02 Regainers regaining control, and relosing

You're on Page 3 of 34
Go to
  • Diane: homemade ice cream. Boy does that sound good. One of life's great treats!

Fera: I wish I knew a good recipe for salmon. I don't do anything when I cook it. I either throw it on the griddle plain or poach it in white wine. I'm a boring cook!

Taryl: eating one homemade chocolate chip cookie shows excellent restraint! Plus, really they taste less and less good the more you eat, so you got the very best part.

My day was not bad. Got some home health help in for my dad, and also, he's actually recovering a lot quicker than I expected. Two days ago, he couldn't walk, and today he was walking around just fine. Very boring 4th as I spent the whole day working-- dreaded deadline. But I was working so hard I barely thought about food. When I really concentrate, I actually forget about eating until it's getting late and I'm starving hungry. Scale showed another pound down. In spite of my tough week I've been excellent about staying on plan.
  • Hey everyone. Hope y'all had a good 4th.

We ended up staying home because I wasn't feeling so great... Probably due to lack of sleep last night. For some reason I just couldn't get to sleep. It was nearly 6:30am before I finally felt like I could, then I had weird and bad dreams and gave up on actual rest around noon and got out of bed. My weigh in today was depressing, so that didn't help. It didn't go up, but it didn't go down much either... only 0.2 from Tuesday. Eh.

I had no energy today and wasn't really hungry for meals. So I pretty much snacked my way through 8 hours, and about 1700 calories. I think the only "real" food I had in there was a 5oz pork chop, a bowl of grapes, a thing of Greek yogurt, and some cheese. The rest was pretty snacky. Unless you count a PBJ and a glass of milk as real food. I had that, too.

And I made a cake to take to a cook out tomorrow. No frosting for it yet, have to pick that up in the morning before we go. I'm also taking a dip made out of base of fat free plain Greek yogurt and light sour cream to go with some veggies, so I'll have that 'safe' snack food. (Do I get bonus points because the cake is gluten free? Heh. There's still a stick of butter in it... "light" it is not.)

Uber - Good news about your dad! Hopefully he'll continue to progress without issue. Kudos to you for staying on top of your eating while dealing with the stress of the week.

Diane - I feel like a dummy, but I actually had to google "spin class" to know what the heck you were talking about. Good for you embracing the difficulty and wanting to get better. Only good things can come from that.

Arctic - The whole process is much more work than I realized! My husband neglects to tell me some important details sometimes. But he's pretty great otherwise, so I've learned to forgive. Good job getting right back on track after slipping up. I have a motivational thing for that problem, too. LOL... I need my motivational pictures! It says "Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward!" definitely better than turning around and going the other way.
  • Hi all. Survived the homemade ice cream! It was really good, but just tons of calories to record. Oh well. We don't do that too often. It was a pretty relaxing day, but didn't get much done.

Uber: Glad that your dad is doing so well. That's good news. Oh, and good news on being another pound down! I've been keeping an eye on the scale, hoping to see a 240's number, but not yet. Maybe by Monday, it will give in.

Mandy: Sorry, should have been more descriptive about the spin class. It is one of my favorite workouts. I went this morning, and they said that the new, more difficult class will be on Saturdays too. So, it will be during my usual Friday, 6:00 am class, and the one on Saturday at 8:30. Hmm. We'll see how that goes.

Well, better go get some stuff done.
  • Diane: Regarding the ice cream-- sometimes you just have to! And I really think adopting a policy of sometimes eating what you want is good. I'm determined to be flexible and find a way to go off plan from time to time without getting totally off track. We will all cheer loudly when you see a number in the 240s! You are doing great!

Mandy: Sounds like your snack day was still healthy. I'm a MESS when I don't sleep enough. Kind of tired and headachy today, probably for the same reason.
    .02 isn't much-- but you are moving the in the right direction! Isn't it funny how we don't really care about the .02 that gets us from something .08 to something .06 but then one that nudges us down the next full pound is golden!

I saw 267.2 on the scale this am and I'm still 2 days away from official weigh in.
    I did not eat any meals out this week, which means that my calories have been well inside my range for every single meal. I think the scale is going to reward me. Right now, the only tangible results I've seen are that my "fat clothes" are fitting normally instead of very tight. Would LOVE to drop a size, but if I recall correctly, I really don't start dropping sizes until I get into the 230s. Sadly, I gave away all of my "on the way down" clothes... Last time around, I rushed out to buy clothes every time I dropped a size... I remember that I bought a bunch of sz 20 women's clothing and then just a quick it was swimming on me. Those were the days! Can't wait to get there again!
  • Oh my goodness. I have had such a lazy 2 days in a row. Both Friday and Saturday were completely lazy. Hubby and I spent most of yesterday visiting with a friend of his who was visiting her boyfriend who lives locally. So we went over to his house and had a little cook out and played a lot of Mario Kart. It was lots of good fun, and I enjoyed it, but there wasn't very much movement going on. My cake went over well, too! It was a Tastefully Simple mix I wanted to try out and needed guinea pigs lol. Pretty good overall, and excellent for a gluten-free cake. Plus, my frosting got raves! I mixed some low fat cream cheese with some splenda, lime juice, and coconut extract, then folded in about half a tub of lite cool whip to frost the cake. So, the frosting isn't too bad, calorie wise. (It went on a coconut lime cake).

Trying to make up for the last two lazy days and have taken 2 "laps" around the campus today (it's a small campus), so it was only like, a mile and a half walk. But I'll be going to the gym later to do my nightly walk on the treadmill, too, so that will help. I'm hoping all the sweating (because it's hot and humid here) is getting rid of some of the excess sodium I had last night while eating with friends.

I hope you all are having a fabulous holiday weekend!
  • Fera: I LOVE reading about your cooking ideas! You must be a great cook.

Worked all day today again. Deadline issues! But the amazing thing. Here it is 3 pm and I never ate anything all day. Truly, work is the only thing that makes me forget to eat.

I have lots of calories available to eat a good dinner!
  • Uber: Before I met my husband, I could barely scramble an egg! Half the time it either ended up a runny yucky mess or it became a charred lump in the skillet... it went back and forth, I often over corrected. I didn't learn how to cook until I met my husband, and realized he was even more hopeless in the kitchen than I was. SO... I bought myself a cook book, and taught myself how to cook. I don't have very many "original" ideas, but I do love to try new recipes and see if I can adapt them to make different variations, since I get a little bit bored if I don't have variety.

Tonight is tilapia topped with sour cream, panko, parm, garlic, and a little pepper. It comes to between 300-400 calories for 2 fillets, depending on the size of the fillet and if you use light or regular sour cream. It's become one of my go-to dishes. And it's great if you don't have a lot of calories left in the day at dinner time. Eat it with some steamed broccoli, and you've got a huge meal without taking a huge calorie hit!

If you haven't checked it out, www.skinnytaste.com and www.slenderkitchen.com are good sites for lower calorie recipes.
  • Fera: Yum. The tilapia sounds delicious. I hardly ever eat tilapia as I got kind of sick of it, but with sour cream, panko, parm, and garlic I'll bet it's the bomb.
  • Good morning ladies, this is just a quick check in. I have had another busy few days since my last post and have been straying and off plan this time. No good. So here it is, Monday, my schedule seems to be FINALLY back to normal...no lunches/dinners out, no late nights at work, no visitors, no parties, no holidays. It's Monday, 5:24 am and I'm up and off to the gym. Trying to get this butt back on track. More later....I felt better and stronger with a quick check in and reality check.
  • Hi, Everyone:

Okay if I join your thread? I am just returning to 3FC. l lost 50 pounds 5 years ago and was a faithful 3FC member. I really liked the support here and it was an important part of my weight loss journey.

I didn't reach my goal in 2009 and slowly started to regain the weight I lost. I have not only gained the 50 pounds I lost, but I gained an additional 20.

I am glad to be back. I am determined to turn things around.
  • ok this is a bit better for a real check in - and by better I mean not 5am huddled over an iphone while i try to figure out how to put pants on so I can go to the gym. I'm kind of a hot mess sometimes.

Ok so here goes - I have not been on plan for the better part of this last week. My professional schedule got the best of me. Between the early mornings, late nights, special events, a client breakfast, 2 client lunches and 3 client dinners over 4 days I was revved up in the wrong direction and hit the holiday weekend like a ton of bricks. I got in a workout on Saturday but I don't really think that one little workout is saving my soul from the overload.

To sum it up today I feel like CRAP!!!!! To put it bluntly but as delicately as possible my body is basically rejecting my last week by initiating a major digestive upheaval and I am engaged in war with my own body. I'm so bloated and gassy I feel like I'm waddling, my back hurts, I'm tired and it's lame. In general I'm one of those crazy eaters - we are a majority organic, home grown, direct farm purchased, home made from scratch, no processed, non GMO, grass fed, homesteading type house - I may overeat those types of food (pasta is bad whether it's made of organic whole wheat or brown rice or not) but I'm just in general not a 'junk' eater mainly because I'd rather eat 'real food' and not something that's main ingredient is partially hydrogenated soybean oil. SO knowing that you can only imagine how my digestive system is reacting to the list of things I ate that were out of the norm this past week - on that list includes cookies, MacDonalds, Cheetos, traditional American BBQ food (think boxed burgers, white buns, heaps of pasta salad) full fat iced lattes, chocolate chip muffins, beer, booze filled cool-aid... etc. I am just not sure what is wrong with because these are things I never eat anyway so it's not like these are even old habits that I was putting in my mouth - these were heavily processed foreign objects that I never even bother with or think of!

All I can do now I guess is pay the price, put it in the past and get back in the saddle. Thankfully starting this week I'll be back in a place of professional schedule normalcy (as normal as it ever gets...) and I've got a few weeks grounded before my next big thing so I'm hoping for time to focus. I went to the gym this morning, I've got all my food counted and planned for today - I'm trying to shove as much fiber and water into my body to help 're-regulate' and flush out my system so on the line up today is lots of fruit and veggies, lean protein, avoiding the big bad trio of bread, rice and pasta. I got a good cardio workout this morning, I'm going to try to get an afternoon walk in after lunch and just focus focus focus.
  • Well, up 1.6 pounds this week. Ugh. I've had a couple of slip ups this week, but I didn't think it was that much. But, I feel like my ring is a little tight and I'm not going to let this freak me out. Well, maybe a little, but more that it is just frustrating. I want to get into the 240's and it just seems like a big block is in the way. But, refocus and move forward. I'll have to just stay on track.

SunnyMac: It looks like you have a good plan to get back to feeling good. It is hard when so much is out of your control. Hope your body gets back to feeling really good!!

LotusMama: Welcome!! Glad you are joining us! We're all here because of regains and trying to lose again, so we totally understand! We're here to support each other!

Mandy: Sometimes it is good to have some lazy days! I had a couple of them too. It was just so hot!

Uber: Good distractions to keep from being hungry! I know when I'm at home, I think about being hungry way more than when I'm at work.
  • Diane: HUGE BUMMER about the uptick. I logged in thinking you'd be in the 240s. Just out of curiosity do you ever drink diet soda? I was really bloated/rings tight for several of the past days. Finally I realized that I had started drinking some diet soda (which I shamefully love) and it must have been the sodium. I quit yesterday and went back to water and ice tea and voila! Anyway, hang in there, as I'm sure it's going to be soon soon soon!

Lotus Mama: Hi and welcome! I think I remember you! I lost 110 lbs in 2009 2010 and I kept it off for a year but then had some really stressful months and gained a good chunk of it back. Now, I'm working on going back down. This is a very supportive spot-- perfect for the regainers! We get it.

Sunny Mac: So sorry about your chaotic week with all of the meals out! It can be really hard to work on weight loss when you are traveling a lot! And I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy! Been there, done that! The only thing I can say is that I travelled A LOT and attended tons of functions in 2011 and again in 2012-2013. In 2011 when I was maintaining a weight loss, I managed just fine in spite of the banquets, meals out, airplanes etc. Now, in 2013, when my head wasn't in the game, I always ended up eating way too much of the wrong stuff. Bottom line-- it is hard to keep on track when you are being wined and dined and traveling and etc. but it is not impossible. YOU CAN DO THIS!

As for me, yesterday I was working like crazy all day-- got to be 3 pm, and I decided just to skip "lunch" and wait for dinner. Ate a nice dinner and ended the day with only 569 calories total. Stepped on the scale this am and OF COURSE the net result was that I was up one pound, to which I can only say LOL.

So, I've always been a daily weigher and I decided to try to have an "official" weigh in day and record my weight only on Tuesdays, but now, I'm realizing that I'm too much of a nut job to have an official weigh in day-- because then a lot of my dysfunctional weigh-in stuff starts to kick in and I feel that I have a tendency to want to restrict more and more to maximize the "official" day. So, back to daily weighing for me. it's easier for me to just accept the stalls and the bounces if it's part of my daily routine. I have had a really good week-- not a single meal out or any questionable choices. As of yesterday, I was down 19. I am REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to hitting the 20 lb mark. Since the regain, I've never managed to lose more than twelve. Tomorrow is my 6 week mark. Yay me!
  • Just throwing this in here because it's how I'm feeling today. Panel 4, in specific trying not to fall into panel 5.

From http://theawkwardyeti.com/
  • Thanks chicks

FERA STEP AWAY FROM THE CHOCOLATE I REPEAT STEP AWAY FROM THE CHOCOLATE! If I can do it today then so can you!!!!!

Diane sorry to hear for the increase - don't let it get you down. You want it you will get it!!!!

Uber that 20 mark is close. If weighing every day as a part of a routine is what works for you then I say do it. I see weird things too - if I am on track in general and have one day WAY over or WAY under on calories I gain the next morning however what is even weirder is if I have a glass of wine the next night I'll be down 3 or 4 lbs the next morning. Too bad I'm trying not to drink!

I had a moment when I when an office email came around today about new office snacks that I wanted popcorner's chips and cashews then I realized I don't even know what a popcorner's chip is and stepped away and got my planned afternoon yogurt. I am feeling a bit better than i was this morning but I'm a little headachy....food withdrawls? Probably.

So far I started today with my egg white bake breakfast (on sunday I throw diced potatoes, onions, shredded cheddar (I use half a regular size bag...1/4 mixed in and 1/4 on top) and either low sodium ham or turkey bacon and various vegetables that were left over from the week into a baking dish and mix it in with egg whites and bake it till it's done and eat that all week) I work out in the mornings so this is a nice post work out heavier breakfast to get me through the morning still coming in under 300 calories and takes 1 minute in the mircowave AND uses up all my leftover veggies that would be otherwise bound for the compost. From there I had grapes and pineapple for a snack, a small salad with feta and steak tips for lunch, afternoon snack is yogurt with homemade low sugar granola and blueberries (farm fresh from yesterday - DELICIOUS). I've got to hold out at the office for about 45 more minutes then I'll be on my way home and I'm trying to get through a full 750ml bottle of water in that time. Dinner tonight I'm committing to a chicken breast with steamed snap peas and cauliflower mash. To keep me busy this evening I'm going to be prepping strawberry jam for canning (an attempt at low sugar no pectin jam that is a 2 day process so we shall see how that goes)

Technically as of right now I'm going to be 'over' today from my net calorie goal of 1200 by 129 calories but I'm not done moving yet. I committed to a minimum 10k steps a day goal (in addition to gym time) and do pretty well meeting that so I've got some more walking to do today which I should get in 2000-3000 on my evening commute then whatever I do this evening once I get home.

I forgot I wanted to share something last week - I'm not sure if anyone has heard this song or seen this video but it made me smile and I liked it enough that downloaded it for my gym playlist If you want to check it out the video is on youtube etc - just search 'All About that Bass/Meghann Trainor' I don't know if people will like it or not but I thought it was catchy