Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

Default scale hasn't budged in 5 days, am I doing something wrong?

I'm pretty early in the weight loss process - started 11 days ago. I had a 3lb loss quickly, but now the scale has been stuck for about 5 days. I KNOW this can't be a plateau this soon.

Just asking those who are further along for whether this is normal. Should I just be patient, or should I change things up and see if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm pretty much following a low carb diet because I'm pre-diabetic and have been told in the past its the best way to eat for me. But I try to carb cycle... super low carb days (lean meats and veggies) with "high" carb days, but the high carb days mean I have just a few more carbs with a high glycemic index. No pure sugars, no sodas, no overeating of any sort - I eat 5 small meals a day.

I FEEL different... and like I "should" be losing weight, but am surprised every time I step on the scale and see the same number. What gives? (or doesn't)
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #2  

I wouldn't worry too much yet. A plateau is 3-4 weeks minimum of no loss, not days. I've lost 102# and I have went 18 days with the scale not moving and I've only been dieting this year (so I am still losing more than 2# a week on average). I hope you have a loss again soon!

Traveller
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #3  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Hi Facingfacts12.
I agree with Traveller.
In my original weightloss journey, I lost over 150#s. Then I once stalled somewhere between 2-4 weeks. I believe it was about 17 days.

This early I'd bet yours is water. I'm sure it will soon budge.

Last edited by Desire2b; 09-21-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #4  

thank you so much for the encouragement ladies! I'm definitely going to be more "stubborn" than this weight!
I guess I was just wondering if I'm not doing enough to make weight loss happen. I've certainly made huge changes from how I used to eat. I haven't started exercising yet or counting calories per se (I just watch portions and avoid "bad" foods)
congratulations to both of you on that amazing weight loss! If I could ever lose 100# that would be a dream come true...
Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

This happens. Nothing makes it less frustrating either. Stay the course. I am having that kind of week myself but am averaging a bit over 2lbs a week. This article helped me.

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I would reiterate what the others have said, but also add that you are at the point where, if you choose, you can make some pretty straight forward changes and see some results. Most plateaus, they say, are not due to your body stalling. They're due to people not realizing how much they're eating or overestimating how much they're burning. It is really easy to underestimate calories ingested if you're not tracking, and even lean proteins can add up pretty quickly. Not saying that this is happening to you. Just saying that it might be worth tracking for a few days to get a better idea of your status quo so you can determine whether you want to change up what you're doing.

Congratulations on your early loss and your commitment! It is, at least in my experience, super hard to get through the first week or so of a new eating strategy.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #7  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I admire your commitment to yourself, FacingFacts12.
I see you amazing yourself in the coming weeks.

When I shared my original wt loss (in a cpl replies) it was to emphasize it can be done. I think I looked showy over it and that's not what I was trying to achieve. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
--

I wanted to share with you, as I know you'll see how there are the non scale victories (NSVs) and that scale can be a demon waiting to mock each of us. Although some feel the scale is important, doc offices and others. I feel the tape measure can be a nice barometer at seeing your achievements!
Not every day but possibly biwkly. Check various areas. You might already do this. I'm sorry if I'm over sharing.
I look at my measurements of thighs, hips, waist, upper arms and bust.
Everyone is different but were I to concentrate on just 1-2
areas or just the scale, I might believe my efforts are meaningless.
As a matter of fact until I checked today, I might had thought my
efforts weren't showing rewards and thrown myself at any binge the weekend might offer me. Happily I learned my inches lost since my last
measuring is 6+! Now obviously the more wt someone wants to lose, they might very well see a lot of inches earlier lost.
If I can be of help I'mhappy to but if I'm offering too much, again I apologize.

All the best of success to you!
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/250/215

Height: 5'11

Weight loss is a Marathon not a Sprint.

We all hate when the scale doesn't move.
powerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #9  

I can't thank you enough ladies - this has been so helpful, even if just to remind myself of the facts. And LaurieDawn, great points, which is exactly why I was scared worried if I am not doing enough. The scale has finally moved now so at least I know I'm moving in the right direction - it can definitely be a tease. No matter what.. I'm not stopping.. and I'm taking any little win I can - like a lower blood sugar reading, better blood pressure reading... inches...good feeling... whatever Every day I vow to myself to be healthy the rest of my life... and on any given day I can just do it for that one day