3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

02 Regainers regaining control, and relosing

Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #151

Height: 5'5"

Martini - Woot! Look at you go! So happy that you got great scale pay-off for your hard work. I would love to have you join my obnoxious trainer boy challenge. I am well on my way to sticking his obnoxiousness down his throat. It would be great to double that! I committed to 12 pounds in two months. But my ticker says 20 for two reason - 1. It's a mid-afternoon weigh-in, and my weight is only (relatively) predictable first thing in the morning, and I am not good at tracking my cycle, and my weight can vary by 7 pounds or more if I weigh on the wrong day. 2 - I needed a safe(r) required goal that I felt confident reaching, cuz I DON'T want to sign up - but I would love it if his eyes popped out by how well I am doing without him. Maybe you could do a 7/4 - 9/11 20-pound challenge to give yourself the head start of the 7-pound drop? Or a 7/19 - 9/11 20-pound challenge to really push yourself?

Uber - I love how much you understand this process. The first several weeks are always the hardest. And I have been experiencing the pain of disappointing my husband's "eat lots with me" expectations, the real hunger that goes along with the beginning of calorie restricting, and just the general sacrifice of giving up the pleasure of bingeing and indulging and making sure I have time for exercise. Thanks for understanding, and for reminding me that we both have made it through this with fantastic results. And a huge congratulations for making it through your mental struggle, without resorting to physical binges.

Sunny - LOVE reading about your garden and your homesteading and your politically inconsistent relationship. You are so inspiring. In so many ways.

Mandy - You are SO right about the scale, and I actually have done something similar to what you describe. I have stepped on the scale every time I passed it so I could observe how wildly it fluctuates. It was so good for me to see that. But the scale craziness still overtakes me sometimes, so I appreciate both the reminder that it does and the validation that it actually does happen. (Trainer boy told me that my scale fluctuation comments were just excuses.)

Jessica - You're just so, so cool. I love to envision you in your pool, or taking out the heavy pallets at Home Depot. I just went through a divorce recently (okay - separate four years ago, but still feels recent), so you're definitely a kindred spirit. I am so happy you're finding post-marital bliss and accomplishment, even if you still have some things to work out (like a second job).

Diane - You really are always a paragon of consistency and hard work. Thanks for the words of support and encouragement. It IS hard, and I am grateful to hear that it's even hard for you, who have achieved such great success for so long, both with the scale and with your exercise.

Today's gonna be a great day! The scale showed me some love this morning, and I feel like I'm gonna blow trainer boy away. I also ate a substantial (but low-cal) breakfast, in contrast to the small portion, higher cal foods I have been eating. Both work for losing weight, but the higher portions make me feel more satisfied and provide me greater nutritional punch, so I am glad to have had the ability to make that conflict-free choice this morning.

Trainer boy challenge #3 (11/11-12/11):

(Trainer boy challenge #1 completed 09/11 - down 23.2 pounds - starting weight 239.8) (Trainer boy challenge #2 completed 11/11 - down 23.4 pounds - starting weight 216.6)

New Year's Challenge: to stay under 190
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #152
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Sunny - Isn't it lovely? I might be picking your brain later, and would love the link to your blog! A friend of mine currently does as much sustainable living as she can, complete with raising chickens for eggs and meat, using the poo for garden fertilizer, a large garden, fruit trees, she's building a small green house, and is planning on taking up bee keeping soon! She also makes a lot of her own soaps and detergent and things. Aside from the bees (I have a bit of an allergy), it sounds wonderful.

Laurie - I hate that feeling! The "this is really hard, why don't I have my results NOW? I've been working on it constantly for DAYS!" feeling. There was a quote that used to float around 3FC. I'm not sure who said it but I remember it: "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Pick your hard." It's a good one. You will get your brain on the right track eventually.

Diane - I want to be like you when I grow up I envy your determination to get to your various classes and your commitment to doing them. I'm still in the "I'm too fat to exercise in public" mind set, and feel like everyone would be laughing at the fat chick jiggling away and dying in a puddle of sweat in the corner. Maybe once we move I can find a fitness facility that offers those things. Though, out in the sticks where I'd be, the closest YMCA is almost a half hour away!

And for me - This morning I couldn't resist a scale visit, just because TOM is *finally* slowing down, and I can feel the bloat from TOM and travel fading away. Initially I got super excited when I stepped on because I saw 301.4... but then gave it a minute and stepped on a couple more times and saw 302.0 every time after that. Silly scale, getting me all excited. Not that 302 isn't great drop from yesterday... It means I've dropped over 3 pounds of water in 48 hours. I'LL TAKE THAT.

I don't know if I posted yesterday, but we've got our final visit up to Indiana on the calendar! Hubby will be preaching, and then we'll basically be 'guests of honor' at a potluck lunch after the worship service so the congregation members can meet us and chat with us a bit. And then they'll vote! The council president seems to believe it will just basically be a formality and things will continue without a hitch. The preaching and meet/greet will happen on August 3.

Council will be having a Skype conversation with hubby either tomorrow or Monday to discuss the compensation package and hash out the details.

Excited about this!

New book every 10 lbs!
MiniGoals:
299 (Under 300!)(DONE! 7/25/14) ~ 270 ("obese") ~ 245 (previous low) ~ 230 ("overweight" + 100lbs lost) ~ 199 (Onederland!!!) ~ 169 ("healthy")
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #153

Height: 5'8"

Martini: :c arrot: You Rock!

Diane: You are an exercising rock star! You must feel awesome-- even though it's hard, you are DOING IT!

Fera: Down with bloat? That is really something! Normally when I travel I gain water and it takes days to go down-- when you get unbloated you are going to see quite the whoosh!

Sunny: I definitely have that homesteading fantasy, too, although in my heart I know I'm too lazy to actually do it! Right now, my husband tends to our garden, and I prepare the food. You must have your hands full, with a long commute to boot. Not sure where you are, but I lived in Western MA for a couple of years, way back, and it was one of my favorite places--ever-- even though I'm a snow wimp.

Jessica: Hope those workouts are going well!

Mandy: So happy for you! This sounds like it will all work out, and it will feel so good to move into a new house and bring your new lifestyle with you!

So, as for me, I'm sorry to report that I am having MORE SCALE CRAZIES. Stepped on the scale this morning-- 261.4, meaning I lost the bump and dropped 1. 4: carrot: I was so happy I stepped on the scale again, and then it showed 262. Kind of took the shine off... oh well! My first mini-goal was to hit 260 before I leave for vacation on August 6th, and I think I can make it. Can't wait to get out of the 260s!

End of 2014 Challenge

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.--Winston Churchill

SUCCESS WITHOUT KRYPTONITE!
First Mini-Goal: 260 by vacation.
met 7/25/14
Second Mini-goal 240.5 Half of regain gone.
Third mini-goal below 230 by the end of 2014

Last edited by ubergirl : 07-19-2014 at 02:26 PM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #154
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Diane: It's hard sometimes to know how difficult it is and how hard you're pushing yourself and to know that you should still be pushing harder. As long as you're not pushing to the point of over-exertion, you'll be okay.

Martini: That's awesome!

Laurie: I tend to eat small portion breakfasts myself. At most, they tend to come in at about 350-450 depending on whether or not I have a full serving of Greek yogurt. I'm so happy to have someone who can relate to what I'm going through.

Mandy: Oh, Mandy, that's so exciting! I can't wait to see where life takes the two of you. That's the exact reason I make a point of stepping on the scale at least three times and then taking the average. It's the only way I can feel comfortable about any loss.

Uber: Take that determination and run with it! You can lose another 1.4 lbs - 2 lbs, depending on how you look at it, before you leave for vacation.

So, here's something Laurie got me thinking about... I'll admit the working out is going a long way to helping me coping with all other stress and emotions I'm having to work through. I don't have any feelings toward my soon-to-be ex, but I do worry a lot about my future. I worry about where I'm going to be in five months, or how I'm going to get through even the next month. My health, my workouts, my food, it really is the one thing I have control over right now and I have to keep focusing on that. Putting in the time and energy there means I don't have the time or energy to make myself sick with stress and worry about things that - for the most part - are completely out of my control.

I once again was reminded of this weird reluctance I'm having to accept any success this time around. I stepped on the scale, fully dressed and saw 229.2 lbs. I was sure that had to be wrong. I shouldn't complain about being under 230 lbs, fully clothed, but it seemed impossible, so I did a proper weigh-in. I saw 226.6 lbs. I cringed. That's right, I recoiled at the possibility of having lost 1.4 lbs since Thursday. I don't know why I'm so anxious seeing the scale go down this time around. Every other time I've lost weight, I would have jumped for joy, this time... it's like it disturbs me. I did a quick tape check because the last thing I want is to lose pounds but stop losing inches. My muffin top is down about a half inch. Everything else is hovering about where they were on Tuesday. I guess I'll just have to keep pushing through for the next several days and see what it all looks like at my next official weigh-in.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #155

Quick My Fitness Pal question.

So, normally I log my food and I log the serving size-- but with MFP it gives me very few choices for serving sizes. Am I missing something? For example, on fit day, if I eat 5.1 oz of yogurt, I can put in 5.1 oz, but MFP only gives me the choices of 1 oz, 1 container, or 8 oz.

End of 2014 Challenge

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.--Winston Churchill

met 7/25/14
Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #156
Jessica, Becoming Me

Where you have the option of 1.0 of, say 1 oz, you would just have to put 5.1 servings of 1 oz of yogurt.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #157
Diane

S/C/G: 294/231/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all! Well, made it through both workouts. The MOI spin class was so much better this time. I think that making it through the initial stuff and figuring it out was helpful. Of course, I say it was better, but still a very difficult class. I wouldn't want to do it everyday. The other spin classes are more fun, really, but the MOI is a heck of a workout. Then I went to Body Flow. It wasn't easy either, and I think I might have some soreness tomorrow, but it was better than I thought. I could do some things that I thought would be more difficult. I think it is just because I do have more strength than the last time I did it. But, I can definitely see where I need to get better with flexibility and balance. I'm happy that I started it. After the classes, I showered and then went to the grocery store. I'm not going to lie... by the time I got home, I was whipped. I just sat on the couch for about a half an hour. And, that's ok!

I hope everyone doesn't mind me going on and on about workouts. It really is the best part of all of this for me. But I hate to be a clanging gong, so to speak.

I have noticed that this time around I am a lot more positive and patient. Oh, I have my moments when I just get so tired of it, or ticked off if the scale is being stubborn, but overall I just feel better this time. I think that maybe age has helped mellow my attitude toward it. In a way, that's what made me happier about working out. At 50 years old, I really don't care if anyone said or thought anything about what I'm doing at the gym. I need to be healthier!!! I just can't let weight cause me to lose my choices as I get older. Anyway....

Uber: The other thing about MFP is that if you are not finding what you want, you can input the numbers yourself. There is also a feature, if you have a smart phone, for an app on your phone where you can actually scan the barcode, and it puts all the info in for you. I love that! And, most of the stuff from national restaurant chains are already in the list. Oh, and congrats on the weight loss! Yay!

Garnet: I can kind of understand that feeling about losing the weight. It sometimes feel like if I am too excited about it, then it will be taken away and I'll be right back where I started. It's just hard once you've regained to celebrate the losses. But good job! I'll celebrate your losses for you!!!!

Mandy: Awesome losses for you too! It's just a sign that things are going right for you! Soon you'll be moving to a wonderful new house and you'll be in the 200's!

LaurieDawn: So great for you on your losses. Oh and very smart to build in a cushion of weight loss pounds. Your killing it!!

Martini: What can I say? Your loss was so great!!!!! Good for you!!

This time, I'm going to be stronger, I'm not giving in. - Rudimental
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #158
thinks she can

S/C/G: 343HW/262/175

LaurieDawn - I'm 100% down for the challenge, but I'm going to tweak it just a little bit. Since I didn't weigh in on 7/11 I'm going to split my loss over the past two weeks in (roughly) half and use that as my start point. With where I'm at right now, 20lb by 9/11 should be a terrific goal - high enough to motivate me to stay on track daily but low enough that I don't have to stress about it becoming a stumbling block. Game on trainer boy!

Mandy - You're almost into the 290s! That is super exciting!!

Uber - That's so cool that you stuck with it through all the ups and downs. The 250s are right around the corner and you have definitely earned it!

Jessica - I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to worrying about the future. Other people might find it a useful motivator, but I usually end up paralyzed when I start worrying. That creates a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts where my own fears create the future that I was so worried about experiencing. That way of living sucks. Big time.

There have been a few things that have helped me break through that pattern, but the one that came to mind when reading your post was the image of driving at night outside a city. When we drive at night and there aren't any streetlights, we can't see beyond our headlights. We don't freak out when that happens, though. We just trust that we can see the short distance that we need to see and the rest of the road will take care of itself. Before we know it, we're where we need to be.

When I start worrying I try to focus on what's immediately in front of me. Am I managing what I can manage and letting go of what's beyond my control? Am I doing the basic things that I need to do to stay physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy? If I answer "yes," it becomes easier to let go of the future because it will take care of itself. YMMV but that's what has worked for me.

Diane - Isn't getting older the biggest motivator? I'm about to turn 40 and accepting that what my body could get away with in my 20s isn't going to be what it can do in my 40s is a big reason I'm working so hard to stay focused.

martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetrising View Post
Where you have the option of 1.0 of, say 1 oz, you would just have to put 5.1 servings of 1 oz of yogurt.
Ok. Duh. I'm a little slow on the uptake. Thanks!

End of 2014 Challenge

met 7/25/14
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #160
~*Mandy*~

301.4 today, and I got to keep it!

Plus, I was able to put on a pair of my size 22 jeans that I had to put aside for a while because I got too big for them. My 24s are falling down when I walk.

I'M NO LONGER LIMITED TO MY 2 PAIRS OF FAT PANTS!

Just needed to share.

I hope you all are having a fabulous Sunday!

New book every 10 lbs!
MiniGoals:
299 (Under 300!)(DONE! 7/25/14) ~ 270 ("obese") ~ 245 (previous low) ~ 230 ("overweight" + 100lbs lost) ~ 199 (Onederland!!!) ~ 169 ("healthy")
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #161
Jessica, Becoming Me

Diane: Oh, Diane, I know just how you feel about your workouts. I find that between swimming, walking, work, and my July Fitness challenge there are moments my body is just like meh. I felt like that this morning when I woke up. I just wanted to stay in bed and relax with my dog. So I did for a little bit and then I forced myself to get up and start the day.

Thank you for celebrating my loses for me even when I'm not sure about celebrating them. I think you hit the nail on the head about what it is that's causing me to be so reluctant about getting excited. I just wish I could squash the voice of inner doubt about everything right now. Breathe in, breathe out, am I right?

Martini: That's what I'm trying to do, Martini. Take it one day at a time and try not to worry about what's beyond the headlights. That's the hardest part, though.

Mandy: Congrats on the loss and the non-scale victory!

So, I've gone and added modified side planks (on your knee instead of holding your entire body up) to my list of things that I'm doing for my July Fitness challenge. All the swimming, working, walking, planks, and crunches are really making me feel it in my abs. I'm not complaining, it's an awesome feeling to feel like your stomach is burning. LOL. I think I'm going to take that feeling and run with it. I did manage to finally do 40 pushups total, 4 sets of 10, yesterday. It took me all day to get it done, but I still did it! Also, I went to do my first set of pushups - girly pushups, of course - this morning got to about the fifth one and then had to finish while getting my face licked by Luna. As soon as I finished, she went straight to her bowl to finish eating breakfast.

Last edited by garnetrising : 07-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #162

Happy Sunday everyone!

Diane: You know, I STILL haven't started exercising, but your posts have got me thinking... for sure, the very best part of weight loss for me last time was how fit I got. I went from being unable to walk up steep hills to being able to run 4 miles. It was absolutely exhilarating... I'm really looking forward to getting back to fitness...and your posts do motivate me! Plus, working out gives you something positive to work on-- the hard thing about losing weight through diet is that it's all about what you're NOT doing...

Martini: Love the headlights image! And as for getting older, definitely, it's much easier for me to stay focused and be patient than it was when I was younger. I don't really care so much what people think about me, and honestly, I just don't need as much food as I once did.

Laurie: Hooray for excellent scale days!!

Mandy: Dropping a size, and getting out of fat pants!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this morning, I was smart and only stepped on the scale once: 261.6 :c arrot: 1.6 until I hit my first mini-goal and also his the 25 lb mark, and Tuesday will be 2 months on plan. I'm also planning to start exercising today. Should warn you that I do get a little obsessive about it.

So ladies, I have a clothing dilemma. I'm going on vacation for two weeks in August. We are going to a family-style resort. It's not at all fancy but we do change for dinner at night. I could get away with non-worn polo shirts and capris... just not old tee-shirts and workout clothes. I gave a way every single stitch of big clothing when I lost the 110 lbs and I never really replaced my wardrobe. Since I work at home, I really have very few clothes-- I usually sit around in workout clothes and old tee shirts. I have a couple of go-to fat outfits, but they're both black. I hate to spend money on 2Xs and 3Xs. Thoughts?

End of 2014 Challenge

met 7/25/14
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #163
~*Mandy*~

Do you have a thin cardigan? You could throw that over a couple different colorful tank tops and dress it up with a chunky necklace or dangly earrings (or if your outfits are separates, you could use the black top open over colorful tanks, instead of a cardigan), or wear the black with a thin, colorful scarf knotted loosely.

Edit to add: cardigan + tank tops was my go-to on the way down last time. You can get away with a cardigan that's a size too big over a tank top that fits, or is a little too small!

New book every 10 lbs!
MiniGoals:

Last edited by FeraFilia : 07-20-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #164

Hmm. I have a black cardigan, but it's wool. No black big shirt either. I used to have a black linen big shirt that I wore until it just got ENORMOUS. Sigh. I should have either kept my clothes or maintained my loss!!!!

End of 2014 Challenge

met 7/25/14
Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #165
thinks she can

S/C/G: 343HW/262/175

Mandy - Goodbye fat pants!!

Uber - In those kinds of situations I turn to Goodwill and Walmart/Target/Kmart. Two pairs of capris and maybe three shirts shouldn't be all that expensive if you keep an eye out for sales.

The reason that I'm advocating getting at least a few things for your trip is that I'm coming to appreciate how important it is to take care of yourself as these things come up rather than waiting for some indeterminate point in the future or doing that "when I'm thin I'll..." Feeling good about how you look can have an impact on how you eat and can help keep that good momentum going. IMHO better to spend $100 on a few new clothes than months wondering why it is it was so hard to stay on plan during summer vacation.

I felt so ugly when I had lost 100lb the first time. Losing weight in my face aged it quite a bit and I felt like I had gone from my mid-20s to my late-30s overnight. I live in a part of the world where I can't buy clothes in any store so all of my pants and bras were held together by safety pins. I was swimming in fabric and felt like a hot mess. The reality probably wasn't so dire, but it still felt pretty bad.

This time around I'm doing a lot more for my face and body (treatments and lasers and all that). In part it's an effort to take better care of myself. In part it's a way of creating a mental buffer so that I don't start freaking out about the physical changes that I know will be coming down the road shortly.

martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.