the day-to-day stuff falls to me because he has Multiple Sclerosis and after a full work day he is very fatigued. Even when he wasn't working ... he could manage to get the kids to and from school and I was able to do an hour long walk at lunch time (in a very hilly neighborhood), but when I came home, he was often stressed and wiped out so I had to "take over". Now with him gone ... I can't do that walk and still work the required amount of hours ... I do stress eat and I often look for "quick and easy" meals ... I'm working more on pre-planning, and I finally realized that while bagged salad mixes are very expensive compared to lettuce I need to wash and tear myself, they are a LOT less expensive than eating in the caf everyday ... so I've been allowing myself that sort of "indulgence" ... I cook on weekends so I can re-heat during the week ... stuff like that.

Again, thanks all for your replies.

Last edited by Step; 02-15-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #12  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

This is a good thread, Steph.

Ya know, I used to HATE, and I mean hate Dr. Phil. I thought he was just like any other tv therapist trying to make $$$$$$$. Well, not that he isn't trying to make $$$$$, but I see him in a brand new light. I did not like him, because I did not like what he had to say to people or his tact. Fortunately, he is not trying to make friends, and he KNOWS that p@ssy footing around the real answers is not really gonna help people in the long run.

Now mind you, I did not come up with this realization until recently. And I bought Dr. Phils weightloss book back in the fall. I probably read the first 35 pages, and deliberately "lost" it under my bed......LOL. I friggin hated him and his "get Real" attitude.....well, ya know what? I was not ready to hear what he had to say to me, because I did not want to hear it....and was honestly, not ready. This time around is so much different, and I am actually getting something out of his book this time around. But, I agree, he is very opinionated. Dr, phil is one of those people you either hate or love, there is no middle ground.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:04 PM   #13  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Gina, you either love Dr Phil or hate him. He tells it like it is (usually) and yes it is difficult for people to hear. I'm sure all of us have had someone in our lives that we just wanted to come out and tell them the 100% honest truth but we can't because we don't want to hurt feelings or have that person hate us even if it is the truth. He doesn't have to worry about that.

We can have all the best reasons in the world for being overweight but it boils down to one plain and simple truth: we take in more calories than what we burn. You cannot get any simpler than that. There are many great reasons ie work, family, emotional difficulties and I am not discounting any of these as being valid reasons for not eating as healthy as we could. The only thing we can do to lose weight is stop eating nutritionally devoid high fat food and start moving our fat derrieres. It is the only way anyone of us is going to lose weight barring gastric surgery.
Closed Thread