Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #61  

Height: 5'5"

Hope everyone had a great Fourth of July holiday!

Lilion - Your decision to live until 80 cracked me up! But you're exactly right. And I find it interesting that you work for the state AND you have an office where you can close the door. You must be way more important than those of us who reside in Cubeland. ;-) With few exceptions, my fellow state employees and I work out of tiny cubes and involuntarily listen to everyone else's phone conversations. And yay! for enjoying the funnel cake and for being able to stop eating it when you stopped enjoying it. That last part is a skill that I am still developing. Sometimes, I have no problem remembering that I don't have to eat all of it just because it's there.

Frances - Those medical struggles have to be incredibly frustrating. Glad you're able to get in to your doctor, and I hope the medical intervention is both effective and fast-acting. When I get frustrated with the scale (for far more mundane reasons than yours), I try to enjoy the process. Of course, your inability to use your ankle at the gym is an obstacle there as well. I wish it was easier for you. Can you still lift weights, though? Bench pressing, shoulder presses, etc. don't require the use of the ankle. And we have a rowing machine at my gym. Maybe there's some cardio equipment at yours that doesn't require the use of your ankle? But your "I'm just going to keep trying" declaration is absolutely inspiring. There's nothing harder to do, sometimes, and nothing more important. I hope it gets better for you soon.

I have been doing decently. I forced myself to weigh again, something I don't see happy about. I'm back down to 152. I ate pie and ice cream yesterday, but I also restricted my other food enough that my calories were contained. I also hit the weights pretty hard yesterday, and ran a mile as warm-up. It still amazes me that I can run a mile as a warm-up, when I used to struggle hard to be able to approach that. I am also getting used to packing a gym bag and leaving it in the car at all times again, a habit I lost when I was recovering from surgery. Things are good. And, if y'all don't mind a bit of bragging, can I say that, for the first time in my life, I have some definition in my abs when I "suck in?" My stomach is flat even without effort, but I see two vertical lines when I suck in my gut. Maybe I can get me a six-pack if I work hard enough? =)

I still need to create a new work-out log, and I will try to do that today. I'm also going to try to do seven days of no sugar. We're doing a short road trip starting tomorrow for a family reunion, so I will be hanging out with kids and hubby a lot, and that can make the 'no sugar' thing a bit tough. But I think it's time.

Hope everyone has a great post-holiday day!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Just a quick check-in from me today. I am not too pleased with how the weekend went. I had guests over on Saturday night where I made a decision not to count calories and def overate because of it (but it was all whole food, plant based so at least I have that going for me). Then I had a last-minute surprise visit from my brother and his family and ended up out to breakfast with them where the only thing on the menu I could eat was hash brown potatoes and a side of fruit. I haven't had a single drop of oil since February and then basically had a plate of grease for breakfast. I still feel disgusting. I have been so tired, queasy, grumpy, and - tmi - pretty bad digestion issues for 3 days in a row. Even Smooth Move tea didn't help move things along. So 'bloated' is an understatement and constant tummy discomfort has become my reality.

LESSON LEARNED.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #63  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that I'm back at work. I need to catch up today, so I'll just have a quick post. Hope everyone had a good 4th!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #64  

Welcome back Frances! No crawling…head held HIGH! We’ve all been there and there’s no judgment. Health issues can be so rough, I'm sure...you keep trying and you’ll win the day!

LaurieDawn – YAY on the 152, even with pie and ice cream! And YAY on the 6-pack-to-be. You can do it! In my office the clerical workers have cubes, but everyone else has an office. So yeah…it’s pretty nice. I even have enough seniority I have a corner office with a nice view of the capitol. Unfortunately, the other window wall faces a pizza restaurant, so those windows have to stay firmly closed to avoid pizza smell wafting in all day and making me starve!

And big greetings to everyone else too!

4th of July is over and the strange food with it. After my funnel cake my hubby wanted me to pick him up a bison burger from the same vendor and they had elk burgers so I thought, “Why not?” Biggest waste of $7 (each!) ever! Nasty, dry, overcooked hockey pucks of some form of ground meat. Really…I’d have not given $1 for them if I’d had a choice before I went home with them. So after we choked down our mystery meat we went to the Y and had a good workout…then hit Subway because real food was needed. I finished the day with calories to spare – even with the funnel cake.

The actual 4th was just at-home day. I lazed half of it away then cleaned house the other half while dinner crock-potted itself to tender goodness. Venison and wild mushrooms with noodles. In case it sounds like we have a thing for wild game…not really. But husband and I have a piece of forested property and he got to go hunting last year for the first time in ages and we have two deer in the freezer now, so we don’t eat beef. Venison is cheaper, since all you need is to have it processed, and healthier – lean and low fat, and anything you can make with beef, you can make with venison. Pretty much all we eat is venison and chicken now unless we go out.

Today I’m back to work and it’s raining, but I still did a walk. I was interrupted by my veterinarian, and my little girl dog is having an ultrasound later today to check for possible bladder cancer. I’m very worried and so sad. If it is, she has a maximum of a year and I don’t know what I’ll do. Our little boy dog will be devastated without her! They're litter mates and have been together since birth, now they're senior dogs and he's gone blind. He won't understand her suddenly being gone...The whole thing has me quite upset.

If you’re the praying type and inclined, a little prayer for my Suzie would be appreciated.

So….I best get back to work. I’ve been at this much longer than I should.

Last edited by Lilion; 07-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #65  

We did not get good news on our pup. Will be taking her for a second opinion, but the vet was sure. It's just so sad, as she's such a sweet little dog and only 11 or 12 years old. Boston's live quite a long time in general and it never occurred to us we could lose one this way.

I've never had to deal with this with a pet. Feeling kind of lost.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #66  

Oh Lil I'm so sorry. As a fellow dog-mom I really feel for you. Dogs are the best people and for a lot of us, make our lives complete. Give her a lot of love and spoil the heck out of that good girl. She knows she has been loved and will be loved forever. Hang in there, my friend. Side note about your earlier comment about the boy dog not understanding; when the time comes, let him be with her after. His nose will tell him what he needs to know and will be easier for him to adjust.

Last edited by Pacifica Bee; 07-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #67  

Thank you. That's her in the back and Mac in the front in my avatar. I'm just having a harder time with this than I expected today - weepy and emotional. Got her home from the vet yesterday and I swear she was like a puppy, bouncing and barking and playing. She still feels absolutely fine. Had she not had the symptoms of a bladder infection, we'd have never noticed anything amiss. I did some digging since we couldn't remember how old they are and turns out they just turned 12 four days ago. I'm working on getting an oncologist appointment, but it's really just a formality to get a second opinion. From what I've read of this kind of cancer, it's just generally not operable and even medication gives you maybe a year.

I need to go walk. I skipped my morning workout, but I'm just SAD today. I'm really not working either. So much to do and no desire to do it.

Last edited by Lilion; 07-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #68  

Height: 5'7"

Lillion, so sorry about your pup!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #69  
Diane

Aw Lilion! I'm sorry about your pup. I have lots of animals and I know that going through something like that is never easy. They're just special little creatures.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #70  

Thank you Ladies. Sorry to be a downer there. I'm just much more bothered than I want to be and I guess I have to go on with my life here...but I'm sad and it's affecting my work and exercise both. But I shall put on my big-girl (very big) pants and carry on.

So...yesterday my scale said 281. That's a 4 lb drop so I ignored it...following my "see the weight 3x rule". Today it said 280! I haven't seen that weight in a very long time! I really want to log that weight, just so I can see that loss in my slider...but by my own rule, I really should wait to make sure it's not some weird fluctuation. Unfortunately, I have dinner out tonight at a place NOT known for it's healthy choices and I can see that scale not being back down here for a few days. Decisions. Decisions.

Today I WILL exercise. Overslept (again) and skipped the elliptical...so I MUST walk at lunch. It's going to be hot...but I have the coolest place to walk; the interior of our state capitol building. Open to the public seven days a week...two laps around each floor and back to my office is about 1.7 miles of air-conditioned, smooth marble comfort. Power to the people!

My Track!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #71  
Diane

Lilion: Nice track! I love floors like that! And it looks so nice and cool. Very smart walking there.
I also need to work on my oversleeping issue. I'm going to use this weekend for planning and regrouping. I do a lot of that lately. Just too much going on and I need to find my discipline.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #72  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Lilion - I'm so sorry about your pup! And where you work is gorgeous.

Slash - regrouping - yeah, totally on board with that. Sometimes you need to stop and take a big breath. I'm soaking up the sleep this weekend too. No oversleeping, but I have been going to bed before it gets dark.

Laurie - abs! Six pack! you go girl!

Frances - no crawling! You've had a lot on your plate and some real medical struggles. Be proud you are not giving up! Even if you can't lose right now you will be ready to lose again once you're healed up.

Pacifica - I hope your tummy has sorted itself out after your holiday visitors....

Friday I had pizza and ice cream. I was a little worried I'd wake up Saturday and find it impossible to not have more pizza and ice cream but other than craving sugar, Saturday was fine and I'm doing fine today (still want sugar, but it's less compelling). That's always my downfall - going off the rails and then totally forgetting there was a track I was on at all. But I seemed to have managed okay this time. Earlier this week I had a cake pop at work. It wasn't very good. As I was eating it I thought "yuck, this is kinda weird" but I still had trouble all night long not going and eating the other one. Sugar is just insidious. So no sugar for me for a bit till my brain recovers some equilibrium.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #73  

Good morning!

Lilion - I am so sorry to hear about your furbaby. And I disagree that you are feeling more than you "should." It is hard. I hope you find a way to be at peace again, though. I am excited to hear about the scale dropping, though! I appreciated you 3X rule, but that would be so hard for me to follow. And you have inspired me with your walking plan! At our Capitol Complex, we have tunnels that connect the buildings, and I often walk there during the very cold winters, but it's too muggy during the summer. Our Capitol is open to the public as well, though. I might spend some time walking around there to avoid the heat today.

Diane - I have been talking about planning and regrouping, and it feels like I really need to do that today, with both exercise and nutrition. I, however, am never disciplined enough to get up in the morning to exercise, and have just learned to accept that about myself. =) I do very much admire that you manage it so consistently in general, though. Word on the motivation tapes, though, says that compliance with goals is better when you commit to it out loud to someone else, so here it is. By this time tomorrow, I will have created weekly planners for the next four weeks that include the specific exercise routines for when I am lifting weights, and have check-offs for my running days.

Frances - Hope things are going well, and that your health issues are improving.

Vladadog - Yes. Yes. Yes. You are exactly right. Sugar is insidious. And I find myself searching for it regularly, and accepting less than optimal sugar options (read - stuff I don't actually like very much) because my drive to consume sugar hits a high pitch so easily. I am going to follow your lead and try to resist sugar entirely for the next week.

I had an up-and-down weekend with food compliance / exercise. I feel okay about it, but I know I need to do better. I had a "no sugar" plan that went really well on the drive down, but I actually forgot that I had resolved to not eat any sugar, and ended up eating a way more of it than I needed. Ugh. So, as I committed to Diane above, I will create four weeks worth of planners for my exercise routines. I am a little more on top of it at work, and not planning on taking any additional time off until February, so I should be able to handle do better. I am still doing okay with maintaining, but I caught myself AGAIN eating the raw cookie dough that my husband had purchased, and realized that I had eaten half the tube over the course of the day. This is the kind of "casual bingeing" I find myself doing when I am just not paying attention to what I eat. Imma do better.

Goals to accomplish by 10:00 a.m. on 7/11/ 2017:
1 - Map out four weeks' worth of exercise plans
2 - Toss out the cookie dough / things in my house that I have difficulty resisting
3 - Weigh myself
4 - Purchase appropriate food for the next week
5 - No sugar (except for the fake ice cream) for the next week. NO sugar. I need to put this on my "to do" list. No sugar.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #74  

Hello all. I appreciate the kind words about my baby girl. It's so odd because she seems to be just FINE right now. But I guess that's what we want for as long as we can have it.

It was a weird weekend. My husband and I (well, really my husband) have volunteered to clean our church as we've lost our custodian. It's about 10 hours per week (5 hours per person) is all, but it seems to take all our free time. Anyway, we forgot we were supposed to start on the July 2nd! So we had to do all of it Saturday, spending our whole Saturday cleaning. I don't clean my house for 5 hours straight! At least I got plenty of activity. Sunday we did our usual routine, which is church, YMCA, and housework. But at the Y my husband started feeling cruddy and I got 4 minutes on the elliptical...so off we went home. I did go shopping and got all our housework and laundry and such done, but no real exercise..AND I skipped the elliptical this morning! So I've had VERY little exercise. Got to get moving today but it's HOT. The heat index is supposed to be in the 100's all week...so the marble halls of the capitol are calling. The only down side is I hate to change into my workout gear and go there...so I don't get a real good workout in...but moving is moving.

Hope you all have a good Monday!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #75  

My body still has not recovered from the poor choices I made last weekend. It is very defeating to go from a steady loss of 2-3 lbs per week to hovering at the same weight +/-2 lbs for 10 days in a row. Seriously... this is such an eye opening lesson I have unfortunately taught myself. I am trying very hard to stay on track. Seeing the numbers on the scale has also made me decide to take the plunge to the weekly weigh-ins instead of daily. Driving myself crazy is giving me a defeatist attitude and I am not really on board with my inner saboteur taking over after only 5 months back on the wagon.

Vlad: sugar has the same addictive power as heroin and other hard drugs. How crazy is that? Interesting article from last month: What Cookies and Meth Have in Common.