Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #76  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Marli you crack me up!!! I am not dedicated like that, good for you for trying with the pie. Pie making does not run in my family either LOL I only make pie if I have an influx of fruit to use up, and then I just buy a crust...shhhh don't tell.

walrus Oh wow, size 10s on the horizon! Do you have a closet stocked with smaller sizes or do you get to go shopping? I hope your first week of school is going well! How many classes are you taking on top of working? Hope the scales moves soon!

Frances What region did you move from? I've never lived in the south, but have family from North Carolina. I guess it really depends where you are, but I've never met a southerner who was anything but sweet! Well, you do have to watch out when someone says "Bless your heart." They certainly aren't being kind when they say that, ha! We should talk gardening sometime! My garden has been very sad this year, though What have you been doing already to try to break the plateau?

Feeling really good about tomorrow's weigh-in. I've said that before already this month and had it bite me in the bum, but I think it's for real this time...I haven't lost any weight from my low in July yet, and I believe I deserve a loss now! It will certainly be motivation tonight at the gym, too. Just gotta get through this day. Gonna be a busy one at work.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

NoName, "old school scales"...I resent that remark! LOL That's the kind of scale I have and I love it. I had so many different ones in the past and didn't feel that they were reliable. I leave it set on my last weight, so when I step on it I know right away if I've gained or lost by whether the little thingy goes up or down. I love it when it goes down and doesn't waver.

This morning I was at 195. I'm not concerned. My highs are getting lower and my lows are getting lower, so it's all good.

DH loves sweets, but when I make a pie it's refrigerated crust and filling from a can. He loves it, and who am I to argue. I don't eat sweets, so I don't care what it tastes like.

And what's bad about "Bless your heart?"

Frances, that's a bummer to hear that about the south. I always thought I'd like to live in the south, but I think that is because of the southern cooking. LOL I've lived in Pittsburgh most of my life and people are very friendly here.

Walrus, size 10s were my clothes from when I was skinny, or at the weight I considered to be skinny.

MarliQQ, sometimes I think that when you get close to goal and then hit a never-ending plateau you are at the correct weight for you, whether it fits you idea of ideal weight or not. When I was thin I was constantly trying to reach 120, and by doing that, I stayed at 125 for a long, long time. Back then I didn't realize I wasn't fat.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #78  

Height: 5'7"

People are nice, but it's definitely...different. We've both had many similar experiences since moving here, and we're super friendly to everyone! Now we just joke about it, although when it's something so obviously exclusionary I get super cranky. (I'm from the Midwest and my husband's from the Pac NW)

Oh, any time you want to talk gardening - I'm there!

MarliQQ - I highly recommend Smitten Kitchen's all-butter pie crust recipe...it's the only one I use - failproof! Just not diet-proof.
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #79  
"Evolution Required"

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'8

thewalrus0 Do you have a full course load too?? Working full time and classes...sheesh. I went to school full time, so minimum 15 creds a semester, and with the number of papers I had and time spent in the library--I was very blessed that I did not have to work. I know people who can go to school and work, usually at least part time, just not something I think I could have done. You have better determination and work ethic than me

Frances123 Innately I am a northerner, but of my 28yrs on this earth, I spent 8yrs of my childhood in NC and just moved from Georgia last year after about 4yrs living there. So I know a bit about southern living . Plus I have this horrible southern/norther accent mix, that only gets stronger the longer I live down south .
Southerners are much more sweet and sociable than city folks. But honestly I think that is because city folks can't show any weaknesses publicly for fear of someone taking advantage of them. I do think they are equally guarded but in different ways, so I truly believe that you have run up against some resistance to include you. I really don't think it is anything personally about you, because they would have communicated that to you--with a smile and probably passively--but you would know if you were the problem. So that being said, you probably need a connection with a member who knows you personally and can vouch for you. They can be a bit resistant to change down there.
Honestly, the best way I find to meet people in the south is just be talkative at your local Wal-Marts--not tryin to be funny--but all sorts run through those stores. Strike up a convo, which is way easier to do with people down south, let them know you are new and want to do a bit more in your area, you will be amazed how many connections you make.

nonameslob I'm crossing my fingers for your weigh-in. You have been waiting so patiently .

Wannabehealthy "Bless your heart", although said with a smile, is that passive-aggressive thing southerners do as a way of being condescending basically. Almost akin to being patted on the head after doing or saying something unacceptable. Don't be lulled by the smile . It is just there to distract.
MarliQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #80  

We live in a fairly small town, and there's a big income disparity between upper/lower classes. Very little cultural diversity. My observation: women are very friendly on a superficial level, but they definitely hold you at arm's length and discourage closeness. There seems to be a sort of distrust of new people. We'll only be here a few more years before we move on, and I like our house and location and am content to stay here while we need to, but I definitely wouldn't want to settle here long-term! It's just not the "small town living" I'm used to!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #81  
Call me NNS!

I am so so happy to report a 2.2 pound loss this week! Finally! Which means I only lost 2.2 pounds this month, but hey...you cannot believe how ecstatic I was to see a new low this morning.

Frances Are you or your husband military? Just pondering why you'd know you're moving on in a few years Sounds like a frustrating place to live. It's hard enough to make friends as an adult, but especially if people are gonna act like that! I hope you're able to find a few good people to spend time with.

Marli Oh you explained "Bless your heart" SO well! Ha!

This southern talk has me missing West Virginia. No it's not the south, but there are a lot of similarities...except I think WV is even better than the south. I met sooo many interesting people there, and neighbors always watched out for each other even if you'd never officially met. I could never see myself moving back there for various reasons, but I would still prefer it over where I am now. Even though I grew up here (Delaware), I've always felt like an outsider.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #82  

Wooo, what a great loss, noname!!! I knew it was coming! You are movin' through the 180s!

My husband's an academic, so we move as his career advances. Although i hope our next move is our last. I want to buy a small farm (less than 5 acres) and really put down roots! I'm not too bothered by the situation here - I mean, people are nice, just don't want to bring you into their inner circle. I've had at least 5 people who've moved here from other states tell me that if you aren't white, wealthy, and from the south, forget about getting into the clubs here (gardening, etc.) (although if you're wealthy enough, they might overlook the southern thing). I am offended by the prejudice of it, not so much for myself but for the huge groups of people that they exclude! Anyway, just a learning experience for us! I have a nice group of people I've met both at our church and at the gym, but trying to branch out into the broader community has been a little unsuccessful! I do have to say that I was warned about "Bless your heart" but haven't heard it yet...I think that's a good thing!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #83  
"Evolution Required"

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Frances123 I am so happy that I am bordering on antisocial, I can't deal with the people I have now sometimes . At this point if gardening club is really something you want to do, I say either start your own, or find a way to steam roll your way into the one of your choice--be a rebel !
--, just joking, because even if you get in I am pretty sure they will find ways to make your next few years not even worth being in it . I say just partner up with somebody who loves gardening just as much as you do, and won't mind carrying it on long after you go. Does your husband know any Botany professors? They usually have a nice web of friends that you may want to get to know.

nonameslob Congrats on your loss! It was bound to budge as long as you persisted .
I am familiar with WV, and I would air on the side of "southern living" .--certainly much different than VA. I miss living down south sometimes too, there is a beauty down there that cannot be replicated in the cities and suburbs of the north.
MarliQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #84  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

nonameslob - I definitely get to go shopping. I am just taking two classes, Aleut Adaptations(an anthropology class in my Alaska Native heritage) and Advanced German. I think I can handle it but man, working full time and going to school is hard.

MarliQ - Yeah, I am trying really hard to move to full time school and part time work. I enjoy buying my own groceries and having money for things here and there, but full time work is definitely not my priority. Unfortunately I have an upside down car loan and have pretty big monthly car payments. I am trying to get refinanced and also my sister is about to get her driver's license so we may be able to split the payments in half.

Anyways, today I hit 195lbs which means, for me, 100lbs lost! YAYAYAY
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #85  

Walrus - CONGRATULATIONS!!! 100 pounds lost - what an accomplishment!!
You must be so proud of yourself!

And I see you're taking German...I *love* the German language and almost moved there after college. I'm way out of practice but trying to convince my husband to study the language with me so I'll have someone to speak it with on a regular basis!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #86  

I'm back down to 194 this morning....watching for the Walrus to whiz by me! You are doing GREAT!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #87  

Good job, wannabehealthy!

Not much to report here. I went high-calorie for 3 days (1800 cals) and REALLY high calorie from overeating the 4th day (2800 cals) in an attempt to break my plateau. Yesterday I went back to my 'regular' eating, but am trying to stay above 1450 calories, since I think going too low was what sent me into the plateau. Still feeling totally bloated and discouraged but we'll see what happens this week.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #88  
Call me NNS!

walrus CONGRATULATIONS on 100 pounds lost! That is such a wonderful accomplishment. Keep it up!

Great job Wannabe How did you do over the weekend?

Frances hopefully it will just take a little bit for things to balance out. I know you were eating more calories, but maybe the bloating is related to what you were eating? I hope it works out for you!!!

Had a great weekend, maybe too good haha Though honestly for a 3 day weekend I feel I did pretty well. We only went out to eat once, and I ate pretty sensibly at the two Labor Day gatherings we went to. It was so nice to sleep in my bed the entire weekend (I haven't done that in over a month!), but still be able to see family and friends. I'm excited to start a new month though. September will be my month!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #89  

Wooo! I hope September will be the month for all of us! Ready for some change!

Some good news: I have been at 183.8 forever. I ate really high cal for 4 days and low for 1, and I'm already down to 183 even. I really hope the plateau is broken for good and I'll (gasp) see 182 this week! After an entire month at 183, it can't come soon enough!

Hope you guys have a great week!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #90  

It was a dull and boring weekend for me. No changes. Still at 194. I did eat a bit of potato salad, but over all I cut back so I guess it didn't hurt me.

Good job Frances! You are definately on your way to 182!!!