Old 01-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/350/200

Height: 5'10"

Default Some words of encouragement?

Hey all, I'll try not to make this too wordy. I have been on this site before under a different name, but no longer want my former success to slap me in the face every time I log in and restart...AGAIN. So I made a new one.

I'm a classic case of someone who can diet for a bit, get a good chunk taken care of then I fall off and gain more than I lost. When I started college I was 290 lbs, and got down to 260. I then went up to 310 and got down to 285, then I went to 330, got down to 290...and now I'm at 360.

The good news is, I know what works for me and what not, the bad news is that as soon as I hit a plateau or get discouraged I just fail.

So for those of you have have been able to push through, any advice? And for those of you, like me, who haven't...let's encourage each other to get this done.

I know I'm a couple weeks late but, ya know, new year new us or whatever :P
HomerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #2  

I'm back too after a tremendously successful weightloss and then a devastating regain and feeling more hopeless than the first time. :/

I'm happy to say I didn't gain everything back but that's neither here nor there. I still feel like I failed myself. I'm keeping 100lbs+ off but it's not enough to make me smile.

But....the important thing is that we are back, determined and know what to do. We just have to get that plan in motion!

What works for me?
Reading the success stories here, esp. ones with pictures.
Keeping food journals with calorie counts and seeing the numbers in black and white. I love seeing calories earned for exercise even though I don't eat them back.
Checking in on some threads and reporting NSVs.
Making very small weightloss goals and updating/creating tickers (I just did this today. My previous goal was to get to 222. I'm at 223!)
I love having perfect days on plan (trust me, doesn't happen much lately with all of the holidays) and I find that one good day leads to another and I want to keep up the momentum.

Sorry I babbled on, I got on a roll!

I wish you lots of luck. I can't wait to read about your success. We just have to do it, one pound at a time.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217.6/153.2/140

Height: 5'5

For me it was deciding that there is no 'end' date to my journey and that the changes I am making are for life, I won't just resume old habits as soon as I lose the weight. It made me realize that I can plateau and just be okay with it, because I have tomorrow, and next week, and next month, and the rest of my life to break through it and do better. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I have it all figured out now and I never struggle because every time my weight loss has lingered, I have freaked. Seriously. But that's kind of the defining moment -- are you going to slide back into old/familiar/unhealthy habits or are you going to push through the barrier, strengthen your will, and make the decision that is going to impact the rest of your life? Little habits and good decisions made now will stack one by one on top of each other and eventually become a completely new lifestyle over time, and that new lifestyle is going to mean weight lost and kept off in the end.

Last edited by xRiotGirl; 01-13-2015 at 02:46 PM.
xRiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/277/145

Height: 5' 5"

Unfortunately I fall in the " been there, done that camp" and know exactly how you are feeling right now! We've done it before and we know what it takes and we're going to nail it this time too! I am cheering you on as I make this journey with you! We can and will do this! (hugs) by the way I did the same thing you did for the same reason - had to get a new identity because the old one is too painful to face right now. You definitely aren't alone.
FritzyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Here are some words of encouragement: You can do this. You've done it before, and so you have a plan of action that you know works if you can stick to it. Nose-to-grindstone time, you know how to make it happen so make it happen.

And, here is something to think about: While you are going along with your day-to-day, long before you get to that point where you have gone off your plan and begun regaining in the past, think about why that point comes, and what you can do to prevent it from coming this time.

Is it that you demand perfection of yourself, so that one step off plan means you've "blown it" and you never get back on? Is it that you don't vary your food choices enough, so that after four months you feel like if you have to eat another piece of chicken and plate of broccoli you will die, so you eat a large pizza and ever look back? Is that you haven't figured out a way to stick to your plan when something stressful like a deadline or a house move or a family illness arises?

Those are just some suggestions, common reasons why people lose a good chunk of weight and then go off their plans and regain it all with interest as I too did several times. But I do suggest thinking about it now, when you are feeling positive about your plan and your progress, and beginning to strategize ways to keep it from happening again. We are all here to help you do that!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 362/311/187

Height: 5'7"

I await the answers to this thread with anticipation. This is exactly where I find myself after yo-yoing up and down the scale for over 25 years. My poor body must be incredibly confused and I think it would like it if I just got this done once and for all and I kept it all off. That's certainly the goal, though so far my journey has been chequered. I don't mind that, though, as long as I get there in the end. I would love to know why long term successful weight loss is so elusive. I think if we had the answers to that question, we'd be millionaires, because surely life in a smaller, lighter, fitter body is better? What would make us want to run away from that?

Last edited by OzDeb; 01-14-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: To add something
OzDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I have lost and re-gained 75 pounds (never reaching my goal weight, either) at least twice in my life. I made some changes when I re-started this last time. I've been at it 2 years now and am down 95 pounds. I'm not exactly setting the world on fire with my speed but it's slow, steady, and staying off. What made it different this time around?

- Accepting my over-indulgences, learning from them, and getting back on track IMMEDIATELY...same day, next meal. Not letting an unplanned slab of cake turn into a week-long binge.

- Setting (and celebrating) small goals/successes.

- Consistent exercise.

- Counting my calories and journaling.

- Working regular treats (sweets, chips) into my food rotation so I didn't feel deprived

- When feeling discouraged over lack of progress on the scale, focus on progress in other areas. "My clothes fit better." "I have more energy." "I can do xyz that I couldn't before." AND JUST KEEP AT IT. I've plateaued for 6 weeks before, and I was so, so discouraged and upset, but if you're doing the right things and eating at a deficit, and don't have any issues like thyroid, the weight will eventually start to come off again!

- Making one meal (usually supper) strictly fruits and veggies.

Now, I still mess up ALL THE TIME and I'm not saying these things are easy. But coming here, getting great advice, and setting your mind to doing it - that you aren't on a diet but that you're making this great new life for yourself - that the healthy food you eat fuels your body and makes your whole life better - that's the first step! Be kind to yourself and, like the song my husband likes to sing to me when I feel discouraged: "Just put one foot...in front of...the other..." Good luck!!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I don't know if I qualify to answer, as I haven't really lost a significant chunk of weight.. but I have had trouble dieting.. and have had many, many failed diets over the past 10 years. Usually the dieting lasted 1 month, a maximum of 2 before I'd fall off the rails.

What's made the difference this time (going on 4 months now) is I had to change my attitude. Previously it has always been about weight. I just wanted to be thin. Health was secondary.. and to be honest with some of the diets I did health really wasn't even a concern. I just wanted the weight gone. This time around I'm doing my best to make the journey about health. That way even if the scale doesn't go down.. I still need to make healthy choices.

I've also tried to make the journey as positive an experience as possible. It's a lifetime change so I need it to stick, and positivity is really important to me. That means I find lots of stuff to celebrate daily. Just small stuff like staying on plan, getting my exercise in, making at least one healthy choice, drinking enough water, or even just recording my food. It not only helps me stay on plan through positive reinforcement, but it keeps me away from berating myself when I mess up.

Hopefully some of that helps.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm back, too. I find I can stay on track and motivated as long as things are going well and the scale makes SOME movement down. Once I stall for a long time, I give up. That's what happened to me. I made it all the way down to 161 lbs only to get stuck there for MONTHS. I started backsliding and got back up to 171, but was pretty happy there and maintained that for a good while, till stress took over, and here I am. I'm just now taking the bull by the horns again, and hoping for success once again. I'm finding now that I'm in my 40s, it's not as easy as it was.

Sorry, I made this all about me. *tsk* Anyway, I hope to see more of you here, and I'm here to listen. All the best, Homer.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #10  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiotGirl View Post
For me it was deciding that there is no 'end' date to my journey and that the changes I am making are for life, I won't just resume old habits as soon as I lose the weight. It made me realize that I can plateau and just be okay with it, because I have tomorrow, and next week, and next month, and the rest of my life to break through it and do better. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I have it all figured out now and I never struggle because every time my weight loss has lingered, I have freaked. Seriously. But that's kind of the defining moment -- are you going to slide back into old/familiar/unhealthy habits or are you going to push through the barrier, strengthen your will, and make the decision that is going to impact the rest of your life? Little habits and good decisions made now will stack one by one on top of each other and eventually become a completely new lifestyle over time, and that new lifestyle is going to mean weight lost and kept off in the end.
Same!

That's why I don't get upset when we have pizza every now and then. It also makes it better when I hit a plateau or I gain again.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I think the answer to keeping it off is to stay active helping others in places like this and to keep our mind in the game. I too have been up and down. Below are my major gains and loses. I know the feeling and I know it gets harder to do this each time. I feel like I almost didn't make it back this last time so I really need to figure this out and stick with it.

1990 490 down to 300
2003 417 down to 245
2013 406 now down to 307.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote