Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Default Losing for Universal Orlando Trip

One of my mini goals is to lose enough to fit on the Harry Potter rides at Universal Studios. We went there over a year ago and I couldn't ride anything. We are going back Mid-September and I am so excited. I can't remember exactly what I weighed last time we went so at this point I'm just trying to lose what I can in hopes of being able to ride some rides. My goal right now is to be under 270 lbs.

I can't even begin to describe the guilt and shame I felt when I sat in the seats outside the ride to see if I would fit and I didn't. It's one thing to feel fat at home but another when complete strangers are walking by watching you try to fit in a seat. And having to apologize to your husband and sister that you can't go with them. One of the worst feelings I've ever had.
tongirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

We're going to Universal this October for Halloween Horror Nights! Last time we went my husband couldn't ride hardly anything and was really upset, coupled with the way the ride operators treated him, he vowed to never go back until he lost weight. He was REALLY wanting to ride the Rip Ride Rocket and the snotty teenager completely humiliated him in front of his friend and everyone in line.

We got on the Mummy and the bar had a hard time closing.... but we managed to ride it. I was 250 at the time and he was 365? All of his weight is in his lower body though, which is why the bar rides are worse for him.

I'm hoping now that he's lost 51 lbs he'll be good to go, plus he still has 2 months to drop more. At the rate he's losing, he'll probably drop another 30 at least.

As a Floridian, I go to both Disney and Universal a lot. I can say Disney treats their overweight/obese riders way better than Universal. Universal's attendants can get down right nasty, as in the case with my husband. And the ride seats are smaller at Universal. We were just at Disney in March and he didn't have an issue with a single ride and he was 365 lbs then. Some were uncomfortable, but that was about it.

Of course, I like Universal better, even with the bad attitude. The rides are just better imo and while the mouse has my heart, he needs to update his park (which they are doing). DH has still not gotten over his experience and I'm fairly surprised he wants to go back at all.

I know how it feels to be shamed in front of people for your weight. It'll be okay. I was able to ride everything at my highest of 265 with a pretty round shape Some rides were snug, but I fit and the security measures locked and I was able to enjoy it. That's the key thing too. The lap bar, shoulder things, and general safety measures have to buckle for them to allow you to ride. Disney has extenders for most of it's seatbelt types, not sure about Universal though.

I was like a cat. If I fits I sits!
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #3  

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I was just barely too big. My body type is big in the middle so it always affects the over the shoulder harnesses. I'm usually good if it's just Lao bars because I can move my fat above it. We went to Disney last year and I had no problems. They definitely are better at that than universal.
tongirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #4  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

I have lost a lot of weight but i remember going there in 2012 and even though I fitted on everything I was obese and weighed about 229. The hubby who was about 290 pounds at the time was too big for one of the rides but it wasn't harry potter it was another one.

But we also went to disney and had no problems with any of the rides there.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote