A question about water

• I notice that most of you drink alot of water. Is this just because water is good for you or does it specifically aid your weight loss?

Ta

Amanda x
  • Some people believe both. A lot of weight-loss programs, Weight Watchers and Atkins included, advocate drinking a lot of water. This supposedly helps in a number of ways:
    • Helps you feel fuller longer
    • Helps your body flush out toxins and waste products produced by the weight loss process
    • Makes sure you are hydrated, which helps with hunger and general health

The question comes up, though, how much is enough? Some people suggest formulae that say that someone my size, at about 300 pounds, should drink upwards of a gallon of water a day. I'm sorry, but that just ain't gonna happen. /grin

I do find, though, that drinking water regularly -- about two liters of water a day, plus other sources (tea, milk, fruit and vegetables) -- helps me feel better overall and helps me control hunger better.
  • Also, if you're not drinking enough water your body will retain fluid which leads to bloating and temporary weight gain (the kind that's hard to get rid of unless you drink tons of water to compensate or take a water pill). If your diet doesn't include much fiber lots of water helps keep you regular too. I found it difficult to drink the recommended 8 glasses of day during the winter, but in the summer I've always got a bottle at hand and I don't find it too much of a hardship. The biggest problem for me is the constant trips to the bathroom (especially at work where the air-conditioning compounds the problem). I'm sure people think I have some sort of kidney disorder...
  • Thanks Synger, I thought that was the case. I'm definately going to try to drink more water this week- I find it really keeps my skin clear - must be all those toxins being flushed out!

Cheers,

Amanda xx
  • there's a woman in my office who lost about 25 pounds, and the ONLY change she made was drinking at least 64 oz of water.

and when she stopped, the weight came back. pretty amazing, isn't it??
  • i have really slacked off on drinking my water (not drinking any at all here lately ) and my weight loss has really slowed down. but when i was losing pretty regularly i was only drinking about 2 or 3 cups of water a day. when i started weight watchers they said 6 cups a day and only 3 of those HAVE TO BE water. the other 3 can be any caffeine free beverage.
  • I try to drink at leat 2 litres of water a day when i feel hungry i drink water to fill up...doesent last as long as a yumy doughnut or something...but its helps
  • I drink 128 oz a day and though I've never tried losing without doing that I don't think it would come off as easy if I didn't drink the water. I would drink a lot of water when I was not dieting though so it's not hard for me when I diet. I love water.
  • I managed to lose weight and keep it off without too much concern about water, relying mostly on decaf soft drinks and decaf coffee for most of my needs.
  • Even decaf diet sodas may make you retain water. Basically in terms of just general health nothing is as good as water and it is free, free, free. If you can learn to love water or at least like it, that would be a great thing. I was the only one walking in a state park by where I live yesterday. It is a beautiful park and it was over 100, well at least not in the shade, and I was perfectly fine. I like to think of my body and my cells as being very, very happy being bathed throughout the day with wonderful water. My body is happy, it doesn't have to work nearly as hard to keep running and therefore it is much easier to lose weight. I am not sure if I always liked drinking water, but I think it comes easier for a lot of people if they keep doing it. I am not even going to say most people because I know for some it never becomes easier. But I would try and add more and more water gradually or what not rather than no trying to do that. Remember, happy, happy cells, happy, happy body when you are drinking your water.
  • Yeah, but my tongue isn't happy drinking water, and if the tongue isn't happy, NOBODY'S happy!