Old 10-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 181/163/160

Height: 5'10"

Ahhh I see. Well I for one and am happy to know your goals exceed the number crunching.

I myself struggled with binge eating...the go to wendy's drive thru - act like I forgot something the first time - type of binge eating. So I can appreciate the mental aspect of it all.

I guess you have a enough suggestions here to make a smart decision for yourself. I just want to add one more thing that might help you.

After I learned how to set human goals (I actually used to set goals like a robot ), the next thing was to tackle my binge eating. Before I took on any other diet, exercise regimen, etc.

And it really helped to know just what all that 'mental' stuff really was. I know most of the time we're just taught the surface level stuff. For me it wasn't until I learned more of the science behind it all. That I actually started to uncover just how to stop binge eating.

I'd like to show you the video I watched that opened my eyes to it all. It was the first big step for me. It might get you off to a better and different start this time around too.

Its a video by Dr. Lustig at the University of California (UCLA). In it he tells you what binge eating really is...its not just all in your head. And he tells you why you have it...its not just bad emotions or guilt. And he tells you the #1 ingredient that's like a drug. (You probably know this one...but maybe not)

Really hope I'm giving you something to work with here. I'm trying anyway. Reach out anytime. And good luck.

Tell us how it goes along the way. No strangers here
qksolavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 300/195/120

Height: 5'4"

Thank you so much! I'm not much of sugar binger, but I will definitely check that video out. I have numerical goals to help keep me on track and provide the hard data (and because they fit in a signature ), but the majority of my goals involve improving my mental and physical health.
TreatYoSelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 181/163/160

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsakids View Post
qksolavei I loved your post. I may copy it and print it out! Good word.

This time around my goal has been LESS

Not really a number (though the ticker wants one) but less weight, worry, pain, anger and negativity. In the past I would set myself up for failure by calculating myself into a corner. When I didn't get there and let's face it who could considering the goals I was setting I'd stop. Stop dieting, stop caring until the next time I decided enough was enough.

This time I measure progress differently. My weight loss has slowed since the beginning of the year, but I feel good. I'm reaching all of my goals for less.
lotsakids thank you so much! I enjoyed sharing the post (although it seems it magically disappeared...)

Might sound corny (and right on time), but LESS is sometimes MORE. Especially for weight-loss as recent studies are starting to prove.

Fast weight all at once tends to bounce back. Sometimes with company (more weight).

My philosophy is:
Why settle on a big numbers? When you can get so much more out of a little weight lost?

Again glad you can see that too. And I'm really happy you are seeing less weight, worry, pain, anger, and negativity as a result. It seems to be an automatic outcome when you start with the right mindset

Keep going. Because it only gets better!
qksolavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #19  

I am so with you on this. I've got a ways to go too. 100 lbs seems insurmountable some days. I think the idea of sustaining change for that long scares me. So the thing I am doing for myself is focusing on 1 small change at a time. My goal is to build a new way of life...how can I expect that to happen over night?

I focus on consistent small changes. Right now is getting control over sugar. I'll focus on the quality of my food next (goal is to eliminate processed food). Exercise is on my radar, but I am not going to beat myself up about the lack of it just yet...my mental energy is wrapped up staying clear of the Halloween candy and avoiding non-vegetable carbs right now.

Just keep reminding yourself that slow and steady leads to the BIG change you're looking for.
irishbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #20  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

TreatYoSelf: You seem on your way already and that's awesome! The fastest way to get to goal is getting started and you've done that! You will make it! Just keep on keeping on. Even by the end of this year, you'll be glad you started now!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 345/345/190

You and I are in the exact same boat (but my start weight is higher)

i need to learn to break it down into smaller goals, but it's so hard. I think we can do this.
Homer2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

I really have nothing to add that has not been said already other than i have been there and know how you feel. I just followed my WOE and took it one day at a time. Reading the stories of milestones/goals in addition to watching before and after videos on youtube really helped in inspiration and that i can do it. Its now been 1 year, 2 months, 3 days since i started my WOE but time has blitz by so fast that it feel like yesterday. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it it will be 11.03.2015.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 11-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I think it's important to keep in mind that time passes way more quickly than you give it credit for... but a watched pot never boils.

To me, that means I need to accept my new diet as part of my lifestyle, not obsess about it (although admittedly I do obsess sometimes), and wait for the time to pass. Occupy myself with other things.

I still weigh myself (it's fascinating watching the numbers go up and down) and get DXA scans (to reevaluate how many calories I should eat, and whether I'm losing fat vs. lean mass, and so on)... but I reward myself regularly for staying on track with The Plan... not for losing weight. As long as I've been logging my calories I'm allowed my rewards, and if I've averaged really close to my calories, even better! That's an accomplishment!
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote