Old 11-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265

Height: 5'7

Default Journey to lose 100+ pounds

Hello everyone

I lost 100 pounds 3-4 years ago, but very quickly gained it all back. Since then Ive constantly been trying to lose weight, but failing.

This time I have decided that it might be nice to create a support system, and document my weight loss!

Im currently 258 pounds, and hoping to reach 140. I weigh in every monday evening as Slimming world, and will be posting on this thread weekly!

If you are also on a weightloss journey or want to share support, please comment and we can do this together!!

- Charlene
CharleneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #2  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

WELCOME!!

I was actually going to ask as I was reading through your post if you lost the 100lbs last time with Slimming World?

I am not going to lie, nearly everyone I know who have lost with slimming world has lost a power of weight! but gained if not all then at least half of it back. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work, It just means that it actually doesn't teach people anything about food or how to maintain PROPERLY. It just means that you need to be aware of the bad points so that you can maintain effectively once you reach your goal.

Things like Pasta being syn free, completely mindblows any PT or dietitian because pasta is very high in carbs and has soooo many calories in it.

Once you feel that you are starting to plateau on slimming world, I would advise to switch to calorie counting and working with My Fitness Pal. I started at 323lbs and I am currently 284.5lbs, and I know that my body will need proper toning up, this means weight lifting and resistance training. To be able to get that right, I need to have perfect macros and understand a lot about protein, working out, and calorie counting.

Keep us updated

And again welcome
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #3  

To be honest, last time I lost weight I had gallstones and they were so bad I physically could not eat anything unhealthy. So everytime I try to diet now it doesn't work, because I never learnt moderation.
But I did use myfitnesspal after I got my gallstones out and maintained with that for about 6 months, and its a brilliant tool! I am mostly doing slimming world for the accountability and weigh in, rather than following their system.
Im not a big fan of pasta and bread, so the slimming world diet doesnt excite me much.

Thank for all the tips, and congratulations on your great progress!

- Charlene
Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #4  
Determind Member

Ohh Gallstones are awful!

Slimming world is great in the case of accountability!

I would say, stick to MFP if you have already been using it for a little bit. Work out how many calories you eat per day to maintain, then drop by 100 calories at a time before seeing a movement in the scale. After you have found your weightloss calories, then start to learn about what is in your calories (MACROS), read up on it and find out what you should be feeding your body. I did calorie control until 35lbs off, then I changed to MACROS and started upping my protein and lowering my carbs.

I hope some of this helps and gives you some ideas on where to start and what journey you will take
Old 12-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/218/160

Height: 5'3

Hello Charlene! I am in that same boat. I lost 60lbs about 5 years ago, and have since gained 100lbs back. I would love to get down to 140 again, but truthfully I found through that journey that my body sits most comfortably around 160 so I would be thrilled to get to the 160-165 range. I would love to follow this thread and share successes and challenges with you as I'm on the journey to lose 80, down 20 so far so 60 left. Its definitely disheartening to have to start that journey all over again knowing how difficult it was the first time, but I am soooooo excited to reclaim my body, health, and confidence back.

PS - Scotsgal is awesome, gives great advice and is super active on 3FC.
aliisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #6  
Determind Member

Go me being recommended!

Thanks Aliisa, I'll pay you later
Old 12-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

Im having my final weigh in tomorrow before I go on christmas holiday for 2.5 weeks. Im very excited for that, but going to try not too over eat too much and make sure I move tons
Old 12-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliisa View Post
Hello Charlene! I am in that same boat. I lost 60lbs about 5 years ago, and have since gained 100lbs back. I would love to get down to 140 again, but truthfully I found through that journey that my body sits most comfortably around 160 so I would be thrilled to get to the 160-165 range. I would love to follow this thread and share successes and challenges with you as I'm on the journey to lose 80, down 20 so far so 60 left. Its definitely disheartening to have to start that journey all over again knowing how difficult it was the first time, but I am soooooo excited to reclaim my body, health, and confidence back.

PS - Scotsgal is awesome, gives great advice and is super active on 3FC.
I find that having lost the weight before is actually making it harder. Ill always tell my self "oh ill just gain it all back again" or "im not good enough so whats the point" So Im really trying to forget that I used to be a lot smaller, but its hard when other people will always comment "oh youre still big"
Old 12-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #9  
Determind Member

Haters are gonna hate...

You need to get your head prepared and strong for going on your last weight loss journey, if your head isn't in the right place, then you will always make excuses about why you shouldn't do something. You really need to be prepared for people to not understand why you are losing, or for people to not see your loss and ask if you are still even trying to lose weight. Maybe try out a new "don't give a S**t" attitude so that when people say anything you can just shrug it off without it affecting your motivation. Change words to when you get down to your goal instead of IF your get down to your goal and things like that. When you convince yourself that you are going to achieve your goals, it is an easier ride.

The last time you also didn't lose it properly, so make sure that you are learning about calories and macros and create a new healthy lifestyle instead on going on a "diet". You are more than likely to never put it back on this way.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #10  

Thank you for all the advice Scotsgal

Im now home from christmas. I went for nearly 3 weeks, and saw a 5 pound gain. Not suprised, but ready to get back into it.

Ive now been eating healthy for 9 days, and down 2 pounds today.

I havnt gotten back to the gym as its intense exam period but Ive managed to both cut diet coke and started eating healthy, so id say new years is going well.

Ive also counted calories every day (even when i was naughty), which is probably my biggest goal for the year, as counting is accountability!

Thank you, and hope you all follow me on my journey

Starting weight: 258
Current: 260
Goal: 140
Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #11  
Determind Member

Hey! Well done!

I gained about 4.6lbs over xmas and that was with me trying to be good lol. I started up at the gym again for the first time in about 8 months, so my body is thanking me through copious amounts of pain

Counting, Accountability and consistancy will be your main motivators

Keep at it!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/251/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

Charlene ~

Oh Yes I'm on a 100+ Weight loss journey as well. I've been on my weight loss journey since Jan. 16th 2014 so it's been a very slow weight loss progress. I had wished in the beginning that I was at goal by now but thinking about it I realized that it's better to lose weight slowly then to lose it fast cause I've heard that your chances of keeping off the weight when you lose it slowly is higher then losing weight fast. I believe you have a higher chance of gaining your weight back if you lose it fast. That's just what I heard though. Anyway I would love to lose your weight together. Kinda like being weight loss buddies. ~ Terra
Terra84 is offline   Reply With Quote