Old 08-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Good afternoon

This thread has sure gone quiet. I hope everyone is well and having a good week.

My Administrative Assistant has been doing Weight Watchers since March when I hired her and looks fantastic! I believe she's down nearly 30 pounds. She's two years from retirement and seems to be getting smaller by the day. She's an inspiration and clearly her success flies in the face of the common assumption that it's nearly impossible to lose weight as you age and especially after menopause. We had a funny and good discussion about belly fat this morning. I don't know if I can commit to a program as I was so successful on my own last time however, it has me thinking.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #47  
Gizmo

curvynotlumpy congratulations on getting your course accredited for upper division! The story about your co-worker close to retirement who is still losing weight and looking great is an encouragement to us all. I'm like you, I like to think that I can do this on my own, because I have the knowledge and the tools are right there online as well. I'm not so much into programs or groups.

The route for the parade is about 3km and would normally take about 40-45 minutes to walk, which is something I can handle. But because we stop/start often, it takes about 2 hours overall, if memory serves me right. I'll do my best, I want to support my employees taking part and it's for a worthy cause.

Back to exercising this morning after taking a break yesterday. I noticed that my pattern so far seems to be 3 days on, 1 day off, which is fine by me. My eating is still in check, this is the longest I've been on plan during a month since I don't know when.

01: 35-minute walk
02: 20 minutes pilates + 10 minutes abs workout
03: day off
04: 35-minute walk
05: 23 minutes of cardio + 20-minute upper body workout
06: 22 minutes of cardio + 10-minute abs workout
07: day off
08: 35-minute walk + 22-minute kickboxing workout
09: 45-minute walk
10: 25-minute lower body workout
11: 20 minutes of cardio
12: no exercise
13: no exercise
14: 20 minutes of cardio + 10-minute upper body workout
15: 24 minutes of kickboxing cardio
16: 24 minutes of cardio
17: day off
18: 20 minutes of pilates
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #48  

curvynotlumpy what great moral support to have at work from your colleague! Weight Watchers is a great program for a lot of people.

Martine good luck with the parade, sounds like fun. I've been exercising daily because I don't work and I am sedentary without it, but I was thinking of adding in some rest days (maybe once a week) once I get to onederland.

Speaking of Onederland, I am 4 pounds away from it today. Last week was awful, I dieted and worked out 1.5 hours a day and gained 3.8#. I have lost 6# so far this week though so I think its just one of those weird blips. I still have hopes of just eeking into onederland this month, but we'll see how things go I guess. I have lost 92# too so I am getting close to the 100# marker too, which is exciting. I just wish I hadn't let things get so out of hand when the doctor put me on a weight gain causing med and started spinal epidurals of cortisone for bad arthritis in my back. I am fixing it now though, slowly but surely! We'll all get there before much longer I hope.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #49  
Gizmo

Traveller being 4 pounds away from onederland is amazing! If you don't reach it this month, surely the next, you are so close! I commend you for exercising 1,5 hour each day. It is really paying off and I'm sure you feel much healthier from it.

I just walked 45 minutes with Loki to go get my husband at work. He was stuck there from 10:30pm to 3am due to problems with water heaters and got called back at 5am because of a burst pipe. It's now 10:45am and only now things are under control. He's too exhausted to drive back, which is why I walked to his place of work to get him and the car. On the upside, that's my exercise for the day and I'm not feeling any pain in my tendon, so I'm hopeful for the parade tomorrow. Hope everyone will enjoy a great day!

19: 45-minute walk

Last edited by Martine; 08-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #50  

Good morning

Today is move in day for the three week summer residential program my university runs each year for low-income, first generation students. I'm helping to hand out lunch tickets and make sure that everyone is a registered participant. For move in days, students are allowed to bring their parents and one other guest. The end tally is about 450-500 people with half of those being students in the program.

Traveller: I am so excited for you; four pounds from Onderland! That is a big deal. And 92 pounds is just fantastic and a testament to your commitment to your health and the journey. There is still a generous amount of time in this month so I wouldn't be too sure that you can't meet your goal. Regardless of how much you lose, you'll be that much closer, right?

Martine: So great to hear that the tendon is feeling better! You've been in my thoughts since you mentioned it. Your DH must have hit the bed once you got him home. Yes, ma'am, your exercise is done for the day! Sending up a prayer and keeping my fingers that you experience no trouble with your tendon during the parade and that you enjoy it to the fullest.

Gotta go, lunch for the guests awaits! Have a great day everyone

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #51  
Cupcake lover

S/C/G: 270/260/135

Height: 5'5

Traveller AMAZING PROGRESS! So close to Onederland AND almost 100lbs down. I aspire. It can be tough looking forward at all I still have to lose, and it gets so disheartening. Onederland will be my halfway point and the closer I get sometimes the further away it feels. Thank you for being so honest about the setbacks, it really helps those who are dragging behind you I cannot wait to be where you're at.

Martine How was the parade? How's the tendon?

Curvy Sounds like a busy weekend for you! Are you off tomorrow to recover?

It's Eclipse time here in SC. My city is in the direct line of totality (we get the best view, basically.) People have flocked to us including some friends, which includes some unexpected meals and unexpected calories. Trying my best to stay on track!

8/1: 222.6
8/6: 222.6
8/13: 218.4
8/20: 215.8
8/27:
8/31:
gulfmagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #52  

Good morning

With each passing day or overnight's get cooler and cooler. Windows wide open and tucked under my covers makes it difficult for me to get up in the morning. I'm bringing a dessert to the Monday night dinner I attend each week. I've decided to make a simple single layer yellow cake with chocolate ganache. I haven't decided if I'll use the ganache as is or to whip it. I'm anticipating few leftovers which is my goal.

Traveller: You're absolutely right, Weight Watchers is a very reputable program and wonderfully humane in their approach to weight loss. I have a couple of friends who are Lifetime members, one is former counselor, and she used to tell me about the different weekly lessons she'd put together for members. This was when we were in graduate school and she was earning extra money while she completed her Ph.D. in nutrition. The skills/lessons she taught were so reasonable and she loved working with the other members regardless of where they were at on their journey. If I were going to do any organized program, it would be Weigh Watchers.

Martine: I've been thinking about you and the parade walk all morning. Let us know how it went.

gulfmagnolia: Seems like many are in the throes of eclipse mania! You're going to have an awesome vantage point! I'm originally from Nebraska but now live on the West Coast. Here we'll see around 75% coverage; back home, 99.5% coverage. As in South Carolina, hotel rooms are scarce. Good luck with your food plan during this time but if things go wacky, it's not often that one can claim it's because of 'Eclipse Eating' so revel in the uniqueness.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #53  
Gizmo

gulfmagnolia people are going crazy over this eclipse. Here the sun will be about 60% covered. Hope everyone around you got their glasses ready, it'll be spectacular to see. The number on the scale keeps going down, way to go!

curvynotlumpy your cake sounds delicious. I actually love sleeping with windows wide open. But it's been quite hot and humid these past few days so we've had to keep the ac on.

So i'm back from the Montréal pride parade. I was on my feet from 10:30am to about 4:00pm. We were towards the end of the parade and the wait was brutal, we only started walking by 1:40pm. Walked roughly 5km today in total, over 13 000 steps. My tendon is ok, thank you for asking. But my feet are killing me. It was a gorgeous, sunny and hot day and a lot of fun. Now I need to rest. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

20: 5km walking

Last edited by Martine; 08-20-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #54  
Gizmo

Good Tuesday morning! Hope those of you who were in the path of the full eclipse enjoyed the show. We'll get our in 2024. I am unable to exercise today due to a queasy stomach. I think I may have caught the gastro that two of my coworkers have had. No throwing up but I feel nauseous. Hope it won't get worse than it is now.

Hope everyone is doing well

35-minute walk
21: day off
22: no exercise
Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #55  

Good morning

This is my first day in the office all week. Monday I was off and Tuesday at our Associate Vice Chancellor's retreat, so I haven't quite caught my bearings. Eating and exercise has been a wash this week but weight has remained steady. Monday's cake turned out well and the ganache was a nice complement to it. I also used the last of the strawberries I had in the refrigerator, sliced them in half and placed them on top of the ganache.

Martine: I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Something is going around in the office as 'out ill' email messages have come from several colleagues this week. I hope your illness is relegated to only being nauseated.

I have another long meeting today but tomorrow my calendar is clear which is what I need to catch up.

I hope everyone's Wednesday is a good one.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 291.1/ticker/161

Height: 5'11.5"

Hi there everyone ! I've pretty much been MIA for the month of August . So much change has been happening in my personal life that I've felt like I haven't been able to keep up, and instead of cutting out things like lounging around and bad habits, I cut out posting here and chatting with you lovely folks. Skimming through everyone's posts this month, it looks like y'all are having a good month so far. I just wanted to check in and say hi, and I'll see you all in the September thread once it comes up. It will be time for a reset and this will give me a few days to mentally prepare. I look forward to getting back into the swing of things, as I've missed you all and your invaluable support. I hope all is well! Thanks for "listening," I'll get off of my now
RunningRedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #57  

and good afternoon.

Good to hear from you, RunningRedHead! MIA is perfectly fine if you're doing alright. Life and motivation often get in the way of our best intentions or what is good for us, so don't for a second you're alone in the boat.

My August hasn't been great either. I've been doing some soul searching regarding what I say I want, and what I actually do to achieve what I want. My ticker hasn't moved in ages so you can see how serious I've been. However, find me nearly any day of the week and I will have an excuse for you. I've been spending some time reading other threads where motivation and commitment pop up as topics and they've made me think. Last weekend I was going through my closet and I have the foundation of a wonderful wardrobe and I don't even have to lose ALL the weight wear things. Twenty pounds would get me comfortably into a few skirts and couple of brand new pairs of pants. I can only be so because this is something that is completely within my control.

The only thing we can do is keep moving, right? So, as another poster said, "onward and downward."

Regardless of my frustration, I choose to have a lovely rest of the day and wish others the same.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #58  
Gizmo

RunningRedHead nice to see you again I can relate to needing to reset. The important thing is that you are ok and getting back into the swing of things will help.

curvynotlumpy I hope you find the answer to what you really want so you can achieve your goal. It's true though that we tend to look at weight loss as this big thing when even the smallest loss makes a difference.

So since Sunday's walk, I have had no energy and have found excuses not to exercise. I know I will start again soon but this week was a wash. At least I'm still eating well, usually when I feel so tired, everything goes out the window.

One thing that is on my mind is the fact that one of my coworkers finally has a date set for weight reduction surgery. I'm happy for her but I know what this means, ie she'll see the pounds go down really fast while I'll still be exercising and trying my hardest to just go down one pound at a time. I just hope that I can keep motivated through it all. And I will be honest, remaining the only overweight person on our team is disheartening and I feel bad for even thinking this way. I just have to get pass this and move forward no matter what.

Hope everyone is having a nice end to the week.

21: day off
22: no exercise
23: no exercise
24: no exercise

Last edited by Martine; 08-25-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #59  

friends and happy Friday!

I've mostly been out of the office this week due to retreats and long meetings but the week felt long and drawn out.

Martine, I wish your colleague nothing but the best with the preparation and actual surgery. I don't know her history but I think if I had never been in control of my weight or experienced weight loss, it might be something I would think seriously about. Weight loss surgery is a very personal choice and with it comes some hard lifestyle changes that frankly I'm not willing to make. It doesn't sound like it's for you either at this time. This is where the soul searching and finding peace with whatever our respective approach is or will be comes into play. In some respects I think it helps if we carry on as if we were wearing blinders. Acknowledge that others are doing well, losing weight, etc., but have confidence that what we're doing is equally personal and valid and can lead to success. There are a a bunch of things I could be doing differently that would lead to success, but I have chosen, yes, chosen not to do. The folks who are successful and who I look upon with both pride and envy make the hard choices if not daily, more often than not. Keep working your plan and making adjustments. No doubt it probably will suck to watch her drop weight quickly but her dropping weight doesn't mean that you have to stop, right? It's a marathon and not a sprint.

One final thing: It is clear from your descriptions of how you support your team and they you, that whether overweight or not they appreciate and defer to your leadership. This is priceless!

Wishing everyone a wonderful start to their weekend!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 08-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #60  

Good morning

Just dropping by for a quick . While our evenings have become so pleasant and cool, summer isn't over and we're going to be hit with several consecutive 100+ degree days. One hundred and four today and 106 tomorrow and Monday. Yikes!

Now, I'm off to run errands. Have a great day everyone!