Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #271  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

toastedsmoke -- Ugh, I agree! When I thought it was time to start taking care of what I ate I thought "eh, I did this last year, I know how to do it. Piece of [low carb, sugar free] cake." But I was SO wrong! My mind wasn't in he right frame so mistakes were bound to happen. I made several realizations along the way but the most important was that I needed to be 100% committed and not have any splurge days for a while to kick myself into gear. I think I'm finally doing it. There's pizza in the house and I haven't as much as eaten a few pieces of Alfredo chicken off of its top. Today I was bored and thought I was hungry but I talked myself out of it. We shall see how I manage when the night comes. That's when all the cravings kick in.

Hi, Lotusmama! It's nice to meet you!

Kailpea -- Conditioning! Yes, that's the word, Kailpea!

Last year I did calorie counting with LoseIt! and I loved it. I still do, although my diet is SO restricted right now that it's pointless because I know all I eat is about 1000 kcals mostly of protein. Eventually I will get to the point where I can take it a bit easy and incorporate fruit, whole grain bread, etc., and I'll need to count. I think it's a great method to keep tabs on what I eat. But it can drive you bonkers if you're busy and aren't used to it.

Hi FeraFilia! I know that feeling of anxiety and craving something specific, and I hate it! But I hope that keeping track with your FitBit works for you. I love mine.

Slashnl
--I hope so too. Slow and steady wins the race! Last year when I started my first diet ever (really, I always started and when hunger and cravings set in on day between days two and seven, I quit), I learned to remind myself to look at the process day by day. One of the things that defeated me in the past was looking at the end goal and thinking "ugh, I have so much to lose, and I want it to happen right now!" and when it didn't, I caved, hated myself for it, and let myself go again.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone:

I had a long day today. Glad it is behind me.

Paulitens: Way to go! You are starting it off right! I so agree with what you said about feeling like you have such a long way to go and then caving. I was feeling that exact way tonight (but I didn't cave). You are right--weight loss has to be day by day. Sometimes it seems so overwhelming. Getting past the mental sabotage is as much a part of this whole journey as eating and exercise, I think.

Kelly: Sorry that the scale didn't cooperate with you today. There is no way that you gained it in one day. It will turn back the other way soon. Have a lovely holiday weekend!

Toasted: I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother's friend. If anything, times like these remind me just how precious life is and how important it is not to take anything for granted.

Diane: Are you getting excited for your 5K this weekend? I can't wait to hear about it.

Well that's it for me; I need to sleep!

Last edited by LotusMama; 04-25-2015 at 12:57 AM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #273  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hey guys! Okay so my mom is doing okay with the shock now that the reality is setting in and therefore today is better than yesterday. I went running today as i said I would and I think things also look shinier and better and more possible when we keep promises to ourselves so that's good as well. My digestion is going well and my calories are staying within range and whilst I haven't lost any extra weight from last week, I've held steady at 172 lbs and I'm wearing a pair of H&M bell-bottom jeans that I haven't worn in like 2 years because my thighs wouldn't fit them anymore so don't quite cry for me, Argentina; April has been good to me, weight wise, by my slow-losing standards.

Lotus: I love your posts too!!! And yay the scale!!! Go go go!!! It's awesome when the on plan and scale stars align!!! Well done you! I ended up not making the mug cake because I didn't get home till after 11pm that day in the end AND probably unwisely, I'm baking an actual cake tomorrow but it will happen at some point, I know and I'll report here first if I'm a budding protein mug cake maven. Thanks for your kind words also. AND I hope you get to have a chill weekend.

Alright everyone, so I don't have definitive workout

Mandy: I think you're doing awesome with the minimal weight gain! You're practically Hollywood vixen pregnant with only gaining so little weight at this point! AND just think of all the miles you'll log working on your fitness the next few months, by the time your little one is here, you'll be game ready to zip around with your little one and chase after them when they're older! It's going to be awesome! I'm so glad you checked in. I've been wondering how you're doing!

Diane: I'm glad running is going well leading up to the race! That bodes well! It's going to be good, I'm sure. And as for still getting in your other workouts, AMAZING! I can't believe the wellness challenge is over at your work, it feels like you just mentioned it not that long ago. How do you think you did? I know you wanted to read more etc, were you able to do that? What parts of your challenge will you keep up with do you think?

Paulitens: Yay resisting the food temptation and talking yourself out of not great food decisions AND for the scale cooperating ESPECIALLY with TOM looming! #wooooot that! That's awesome! Well into onederland now for sure!

Kelly: I heard an earth quake hit NZ and I'm hoping you and your family are alright. I'm sorry the scale was being foolish! I had a similar thing happen midweek but I knew I wasn't getting enough water in and so I did better in that regard and the scale back down- maybe it's water. Your whoosh will come. Keep plugging away. The 230s are a real meanie to everyone! (My body LOVED 235, you'd think it wanted to marry that number on the scale!) You'll make it through!

So I don't yet have definitive workout plans for the weekend. I'm thinking I want to go running again in moral support (from a distance) of Diane and then maybe do the HIIT workout that laid me down again. Other than that, my plans all involve food. Which isn't ideal. But I'm hoping that by planning ahead, I'll make it work. I wish you all a happy and blessed weekend!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #274  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

Well I blew the calorie counting with an impromptu lunch with my husband. Not sure how bad it was but I'm guessing pretty bad considering roast beef panini (I only ordered half so that was okay) and the fries. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought. My husband and I love trying new places (Urbanspoon is our favorite app) and we went to try a little whole in the wall sandwich joint. It was okay, but not enough to blow my diet over. I should have gone with a salad but I'm always feel like I'm not really getting to enjoy the restaurant if I'm ordering a salad that I could make at home in two seconds flat. So I did an estimate in my fitness pal of what I might have consumed and I have 91 calories left for the day. I guess I should hit the gym after work! Afterward I'll come home and do most of my cooking for the week and I'll make my taste testing my dinner.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #275  
★ Kelly ★

S/C/G: flawsome

Height: 5' 5

Hi everyone! Well good fast day yesterday, fully kept to below 500 calories but have promised I won't get on the scales - to demoralising. Also did my big walk again, and I don't know if we have esp but I bumped into mum again weird. This time she was prattling on about my sister inlaw, her other favorite subject. Got my hair all chopped off yesterday (looks awsome! No hiding behind a ponytail anymore) and a quick spot of shopping had me bag some bargains - a couple are a little tight but are going to look super cool when they fit. So great day. Although I've done something to my foot, its the same thing I did last time I pushed it alittle too far, hopefully will just take a couple of days to sort itself.

Diane good luck with the race! You should be so proud of yourself.

Toasted so sorry about your mums friend, I know if that happened to me I would be lost without my girls xx Yes there was a earthquake - nothing new around here I'm afraid (they don't call us the shakey isles for nothing) it was too far away to affect us, and was in a low populated area so everyone is fine. And well the 230s have been fun I feel like the scales are just laughing at me - come on whoosh where are you jokes over

Boys are up early so we are watching cartoons in or pjs husbands still asleep. Time for a coffee me thinks. Have a great weekend ladies
MissLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #276  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Went to spin this morning, but I had to leave a little early since I had to go to a class. It was a little unfulfilling to have to leave early. It feels like cheating even though I only missed about 10 minutes of class. Oh well.

Then, just have the race tomorrow. It might be raining, so it could be a little challenging. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Gotta run now, though.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #277  
On my way to -70

LotusMama -- Yes... the mental sabotage is everything! This is such a psychological process. And I don't know you guys but last year when I did this, I learned so much about myself! I was actually kind of amazed.

toastedsmoke -- I'm feeling kind of "meh." Next week is my last week of class and then I have to write a final paper. As usual around finals I don't feel like doing what I'm supposed to, and I feel a lot like eating. Today I was feeling that way and I ate a serving of crunchy peanut butter. Splurge of splurges for this gal. My diet is based on lots of protein shakes and it gets old not to eat solids as much, so I felt that I needed to eat something. And something yummy. And something with protein. So PB it was, with a spoon because I'm classy like that. That made everything better and I carried on with my day.

Kailpea -- you'll be surprised how a splurge like that doesn't do anything by the time the next weight in comes around! That's why I'm always good one day of splurges. They work for me; not right now but down the road when I'm well into this weight loss thing, I'm planing on having them. And they also serve as emotional and psychological relief because they help you feel like you're not absolutely depriving yourself from everything you like eating.

MissLoud -- makeovers and bargain shopping! I love that stuff! I can't wait till my body is changed enough that I'll need to buy smaller sizes.

Slashnl -- Good luck on your race!!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #278  
Diane

Hi all! Well, I did it! I ran a 5k. Well, mostly ran. Since I've been planning on this race for months, I was pretty nervous yesterday. I was just ready to do it finally. But... it rained. And it rained a lot. Did I mention that this "park" has a dirt path.... not gravel, dirt. So, it was a muddy, sloppy mess. And it rained the entire race, too. So, I ran when I could, but there were areas that were difficult to even walk on, with all the slipping around. At first I was a little miffed because it definitely wasn't what I had pictured for my first 5k. But after awhile, I figured it was just fine. I slopped through the mud, and finished. There are worse things that could happen, and since it was a benefit for a baby girl with a heart ailment, then I can certainly run through the mud. My husband was out there supporting me, and that meant a lot. I finished, not a fast time at all, but I finished. I went to the gym afterward just to shower, since I still had to go to get groceries and I live about 15 miles from town. It felt so good to just stand there in the hot water!!

Anyway, I'm glad I did it, I'm glad it's done. I don't see that I'll do too many of these races though. I like running by myself, on my trail near the river. The people at the race are very sociable, and that's just not who I am. But, proud to have done it. I'll just keep running, just for me now!

Paulitens: Are the protein shakes just to get you started on losing weight? Or is that just a part of your normal plan? I can imagine it would be tough just having liquids! I couldn't do it, I need lots of choices, so I just count calories without restricting too much. I tend to eat healthy foods, but if there are those days I want pizza or something, I just make sure it fits in my calorie goal. We all have to find our own way though, so I'm glad you found something that works for you!

MissLoud: Hope your foot is doing better! That doesn't help to have any kind of injury when we're trying to do well with workouts! Maybe you can get a walk in without your mom this weekend!! Ha!

Kailpea: Yep, sometimes you just have to live and enjoy life with your husband. Just get back to being on plan the next day!!

Toasted: Hope your HIIT workout didn't kill you!! Oh, and if you were supporting me, I hope your run was a little better than mine! You had asked about the challenge at work. I didn't do as well with getting in some reading, but I did cut out a lot of TV time after work. I will definitely keep up with the workouts, taking time to walk during the day and also going for walks after work. I just won't track it quite as much. My boss said that we're going to let it go for May, but she is coming up with something else for June. Should be fun!

Lotus: So how is your weekend going? You had said you had a long day, so hopefully the weekend is treating you well!

Well, now I'm resting until Monday. I feel pretty darn tired!! Some of it is just the relief of having the anticipation over. I'm way more relaxed now than I was last night. Have a great weekend.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #279  

Diane--Yahoo! I thought about you this morning. Congrats on running your first race! If you ever decide to do another one it will likely be way easier than running in mud. What a great accomplishment!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #280  
★ Kelly ★

Congrats on your race Diane - bummer about the rain and mud.

Now I've been very lazy this weekend my foot is still sore and its raining so just not motivated! I'm doing good on the food front though, although I just have a feeling the scales are going to be mean... need to get over it though right?! My husbands dad and wife are over from Oz this week, so will be great to see them but I know it will mean social drinking and eating again will stick to plan. Right need to do some baking for tomorrow as I'm looking after my friends kids again - 3 2year olds and 2 4year olds, you'd be amazed at what they can eat!

Last edited by MissLoud; 04-27-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #281  
On my way to -70

Slashnl -- I'm doing an Ideal Protein kind of diet, only buying my own shakes and other high protein foods. I follow the IP protocol and according to it I have to have three shakes a day, lots of water, can have tea or coffee in the morning which is great for me because I can't live without my tea, have a green salad at lunch and a green salad with 4 ounces of white meat for dinner. That's how my days go, every day. :P But I'm always full. Then in the evening sometimes I add a snack like a Weight Watchers ice cream, or something like that. Sometimes if the craving is unbearable I would have a 100 kcal protein bar during the day, or an egg or something. Last year I started with this very strict diet to just stop my poor eating habits cold turkey, and then after two months or so started incorporating fruit, other veggies, a slice of whole wheat bread, work out, etc. and counting calories. When a person is on the IP diet they're supposed to stay on this strict phase until they lose 90% of the desired weight. Since I'm doing my own thing, I just stay on this phase as I see fit. I just do it to kind of reset my body and my mind about eating crap; if I don't do it cold turkey it's really hard for me.

This morning I was 196.0 -- I was hoping for 195.something but this is great still!

Last edited by Paulitens; 04-27-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #282  
Diane

So tired today. A little lack of sleep last night, and still feeling the effects of the mud run. My quads still hurt and whatever they call the side of your lower leg still hurts a lot. (Not the calves, not the shin, but whatever that is on the side.) Whining a lot today. But, I did go to spin class this morning and I'm planning on going running tonight. I may not go as far as usual, it depends on how I feel.

Paulitens: Thanks for the explanation. I get it now!

MissLoud: Oh boy, social eating and drinking. That's a tough one to navigate. Good luck!!

Lotus: Thanks! There is only one that I'm considering, and I will probably just walk it if I do it. There is one that they have in the fall up at the ski area, and if my friend can rehabilitate her back by then, I told her I would walk with her. Other than that, I don't think I will plan on any others just yet.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #283  

Hi, Everyone:

I just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone. I am going to be traveling at the end of the week and so I have been working like mad to get things done at my office so that I can leave. I might not be here a lot this week because of it.

I have been doing pretty well with my food, although I have been snacking a bit more than I should. I have got to knock that off!

There's not much more to report here; I just wanted to check in and say hello and see how everyone is doing.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #284  
★ Kelly ★

Just a fly in to say hi!! And im still hanging in there - Right down a pound so it wasn't too bad weigh in, maybe its the new normal for me - I'm actually okay with it if its consistant!

Stuck inside with three crazy 2 year olds dancing to the Wiggles - whoop-dee-doo!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #285  
On my way to -70

Today after dinner I was feeling "meh" so I got on the treadmill. A few minutes before I got on the treadmill I learned about Duolingo, a phone app/website to learn languages free, and since I'm deep into that stuff I thought "I'll kill two birds with one stone and learn French while walking on the treadmill." It was a total hit! I walked two miles, burned the equivalent of that dinner that had me feeling "meh," and brushed up on my Francophilia.

Now I'm looking forward to getting on the treadmill tomorrow morning for my second French lesson.

And I'm looking forward to whatever love the scale might show me after that workout. Unfortunately I think I felt the way I felt after dinner because it was too salty and I retained water. That's what happened with dinner last night and this morning's weight.