Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #76  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I'll join in. I hope to be out of the 220's by the end of may but I have had a hard time losing even when staying strictly on plan for a while now.

I lost 60 lbs 9 years ago and maintained it for quite a while, was a marathon runner who lifted weights and did yoga and then had 3 accidents in 18 months followed by a mysterious GI issue (yep, I've tried that, whatever it was you were thinking of suggesting) that made me constantly nauseated unless I had easy to digest (aka white carbs) in my stomach at all times. Kind of like 7 years of morning sickness. Which isnt to say I didn't also take out my depression from all of the above with a load of food. +100 lbs later I am attempting yet again to do this while managing THAT. I have been doing ok the last couple months on the nausea, I may have finally found a more effective panacea than buttered toast. Knock wood. I struggle with my mood when I work out now, because it is hard to be the person who used to run a 5 minute mile and thought a half marathon was a light weekend, and now I can't even run for 5 minutes at any pace.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

ennay: Welcome! I hope you breeze through the 220s, I long to finally get into them and then move on! I can't offer any suggestions, when I actually had morning sickness I ate potato soup all the time. I don't know if it was the potato or just the heavier warmth that helped me out - I still love a good potato soup As for the running, life does get in the way, but you have done this journey before and you know you can do it again. Maybe not at the speeds or distances in the past as we age sometimes the old body declines a bit, but hey you are moving and every little bit of that helps you out. You'll get back to it with time and persistence.

AM: Tomorrows mini goal if you want to call it that is a hop on the scale and a check to see what all the celebrating did to me. So I offer it up to you all - a mini challenge if you'd like = how about we see about dropping 5 lbs in two weeks time? Or would it need to be 3 weeks? I can just say I will be loosing the same freaking weight over again that I have a few months ago - but hey if I can get it off then move on, I will be good. If you'd like to participate, there are no winnings other than for your body to be rid of a 5# bag of flour, post your start weight in your post and what your goal weight will be. We can pick a day for the final reveal. I know it helps me to post my daily weigh in to remain focused on doing my best.

Lets get out of these two decades and move on down the line!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #78  

Sadly, I weighed myself. Sadly, the scale went up. HOWEVER, I AIM to beat that number back and thensome! I know you will all encourage me to do so. With that said:

SW: 238.4
GW: 233.4

If it helps anyone, then if you'd like daily you can post your daily weight too. I think I might try that this time. Anything to help be encouraged I guess.

Let me know if this is a two or three week time frame for loss.

Happy loosing, we can do this together.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #79  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

223.6 today

I was afraid the weekend would have lasting bad results, DH had a baseball tourney quite a ways away and food got all messed up and I ate waaaay too much. I ended up with an exhaustion-binge Sunday night But I was standing and cheering and pacing for hours so maybe that balanced more than I thought.

It might be a good idea to plan an extra 3-400 calories on tourney days and see if the ravenous hunger that I had this weekend can be managed better
Old 05-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #80  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Lemonthyme: That sounds like a great idea, to have a challenge. I think we should try for 2 weeks. It is setting the goal kind of high, but maybe a push like that will help? These kinds of challenges really help me because it does specify a start time and end time. We can always get another challenge after that, too, but for now... that sounds great. I, however, did not get on the scale again today. Fear... And the fact that my husband was late coming home last night and I very much went down a bad path, snacking a lot before dinner. I will check it in the morning.

Ennay: Welcome! Yep, I think you'd be smart to figure in the extra calories. It is really hard to keep on track with things like that. Oh, and on the running. Wow! 5 minute miles? I run, but never that fast. I have decent endurance, but I'm really, really slow.

Tonight is running time after work. It is a gorgeous day, so no reason I can't run outside. I have to be careful though. Running gives me an appetite like nothing else. I tend to overcompensate and overeat after running. SO, the plan is to be disciplined!!!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #81  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post

Ennay: Welcome! Yep, I think you'd be smart to figure in the extra calories. It is really hard to keep on track with things like that. Oh, and on the running. Wow! 5 minute miles? I run, but never that fast. I have decent endurance, but I'm really, really slow.
A singular 5 minute mile. once. and it is very possible the course was very (VERY) downhill at that point. And it is possible the mile markers were not terribly precise. I was definitely feeling the frustration of my workout yesterday and grabbing on to that one mile.

I was primarily a distance runner and I know I won't be again, too much permanent hip and back damage from the 3 accidents. I might run again but it will probably be 30-40 minutes tops at a leisurely rate. For one thing, by the time I lose enough weight to even consider those kinds of miles I will be pushing 50 and I think it would be harder psychologically to get competitive when there isnt a PR possibility.

Plus my big downfall was when I did get injured I realized I never had a plan for how to maintain when I wasn't routinely burning 10,000+ calories a week with exercise. I loved the workouts, every single one. I never exercised TO be able to eat more or as punishment for eating or whatever. I was never happier than the days when I would run 9 hilly miles before breakfast, get my kids to school and then go get beaten up by my trainer in the weight room.

But when it was gone it was seriously hard to take 1300 calories a day out of my diet. (and yep, that meant I was gaining 2-3 lbs a WEEK)

What had worked to lose the 60 wasnt going to work again. I kind of dont WANT to be dependent on exercise like that, but I also see how little people eat to maintain without excessive exercising and I still cant quite wrap my brain about that being ok with me.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #82  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

Welcome Kat and ennay!!

I love the mini-goal idea. I could really use to focus, I'm just having a tough time finding my way back to the way I USED to move and eat. I'm 6 weeks for being done with school. The study/eating thing has to stop now, I dont want to keep watching the scale GO UP!

I'm up 2 lbs from when I popped on here. NOT COOL. 222 would be 5 lbs down, my goal would be by May 15th. Better get to!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #83  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I don't want to derail and I understand if people are more comfortable staying in this forum, but over in the "chicks up for a challenge" forum they have ongoing 5-lb challenges and 2% challenges. Both work with everyone signing up and then first to the goal starts the next thread and everyone restarts at where they are now. The plus is a larger group of people participating, the minus is it can be that you never complete a goal as it keeps resetting in front of you. I had joined one when I was more in the 150 lb range and I think I had lost maybe 1/2 lb when someone lost 5.

Last edited by ennay; 05-03-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #84  

Morning all! The sun is out and it looks to be a beautiful spring day after a storm last night. I am planning to go to the nursery tomorrow and get my annuals to finish off my house/yard for the growing season. This weekend I hope to get those planted.

I have been incorporating a walk each day with my LO, he's still short legged so we aren't walking fast, but we walk about 6-7/10s of a mile he gets to be outside and ask about the world and I sneak in a bit of movement. That's been good. I hope I can continue this summer with such.

Weight: 236.2 this am! YEAH, down a bit. I have decided I will change my ticker/signature once a week to reflect. But I will track on my app. My mini goal is to once and for all get out of the 230s, I do hope I can do this this month. That's my idea as of right now I hope i can finally do it. It's been a long time since the 220s and I don't want to stay there forever either.

I hope you all are doing well and enjoying the warmer weather.

Slash: How was your run? Do you run with a partner? I am looking to replace some of my icky workout wear (ok, who am I kidding my old black yoga pants and t-shirts I wear to cycle in) and want to know if you have any recommendations as in - do you do capris or full length? Do you find they are comfortable? I don't have a cute body but maybe something different in the gear will be inspirational.

Sarah: Good for you on finishing your degree. What area will you be practicing in? Do you have a job lined up? Hope your man friend is feeling better.

ennay: Can you incorporate swimming instead of running? I enjoyed that when I was working on my weight a while back. It really helped quite a bit.

Happy day to you all. Off to go plug in my breakfast and plan my day out. May the pounds drop!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #85  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

lemonthyme - no - swimming is out. That was my first sport but sometime in the last decade I started developing severe vertigo everytime I swam. I tried earplugs but they didnt help at all. Good job on getting the walking in!

I'm down to 222.2 this morning. I've gotten off to a very fast start which is quite unusual for me. I'm expecting to screech to a halt any moment now.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #86  
Diane

I weighed today. It was 233.2, so 5 pound goal would put me back in the 220's. That would be good! Hopefully, knowing this goal is out there, I'll be better over the weekend. So hard to be disciplined.

Ennay: Might have to check out that other thread. I need all the help I can get. I'm sure it is hard to go from being a competitive type of runner to not being able to push to that level again. I am very casual running (and I'm 53 years old), and I usually just run for about 45 minutes on this riverfront trail we have. I try to improve, but I'm just not fast. And that's ok. I just feel really good after I run, so I want to keep that going. Probably not going to run races!

Lemonthyme: I like to run alone. It gives me some "quiet" time. I have capri length workout pants. As it gets hotter, I've tried going to shorts, but I can't find any that I can live with, so I go back to capris. I usually end up going back to the treadmill at the gym if it is hot. I'd like to look again and see if I can find some shorts.

Sarah: 6 weeks to go! I'm sure you're anxious to be done!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #87  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

slashni - don't rule out races altogether just because you dont "compete". I am for me because I was competitive, but truthfully the events are a LOT of fun and you can meet a lot of fun people to run with. I found the events very motivating when I was just fun running before I got all competitive.

Lemonthyme, slashni I had to be very thin to enjoy running in anything but long compression shorts. "chub-rub" is no fun and i found that loose shorts would end up in a wad in the crotch and I would spend the whole run pulling them back down. Even compression shorts would roll up unless they were of the longer variety. If I go out now to walk or run I wear capris. Long pants get hot too fast.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #88  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I wish i could be as motivated about exercise as all of you here!

I've been frustrated by the scale for the past week or so - I don't know if it is because I'm having an RA flare up or what - I know it isn't TOM. Thursday I was 238 - today I am 241. WTH?

I fell off the low carb wagon last night. Okay - I will be honest I didn't fall off - I flung myself off like a gymnast coming off the pommel horse going for a perfect landing. I was just so angry last night, between work stuff, finding out the job I interviewed for was given to a 25 year old with a strippers body and the brain of a flea (I met her Saturday at an event for that company) traffic every day this week making my normal hour and a half commute into 2 - 2 1/2 hours and the the final straw of the scale going up even though I am doing the same thing.

I knew I was pissed, I even told myself that I was grabbing the peanut butter because I was pissed - but I bought it anyway knowing I would binge. I ate half the jar - only consolation is that it was natural peanut butter (no sugar added) and I drained off as much of the oil as I could before I mixed it. Small consolation.

The impatient 5 year old in me just wants to give up - its been 4 months and I've only lost 30 pounds. The rational adult in me says - hey it's 30 pounds and the time is going to go by anyway - so in a year and a half you will be at goal. Ugh - a year and a half.

Okay - so now that my co-workers talked me back onto the pommel horse I have to go find a carb free lunch. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #89  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Kat117 - I'm doing T-25 right now because I can not get motivated by exercise, but 25 minutes seems - doable. It's very hard to find an excuse to not do 25 minutes. I rejoined my gym in October after taking all summer off and went 3 times so I finally decided I needed something at home for now. My angst is greatly about how I couldnt even do the modified level. I am faking it until I make it right now.

And rrrr on the fleabrain getting the job. 30 lbs in 4 months is a lot. Hold your head high on that. Tomorrow when you stand on the scale, no matter what the number is, I want you to say "How fantastic is this compared to 270!" Find 3 things that are better about being 240 than 270. And say them every day when you are on the scale until you are completely in control and not the 5 year old
Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #90  
Diane

Ennay: Yeah, I'm with you on not wearing loose shorts for running. I am going to go look at the compression type shorts to see if they would be good for me. But I do like the capris so that they stay where they are supposed to be!!

Kat: Haha! Loved the gymnast visual!! Made me chuckle. Sorry for the job situation and the increase on the scale. That sucks! I don't really have an answer for you on why it happens or what we could do to guarantee results. I know that I struggle a lot too. It can be so frustrating, but just keep with it. Each day, you get a new start. Keep going!!

As for me, I had a little bit of a loss this morning, .4 pounds. OH BOY! But, I guess that's better than nothing. Just need to keep pushing. I'm going to go running tonight after work. It looks really windy, but maybe by then it will die down. Hope so!
Closed Thread