Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #1  

Default Gym Anxiety

Anyone have any ideas for getting over gym anxiety? As in, "they're all looking at me, I don't belong here, I look ridiculous doing this, they're STILL all looking at me, oh there's a cute boy..." Sound familiar?

I've got 100 pounds to lose and I know I can't do it without exercise. Heck, I even enjoy some exercise when I can get motivated enough to do it. But that motivation isn't going to come from some dusty video tapes in the basement. I need to get out there, frequent the place fit people frequent...the gym.

Maybe I'm still living in the shadow of that sixth-grade gym uniform.

So I went out and bought some cute new gym clothes. I got the membership prices for the nearest fitness centers. I'm all ready.

But I can't seem to get myself through the doors. I know, I know: I have as much right to be there as anyone, and everyone is too concerned with what they are doing to pay any attention to me. But I can't get over that big *ulp* of going in. It's so shiny. It's so full of mirrors. It's so NOT where I feel comfortable, and if I'm going to be flailing my wobbly arms around, I need some comfort. Some safety. With no workout buddy and no idea of the procedure, I feel awfully lost.

Any ideas? How do you get yourself through the doors?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #2  

There is no easy way to get over your fears you just have to do it. You have to want to be healthy more than you are worried about what other people think. Once you get started and make it a part of your routine, you'll wonder what you were ever worried about. All those things that you just listed are true, the people there are worried about their own workouts and won't even be paying any attention to what you're doing.

You really can do it, and once you get started you'll be very glad that you did!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #3  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

I totally agree, mthrgoos68! Plus, the more you do it, you will de-sensitize yourself from those feelings -- the only way to do that is to push ahead with it, no matter what it may "feel like" at the time. You'll be proud of yourself when you do! (And so will we!)

One thing that eased my mind is that I joined an all women's gym, Curves. I highly recommend it if there is one in your area. For me, when I work out around all women I don't feel nearly as self-conscious as I would have had I joined a co-ed gym. Not that I won't someday, just not right now. Find strength in sisterhood! tee hee Nearly all of the women I have encountered at Curves have been as nice, friendly, and supportive as could be. Just like everyone here!

Be like Nike says, Just do it! *hugs*
Old 02-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #4  

I agree with the curves idea especially if you're just too uncomfortable at a regular gym to go consistantly. This has to be something you are willing to incorporate into your every day life so that you can make it a habit. Do whatever you can to make this a comfortable, enjoyable experience so that you'll want to keep doing it.

Personally, I've never been comfortable with the gym idea and probably still wouldn't be even now. I much prefer working out in the privacy of my own home. Pretty much the only person I let see me work out is my six year old. I don't even like my husband to see me but I'm probably a little more paranoid than most!

Beverly
Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 PM   #5  
Pennywishes

I know that feeling I need to lose about 150lbs plus and I hate going to the gym. Anyone near east Texas? Do you know where a curves is here?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

ok spores. you've got some great wisdom here from the others. and i'll give a few thoughts as well...

i have found a HUGE amount of support at my gym, very much to my shock. most gyms make you fill out a medical history and tell them what your goals are. i can't urge you strongly enough to go right into the trainers and make a couple of appts. they'll be absolutely in your corner, and there to help you.

there will ALWAYS be those stupid, annoying people who look through you and sneer. but you see them in the grocery store and the mall anyway. so ignore them just as you would anywhere else. but there are also those others, those in shape folks who will help you with the machines, encourage you, tell you that they can see a difference. THOSE are the ones to talk to. even if they are wearing thongs and don't have an ounce of fat on them.

but here's the big secret: most of people at the gym, if they're older than like 22, are lumpy and bumpy as well. and struggling with their own weight and food.

as for the women only gyms/areas. yeah. they can be nice. but i'm spending most of my gym time in the men's weight room. the equipment is better. and the guys either ignore me or help me. there's no middle ground with them. and it's all ok.

maybe i'm lucky, but i'd like to think that most gyms are like this.

keep us posted!!! we'll help you through this
Old 02-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #7  

i agree with jiffypop. almost everyone there is there for the same reason. they want to be healthy also. i work out in the guys area as well and find the guys either quite helpful or totalling ingoring, which is fine with me. you really have to find what is comfortable for you. you may be more comfortable at an all womens facility but definately don't let fear stop you from trying a regular gym. the benefits well outweigh the fear.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

oh. and one more point. once you start talking to people at the gym, you'll hear INCREDIBLE stories, and see people who have more courage than i could ever have. there's one woman who's paralyzed from the waist down, although she has some slight movement in her upper legs, i think. she CRAWLS UP THE STAIRS ON her hands and knees, and then gets her knees onto a skateboard, and pushes herself around on her hands to get to the cardio equipment, and then gets onto one of the cross trainers, resting on her knees. and then reaches up for the hand grips and off she goes! and THEN she crawls back downstairs to her wheelchair, and changes into her bathing suit and swims for a mile or two.

after watching that, i don't complain about the bicep curls. and there are a couple of 85+ year old ladies -always with perfect hair - who show up a couple of mornings a weeks for their weight workouts, and then go to lunch.

and that cute guy with chronic fatigue who can barely stand up some days, and who follows everyone around cheering them on.

really, there's a lot of inspiration there..
Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #9  

Penny here's a website to help you find out if a Curves is nearby. http://www.curvesinternational.com/
Old 02-04-2004, 01:30 PM   #10  

Lots of sound advice from the group! I was terrified the first time I went to the gym, too! All those things you mentioned were true, everybody was too busy with their workouts to really notice. Everybody I spoke to was really helpful, pleasant and supportive. I registered for a session with a trainer for the first gym visit, which was helpful...nice to have somebody on your side as soon as you walk in the door.

If the gym is just too intimidating, have you thought about some other forms of exercise that might work for you? I am no good at working out on my own at home, so I need to have a class. To start I took aquafit classes....I found it an easy way to get exercising (not because the workout was easy!). It worked well for me because I was worried that people in a gym would be looking at me and judging me - You are totally covered by water in aquafit! Also the aquafit classes tended to attract a lot of people who were a the same fitness level as me.

I am still not really a gym person...I walk to and from work (a bit over an hour a day), and I take yoga classes. I really enjoy both!

You need to give yourself a chance to try different types of exercise, so you can see what you enjoy.

Best wishes!
Old 02-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spores
Anyone have any ideas for getting over gym anxiety? As in, "they're all looking at me, I don't belong here, I look ridiculous doing this, they're STILL all looking at me, oh there's a cute boy..." Sound familiar?

I've got 100 pounds to lose and I know I can't do it without exercise. Heck, I even enjoy some exercise when I can get motivated enough to do it. But that motivation isn't going to come from some dusty video tapes in the basement. I need to get out there, frequent the place fit people frequent...the gym.

Maybe I'm still living in the shadow of that sixth-grade gym uniform.

So I went out and bought some cute new gym clothes. I got the membership prices for the nearest fitness centers. I'm all ready.

But I can't seem to get myself through the doors. I know, I know: I have as much right to be there as anyone, and everyone is too concerned with what they are doing to pay any attention to me. But I can't get over that big *ulp* of going in. It's so shiny. It's so full of mirrors. It's so NOT where I feel comfortable, and if I'm going to be flailing my wobbly arms around, I need some comfort. Some safety. With no workout buddy and no idea of the procedure, I feel awfully lost.

Any ideas? How do you get yourself through the doors?
Well, first off, they ARE all looking at you, but NOT for the reason you think. It's like being the new kid in school. You are an unfamiliar face right now. As you go to the gym more, you will start seeing the same faces. Smile at them the first time you see them. Most will smile back. The ones who don't aren't worth the gum on your shoe.

Cute gym clothes help, but they are not going to get your a$$ out of that computer chair & to the gym (I am speaking here from personal experience). They can, however, boost your confidence enough to WANT to go to the gym. And that's half the battle.

For your first time, schedule an evaluation w/a personal trainer. They will walk you around all the equipment, work out a doable program w/you, and re-evaluate you in 3 months to see how far you've come & to change your program to accomodate your new, stronger body.

Don't get me wrong, you will feel like a dork walking around w/the trainer. But I'd say if you can get past the first 2 weeks, you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Forgot to say, yes there are jerks everywhere, just ignore them.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #13  

One other thing that I thought of is that you may be surprised at the friendships you'll make at the gym. I started off not knowing anybody, but now I have friends that I've made there at the gym, and it's nice to have friends that share your interest in getting healthy and working out, and they also motivate you. The encouragement and support that you can gain from them is very helpful. You really will be glad once you get into the routine of it.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #14  

Thanks for the encouragement, all. Inertia is one of the most insidious forces to battle: I know that once I get over the hump of just walking in, things will be all downhill. It's nice to hear that other people have done it. I just have to gather up my gumption and believe that the fate of the world hangs on my ability to defeat a giant lizard in hand-to-hand combat, and walking into a weight room will be a piece of cake. No, not cake. A piece of, um, fruit. Piece of protien bar. Anything but cake.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
but here's the big secret: most of people at the gym, if they're older than like 22, are lumpy and bumpy as well. and struggling with their own weight and food.

i'm 22! wait, i'm 23! ok, well, i go to the YMCA, and to tell you the truth, there is always someone bigger than me there. and someone smaller. and i feel comfortable, even changing or taking a shower. nice atmosphere, family oriented. if there's one's nearby, try them.
Closed Thread