Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Finally a breakfast food that works for me

I have always liked the taste of a hot bowl of oatmeal, but I am not very good at doing much anything for breakfast. Well I just found the perfect solution for me at least. The Breakfast Squares from Quaker Oatmeal. They claim they are a whole bowl of oatmeal and they are suprsingly filling and taste great. I have only tried the Brown Sugar Cinamon and there are 2 other flavors.

One square has 220 calories, 4g total fat and 1g saturated fat. Not bad. 15mg cholesterol and 240mg sodium which is 10% of the rda. Not great on the sodium. They also have 2g dietary fiber again not great but at least something. That is 10% of the rda for fiber.

Anyhow they work for me and I found out for my coworker as well. You put them in a microwave for 10 seconds or so and they do taste like a hot bowl of oatmeal. I got a 6 count box for $2.04 at Target but my friend said at a Sam's Club it was an unbelivable $6 for a 12 box, where each of the 12 had the 6 squares.

Old 08-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

They sound good ~ think I would like to try them.

Gayle
Old 09-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Today I tried the Baked Apple flavor of Quaker Oatmeal On the Go bars (sounds similar to what you have). It was definitely hearty and easy. Nice and chewy. A bit too sweet for me, though. I'm finding that many of the "breakfast bars" are too sweet for my tastes now -- from Nature Valley Granola to Nutrigrain Yogurt bars to Special K with Strawberries bars.

I may just go back to an old basic eatable-at-work oatmeal recipe:

Take a couple cups of regular oatmeal, a handful of walnuts, a quarter cup of bran, and some cinnamon. Add some brown sugar or raisins if you like. Whir it all up in the food processor til it's very fine. Put it in a small canister and take it to work. I can add hot water from the water cooler to this and it's tasty -- cooked in the microwave is even better. And I know EXACTLY what's in it. If it's too sweet, it's my fault.
Closed Thread