the Chick's Lit Corner

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

It seem like a lot of us here like to read. I thought a book thread might be fun! Anyone mind?

My last read was "The Marrying Game" by Kate Saunders. The story is of four British sisters who live in the English countryside. It's Christmas Eve, (in the 1990's) their father has died earlier that year, leaving a mountain of debt. and they are trying to save their crumbling family home. The two older sisters decide they will try marry money to save their home. They move to London to stay with an old family friend to try and break into London "society." They don't expect to actually fall in love, though.

It sounds like fluff reading, but was much deeper in parts. I really enjoyed it.

Enjoy,
    Sherry
  • I'm currently reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. I bought it for my dad a few years ago as an audio tape (he's mostly blind now), and he loved it. So when I saw it in EPA's Employee Book Exchange I figured I'd read it.

It tells the autobiographical story of the author and his friend, both out of shape (his friend is almost 300 pounds, and plans to eat Snickers and Hostess Cupcakes on the trail), attempting to hike the whole Apalacian Trail in one season (starting in March). The Appalachian Trail is a continuous marked footpath that goes from Katahdin in Maine to Springer Mountain in Georgia, a distance of about 2160 miles. It usually takes a good six months to hike the whole thing, and most people who attempt the feat give up before completing it.

Between hilarious encounters he inserts historic information about the AT and some of the dangers that have impacted it and continue to impact it today.

It's a light read. I'm reading it on Metro, and have to pace myself. I could probably devour it in a day if I set my mind to it.

Personal Interest:

Every once in a while, Hunter and I head up to Harper's Ferry West Virginia (an hour or so away from the DC area) and hop on the AT. It's easy walking there, since it's along the Potomac canal roads. But I can say I've "hiked" part of the AT. (Yeah, all of three hours. /chuckle) So this book is quite interesting to me.

Other Reviews:

http://www.bookbrowse.com/forums/mes...&threadid=1377

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews

Info on the AT:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/
  • I like Jackie Collins in general, will post more later.
  • Right now I'm ready Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. This one is more action orientented than some of his others that get bogged down in political and historical stuff.
  • I'm a mystery buff and I just got a new Tony Hillerman and a new Janet Evanovich (mystery "light"). I love the more profound British mysteries, but the authors I like just aren't writing fast enough to keep up with me!
  • Sheila,

I like British mystery writers too. Have you read Margaret Yorke and Dorothy Simpson? They are my favorites! I also like Michelle Spring, and some Val McDermid, but they've gotten too gory for me. For lighter British mysteries, I like Nancy Atherton. There are others, but the names are escaping me now.

Take care,
    Sherry
  • I've just discovered Dean Koontz and am reading his latest novel. I love his books they really make me think
  • OH, I envy you for just having found Dean Koontz. You have so many great books to look forward to of his. I love when I discover a new author. It's like finding a hidden treasure!
  • I have been reading tons of nora roberts lately!!!! I am a huge reader, and it seems my 9 year old is falling right in my foot <notes> she read 60 books in the month of july!!!!
  • I love Dorothy Simpson, Sherry. She's one of the ones who just doesn't write fast enough! You've given me a couple new names to look at, too. I can't remember the name of the person who writes the other series I like so much. I keep wondering if she died because she hasn't put one out in a while. Simon Brett's Mrs. Pargeter series is a hoot, but Brett doesn't write as many of those as he does the books about the out-of-work actor.

I like Elizabeth George who isn't British, but her characters are. Her mysteries are always rather dark, if you know what I mean, but she's usually got such good character development.

The husband and wife Kellermans both write great series, I think. And my DH and I love the Alex Delaware series set in Boulder, CO, written by Stephen White. And then there's the native Alaskan woman who gets into all sorts of escapades. Have you read those? The person who writes those also writes about a guy, but I don't like those as much. Also like the series about the national park ranger written by Nevada Barr. It's fun to read about the different national parks.

For non-mysteries, I like some Margaret Atwood books, and a couple of the Maeve Binchy books. I started to read one of her latest (something about a caterer) and got bored.
  • I have about 10 pages left in the (ahem 860 page!) Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. --That's the new one.-- You know what? People laugh, but I'd say don't laugh until you've read all five. They REALLY have a good message, good plots. Sure, not exactly a mind-boggler, but cool none the less. Sorry, felt the need to defend, lol.
    I've read one Koontz book,(Phantoms) thought it was pretty well written, and I've started another... Ice Bound, I think. -Apryl
  • Sheila,

I wish Dorothy Simpson would write faster too! Do you have her books pre-Luke Thanet series? I think there were two or three. We went to London for our honeymoon, and there's a street that is all bookstores. In a speciality mystery bookshop, I found a few of her earlier ones ...puppet for a corpse, I think it was called.

If you haven't tried Margaret Yorke, you'll have plenty to read. She's written at least thirty books! They're village mystery/psychological suspense.

As for Maeve Binchy, you picked one of her worst books! If you want to try her again, go to the library for "Light a Penny Candle" , 'Firefly summer' "the glass lake" or "circle of friends"
    They were all wonderful.

If you remember the other British writer, please let me know.

take care,
    sherry
  • Apryl
    We are going to read book 5, starting next week, we can't wait!!!! Don't give out any details, lol. I can't believe no one has mentioned who died yet, but we are going to read it before school starts so that we don't hear anything much before we read it!!!! We love the Harry Potter Books too!!! In fact we are listening to book 4, with a audio book right now, to refresh our memory before we start reading book 5. Have a great day!!!!
  • The comment about finding a new author is one I use all the time. If anyone has not read James Herriot's books you are one of the luckiest human beings on the planet because you get to read these wonderful books for the first time. If by some chance you have never heard of these books just ask friends and family. I have literally never, not once, ever met anyone who has read them and did not love them. So they can fill you in. And they are great at any age.
  • I love the Harry Potter books too. I got sucked into the hype when book 5 came out and had to run out and buy it right away instead of getting it from the library and then buying it in paperback like I did with book 4. I really didn't get into them until book 4, there was such a hype about that one so I read the others. My fav is still book 3.

Anyway some people here may remember a guy named Fred who posted once in awhile some time ago. He has lost quite a bit of weight and kept it off for about 2 years or so. He has written a book based on his web site journal. I've been a follower of his and his wife's on-line journals for awhile and believe me I think it is worth the money to buy this book. Check out his book site at www.chunktohunk.com You can't order the book from this site, if I get a link for that I will post it. I think it is also going to available through amazon.