Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Inaccurate scale!!!!

I have used the same scale for years. I thought maybe it was a little off (it seemed about 3 or 4 lbs off compared to WW), but I had always used it as my guide, so I wasn't worried. My brother gave me his scale and I was excited because it goes to 330 and although I didn't need it, it was a nice feature to have. I get on the thing and it weighs almost 9 lbs heavier than mine.

It's so wierd, if I put my 16 lb weights on them, they both say 16. But if I get on one and then get on the next, almost 9 lbs difference. DH saw a 4 or 5 lb difference, so I am thinking that my old one must get less accurate with more weight. I will be up (alot!) on Monday due to vacation, but I am just sick over having to add 8 or 9 lbs due to the more accurate scale.

I'd love to ignore it and use my old one, but now I just don't think it's right.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #2  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Oh man, I would be upset too! Is there any way that you can go to the Dr and weigh yourself so that you know for sure?
Old 08-23-2003, 12:41 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

How annoying for you JM! I know we're only supposed to weigh ourselves once a week, but I'm addicted to weighing myself at least once (and usually more) every day even though, like yours, my scales are regularly 3 or 4 lbs. different than the ones at Weight Watchers - I just feel a need to see the number, even though I can fluctuate a few pounds in the same day! I think it's a psychological thing to keep me on track and away from mindless snacking.

Anyway, I guess I should be saying that you should forget about your scales and your brother's scales and just rely totally on the once a week weigh-in at Weight Watchers, using reliable scales - but I don't even follow my own advice
Old 08-23-2003, 09:37 AM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

yes, that does suck!
where did you get your starting weight from? ww or that scale?

Dana
Old 08-23-2003, 11:23 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I always go by my home scales as I really don't think what I weigh is really important. I know it is accurate enough to show if I am gaining or losing weight.

My scale does funny things too with lighter weights. For example if I weigh my 2 year old son the home scale will agree with the dr's office scale but my weight is always out by about 10 lbs.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:43 AM   #6  

Sandi,

That does really stink!! The scale can be so frustrating. Have you checked it against the WW Scale or your Dr.'s scale though? Maybe the new scale is off.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:49 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Ooo ooo! I have a suggestion! How about throwing both scales away!!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:53 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

So the "new scale" is about 4 lbs heaver and the accurate one I think.

If I threw the scale away, I weigh even more. It's my check point. I only get on once or twice a week.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I only weigh in about once a month because I really retain a lot of water around my period and it is discouraging seeing a 5 lbs gain. I try to hit about the middle of my cycle and figure that is about the most accurate.
Closed Thread