Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #211  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubee View Post
Laura, your weekend sounds so nice. I always feel so sad when I hear others depriving themselves when they have a special meal. Glad to see that you are finding a healthy balance.
I meant to speak to this when I read it the other day. Thanks, Ubee for noting that. I agree, I hate when people are hard on themselves. It has taken me MANY years to find that balance and stop demonizing food.

I know that she is a polarizing figure, but I give a lot of credit for my current perspective on dieting to Bethenny Frankel. She wrote a book many years back called "Naturally Thin" and she tackled the negative self talk that so many of us do. She outlined a paradigm shifting approach to food and dieting.

Interestingly, her first "rule" pre-dated applications like MyFitnessPal where you can balance your intake and output in calories with the notion of: "Your Diet is a Bank Account". She outlines 10 rules and I find myself mentally turning to them often.

For those interested, here are the rules:

1. Your diet is like a bank account. Think about finding the balance in terms of what you eat. When you overindulge at one meal, compensate at another by making lighter, healthier choices. If you eat a lot of carbs at one meal, choose protein at your next. Balance your “good investments” and “splurges” just like you have to do with your finances so you don’t end up in debt or overdrawn at the end of the month. Think about what you are eating and and consciously decide whether it’s worth it.

This is so much healthier and more effective than the all-or-nothing thinking that leads to saying, “I blew it at lunch so I may as well double down and have a large pizza and pitcher of beer for dinner.”

2. You can have it all, just not all at once.
When it comes to splurges, decide what you want the most. You don’t need to have it all at every meal. Do you want the wine, or the bread, or the pasta or the dessert? What you don’t have today, you can have another day.

With this approach nothing is off limits so there is never a need to feel deprived. It’s in alignment with what I’m constantly reminding myself: “Martha, this isn’t your last meal. You will eat again. You can have the pizza today (along with a nice big salad for balance) and the gelato this weekend.” Telling myself that I can have whatever I want has taken away so much of the anxiety I used to have around food.

3. Taste everything, eat nothing. When faced with a lot of indulgent choices, just have a bite or two or three of what you really really want. The sum total will equal a meal, but you won’t have gone overboard.

This is a great rule, provided you have the discipline to stick with just a couple of bites, so it’s important to know yourself (see Rule 8). This is my new approach to eating dessert. I’ve learned to tell myself that the first bite is always the best and the rest will never be as good, so I can stop with just a bite or two (most of the time).

4. Pay attention. Notice what you are eating. When you eat, eat. Don’t eat while doing something else, because you won’t get the satisfaction out of your food and you’ll end up eating more than you realize.

I’m a big believer in the power of slowing down and savoring your food. I know it can be tricky to implement in our multi-tasking, break-neck paced world, but it’s worth practicing. One thing I’ve done is make it a rule to avoid eating unless I’m sitting down. Try it. You’ll be amazed at how much less food you need to feel satisfied when you are actually paying attention.

5. Downsize now. Eat less. Portions are out of control in this country. We have no idea what a normal serving looks like any more, especially when it comes to restaurant food. Plates are often generous enough to serve a family. I was shocked and amazed when I first learned that the typical bagel is equal to four slices of bread!

Using smaller dishes can make this a lot easier to implement, since normal-size portions on supersize plates can look pretty skimpy. I feel like investing in small plates, bowls and ramekins was one of the smartest things I’ve done for myself and my weight maintenance.

6. Cancel your membership in the clean plate club. Nobody is going to slap your hand with a ruler if you don’t finish it all. Let it go. Pay attention to how you feel. When you have had enough, stop.

This can be a real struggle, especially if you’ve been raised to believe that wasting food is wrong because, “There are starving children in the world.” But, the truth is that “cleaning your plate” is an illogical solution, since it does nothing to eradicate starvation and only hurts you. Remember, “It’s better to waste than to waist.”

There are lots of strategies, besides cleaning your plate, you can use to limit waste. These include sharing a meal and packing up leftovers to bring home for another meal, two of my personal favorites.

7. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Don’t binge. Never, ever again.

Again, this is easier said than done if you are a binge eater, which Bethenny acknowledges, and she suggests that if you have an eating disorder, it would be wise to seek professional help. AMEN.

One thing that can really help, is giving up “dieting” forever since deprivation always leads to binging eventually. And if you are an emotional eater or if years have dieting have left you with a fear of certain foods, it’s important to remember that food is not the enemy and it is not your best friend. It is just food.

Since I stopped “dieting” I rarely get out of control with food the way I used to. It’s been ages since I devoured a box of Cheez-Its or pint of Ben and Jerry’s. Do I ever overeat? Of course. I’m human. But I don’t beat myself up about it the way I used to. I just let it go and work to make better choices at my next meal.

The key is to be kind and patient with yourself. When you slip up, learn to forgive yourself and move on.

8. Know thyself. Forget about what all the “experts” say and pay attention to you. Become your own expert. Learn. Study your likes, dislikes, tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, and preferences. What are the triggers that cause you to overeat? Are there certain foods that cause you to lose all control? What are your biggest food challenges?

The more you know about yourself the more successful you will be so learn to trust yourself.

9. Get real. Eat more real food and less process stuff. It’s healthier and more satisfying. Focus on eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. Think local, seasonal and organic when you can. But be realistic. Sometimes processed food will be the best or only option and that’s fine.

I’m always working to find the balance between healthy fuel food and fun treats. I believe it’s what you do most of the time that matters, so I shoot for eating well 80% percent of the time, which seems to work for me. That way when I really want ice cream or chips or a cookie or pizza, I can enjoy it without guilt.

10. Good for you.
Take care of yourself. Invest in yourself. Do what’s right for you, what’s healthy for you, what’s good for you. Exercise. Drink lots of water. Take a vitamin. Get enough sleep. Build a firm foundation of good health and self care and you can do anything.

This can be a challenge if you believe that self-care = selfish. I believe that many of us who struggle with our weight are in the habit of putting ourselves last. But the truth is that if you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t take care of anything or anyone else, so make yourself a priority.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The commentary to the rules is not mine, rather those of the author of this article: https://simple-nourished-living.com/...aturally-thin/

Last edited by LauraRVA42011; 07-26-2017 at 08:45 AM.
LauraRVA42011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Thank You Laura! That is one of the best things I've ever read. Straight and to the point.
I will be sharing that with my friends in the 300+ Club. How exciting to be so close to your half way point.

My scale is all the way back up to 245.6 today. Yesterday was a little out of control. Also I did eat the worlds most salty soup. I always have it because it is so good and the water comes off in a few days.

lemonthyme I am going to try to fly under the radar and be in the 230's come Tuesday August 1st.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #213  
NOOM user

Ubee happy to share. I'm actually re-reading the book for the third time. It helps me to share and I get so frustrated when people are hard on themselves. Maybe it works for them, but I've never been one to berate myself for making bad choices. I learn from them and move on.

Here's hoping we're ready to jump to the next decade thread by August 1st!!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

You gals rock! Keep up with your journeys. Yes photograph them - it can be a motivator to see where you started where you are at and where you can be. I look at photos of the thinner me and say I thought i was heavy then. Alas, our perspectives can skew in life as we motor through it.

I think my DH thinks I'm nutty when I want all 4 sides taken photos of. The problem is finding a space where you don't blend into the background. So this time round I aim to wear my way out their leggings. Is it flattering - heck no, but it shows where the lumps and bumps may go away.

Do any of you find yourself arguing with the patience needed game? I do this all the time. In general it's not like the weight came on instantly so it shouldn't fall off instantly either.

I made a dinner w/lean ground beef, tomatoes, zucchini and some mozzarella last night. It was good and filling and my LO ate all the zucchinis on the plate. Who would have thought? My DH did grumbling as he's not a veg fan - but because I used Italian seasoning and the like he did it a little less so.

This weekend I will have a bit of a challenge as their is a family bday party to attend and pizza is on the menu. Its just w/my DHs family - so I might haul my salad with me as well and keep it to one piece.

Ok - off to tackle the day en-force. I had to check how the peeps here were doing. Maybe soon I will join you all in the 230s? I got stuck there the last time and then stopped at the holidays. But my mindset is in a better place and I have an end goal of looking better for the trip. I aim to do better this time.

Happy day!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #215  

Laura I was just wondering if I should buy the book. Guess you reading it 3 times means YES!

lemonthyme I think we all get impatient. I also wish I could choose where each pound comes off. I just am becoming a smaller version of the same lumps and bumps. Thank God for shape wear.

For now my biggest hurdle is exercise. I know it is needed for my health. I know it will help shape my body. Getting me to exercise is like moving a mountain. I do make my life harder so I have to stay more active. I am the only one allowed to haul the firewood. It is my job to go downstairs in winter and fill the wood stove. I water all the plants with a bucket from the water barrels. As I lose more I do find myself jumping up to do more things. If any of you have found anything that motivates you to exercise PLEASE share it with me.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #216  
NOOM user

Ubee I am glad I bought it because just seeing the rules spoke to me. She devotes a chapter to each rule and gives anecdotal examples of actually practicing the rules.

I think, that as you shrink (rhyming - lol), you will feel more compelled to be active. You said yourself that you find yourself doing more naturally. I know with the advent of fitness tracking devices and applications, there is a built in 'reward' feedback that I respond to. For example, my fitbit vibrates every hour that I haven't gotten 250+ steps within that hour. It is set for 'work days' during 9-6 and like a mouse with a lever, I'm compelled to respond and get moving just to clear the reminder.

I have also set activity goals for myself that keep me on the straight & narrow in terms of exercise. I have committed myself to the following: 1) a 5k on 9/11 participating in a 9/11 Heroes Run, 2) kayaking in honor of my late brother's birthday in October, and 3) I signed up for a virtual race where my distance travelled daily counts towards completing a cross-America 'marathon' of 13 States and 3521 miles - it will take me over a year, so I have some built in motivation for the near future. The one thing I learned from my running past, is that these end goals give you a reason to train. Instead of looking at my activity as a 'daily grind', I see it as a training program to a goal. It is my hope that by the time I complete my weight loss journey, my training will be well-established and will help me in the next phase of my maintenance journey. Ever evolving.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #217  
NOOM user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonthyme View Post
I look at photos of the thinner me and say I thought i was heavy then. Alas, our perspectives can skew in life as we motor through it.
PREACH!! I have a photo of myself at age 13 where I was a size 12 after my first foray into VLC dieting and I looked perfect! However, at the time, I was hanging out with a girl who was probably a size small, wore a bikini, and of course I compared myself to her. Years later, I look and think, 'how could you think you were fat?!' I wasted so many years self-loathing....
Old 07-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #218  

Bounced up this morning a bit. Well that stands to reason I didn't do well with my calories between dinner and bedtime. Sweet tooth. Ugh. I wish there was something we could just turn off easily for that want. Here I was so proud the night before last that I avoided and last night gave in. I know it's a moment and I'm aiming to make them smaller and less. However . . .

Body image is a crazy one for me. However looking at the photos from my last trek to FL I will be lighter. I already am at this point. So if I can keep up loss even if I'm no where close to my end goal but out of these 240-250s for good - that I seem to blossom to in the winter the last few years, it will a help. I think we can all become a critic looking at ourselves with a fine toothed comb. So I think I will begin to be glad I can move my body in lots of ways and just continue to work on the package it's in. And I hear you all when you say you'd love to "spot" loose. Oh would that be an amazing discovery. I know exactly what 3 areas I'd begin with!

My best to you all. I hope the rest of you had successful scale drops. Mines back to 244.4. I'll load up on my veg as best I can today. We have a nephew over to celebrate his bday and though the rest will have the same main course, I plan to stick to my salad today with my chicken breast for my protein. Ok I'm off to go move and find some breakfast and get the day underway. Celebrate you can move your body even if right now it's limited.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #219  
ready to succeed

S/C/G: 251/257/160

Height: 5'6"

So. I've been avoiding posting because I found myself sliding back and bingeing. My doctor put me on phentermine and I realized that it's probably what's been causing my terrible depression and sleeplessness. I stopped taking it today, and already feel the fog lifting. I've always let a few days of eating poorly just tear down all the work I've done. I'm trying to push through and not let that happen again. I didn't have breakfast this morning and didn't have time to pack a lunch, so I'm probably going to run to a market and get some homemade soup (they are great there!).

I have also avoided the scale, so tomorrow I'll see what damage I've done.

Lemonthyme My DH is trying to lose, he is great at sticking to being active, but at dinner let's it all fall apart with eating. (Aside from this week) I'm pretty decent at portion control, but when it is right in front of me it's a real struggle. With your DH, I think we have all been in the 'talker' stage, but at least that's a step! I LOVE body measurements, it's a great NSV, even just 1/2 inch down makes me feel accomplished.

LauraRVA42011 That excerpt was so inspiring! I really needed to read that today. Think I'll pick up the book (you should get commissions!)
FatDoesntDefineMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #220  
NOOM user

One of the strongest things that stuck with me from reading the book, and really does drive my choice to stay with a food is something she wrote within the "Your Diet is a Bank Account" chapter called The Point of Diminishing Returns:

"The point of diminishing returns is what I call that point when you a bite you take isn't quite as good as the bite before it. For example, let's say you really love fried calamari. You have a bite, and it is out of this world. You are tasting and enjoying your splurge. The next bite might be just as good. The third bite, though? Maybe the enjoyment level has peaked, and while the calamari still tastes good, that third bite isn't quite as amazing as the first two. Instead of just plowing through the rest of the plate, stop at the point of diminishing returns.

Why keep eating it and adding more calories to your bank account? It's never going to get any better. Anything after that is just a waste of calories. You laughed; you cried; it was better than Cats. Now it's over, so stop eating and move on with your life."

I had read from a separate source many years ago that one of the reasons we binge is to try and recapture that initial pleasure that the first bite brought. Knowing that you will never succeed in achieving that is setting you free from continuing to overeat that thing. I also remember thinking about how the first taste of a Coke was never duplicated by subsequent sips; the initial flavor gets drowned out and all you get is the bubbly soda sensation. Because of that realization, I am actually able to only drink a couple sips of a regular Coke instead of a whole 12 oz can. Now, knowing that I won't actually drink the whole thing pretty much prevents me from drinking it at all because I hate to be wasteful - LOL.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #221  

Thanks for posting and keeping this thread active.
I came on here to fight my sweet tooth today. This thread is helping.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #222  
~Kim~

Hi All! I went MIA for a few weeks. Unfortunately I got side tracked. The week before my trip I had some raging TOM issues and went off plan. Then I was on my trip and was off plan. Then I got back from my trip and was still on vacation for the rest of the week and was off plan.

Started back up Monday and the scale was not kind. It's mostly water and I'm already back down 4.2 this week so right in the middle of the 240's again. Now that vacation time is over and summer is ending soon I hope to get recommit and start making some real progress. I'm going to try to get back into my exercise routine starting Sunday so hopefully that will help.

Hope everyone is doing great and we all graduate to the next thread down soon!
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #223  

It sounds like everyone is fighting some of those crazy cravings and the busyness of life that sends us all scattering be it for food, sleep or quiet! I am doing ok today - much better than yesterday, however afternoon hasn't gotten into full swing. We have the nephew over tonight as his family is traveling and I don't want him to sit at home on his bday. I got dessert made and at this point have no interest in it. HEY that in itself is an accomplishment. Right after finishing this up, I need to go finish picking up the house. My LO is sleeping, the others helping me to clean and pickup.

I do hope that today I will be good enough to shed a pound or a 1/2 lb again. I aim to be good. I have found that having water before bed seems to help my scale out. Granted my bladder isn't too excited mid wee hours of the morning, however I don't know if there is any hope to keep the scale moving, but I will slug the water in the evening. Maybe it's just that I am not eating other things.

TooMany: Well - you had an enjoyable time on vacay and you probably were a bit thinner than when you were planning and that in itself is a nice accomplishment. Getting back into the non-vacay mood is always something, but I am sure you will get going once again on the loss.

Ubee: Sweet tooth - I.HEAR.YOU! Loud and clear, and when that bugger hits, its a nasty one - if you are unsuspecting. I hope your's doesn't do too much damage for you.

Laura: I get what you say about soda, of late I tended to pour out 1/2 a can. I guess I just was needing the quick sweet and then tired of it. I haven't had any now for 2 weeks. I wasn't a big consumer at that, but I think that's part of my bloaty looking belly reducing.

FatDoesnt:
Your DH and my DH sound like they'd be buds on the evening meal. The "I have been so good all day long, an extra bite or serving won't hurt". ARGH! I am trying to convince him to go walking again. He recently stopped a medicine and its one that gives weight gain when on (dumb medicines). It's humid and buggy here so we haven't been outside in the evenings. I have one child that when bit welts something awful so we become hermits in this weather. Hopefully you will hop back in, I find some days are better than others for me, but writing here is a help. One statement from someone, or a hurrah for another or even a tad of the competitive spirit may spur you along as someone else is loosing. Just post we all go up and down!

Good luck for the rest of the day. Still working with finding what curbs the afternoon needs and get on with it. I hope I find something that works wonders and moves me out of the need to eat by 430 window.

Last edited by lemonthyme; 07-27-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #224  

Party went well as small as it was. I did treat myself to a cookie, however I ate within my limit yesterday and figured it on in. Will see how it goes.

It looks like I heard back from my PT and I hope she says a return to movement is a good thing. I had to reschedule the last appt and it will be a while before I get back in. It's funny the things that you take for granted with your body mechanics and when they aren't working and need rest and retraining.

Glad the weekend will be here - I will take the kids swimming tonight and meet my DH at the pool. Then this weekend takes off with a couple of planned excursions including a trip to the local theater for a play. That should be fun and a change of pace. It's the groups end of season performance and it's usually a big to-do.

I hope to stay strong - avoiding a soda, avoiding stuffing myself while not thinking. I will keep the app going and close by to avoid these known pitfalls.

Happy weekend all!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #225  

Checking on this thread saved the day yesterday. Thanks everyone.
Scale is heading back down to 242.8 this morning. I have a tempting weekend ahead. (As always.)
I have a large 239 that I look at often to remind myself to stay on track. Also I try to remember to close my eyes and visualize it when I am tempted by emotions to do senseless eating.

lemonthyme had you tried warm tea? Tea and coffee are two things allowed during a fast for me. The Beck dieters say that anytime we refuse a temptation we are increasing our resistance muscle. It is so true the more I say no the easier it gets. It does not work 100% but 75% is better then 0. Your weekend sounds lovely. Enjoy.

Laura what are your plans for the weekend?

Kim
glad to see you again. Keep posting it will help you get back on track. Vacations are a part of life so we need to make getting back on plan following vacation another part of our lives.

Fatdoesn'tdefineme, I find it interesting how we all stay away during difficult periods. We are here to support each other. I know we all do it but that that is when we should be here the most.

I will be popping in and out all weekend. I think lemonthyme will be too. So pop on in and we will support each other and get into the 230's.