Hilarious recipes from 1974

• Check out this hilarious web page with Weight Watcher recipes from 1974.

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

I laughed my head off.
  • OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

I had to get out the Kleenex to wipe my eyes. And it's not just the recipe cards, it's her COMMENTARY!!

"See how the Ceramic Mushroom Family has gathered to show their children what happens to bad little mushrooms. "

Oh, here I go again.

I'm CRYING from laughing so hard.
  • those were great!! Thanks for sharing
  • <sigh> i'm just old. these date from the time i actually hit my goal on WW. and the program was so much more restrictive then than it is now.

veggies were divided into 'unlimited' and '#4' types. the # 4's were the high starch veggies: corn, peas, carrots, winter squash, and onions, and you were limited to 1/2 cup per day. that's why the unlimited use of dried onion flakes, because they were considered a seasoning and not a vegetable.

and you were allowed 2 slices of bread per day. no crackers, no tortillas, no bagels. 3 times a week, instead of a slice of bread, you could have a small baked potato or 1/2 cup rice or pasta. and you could have a sandwich for lunch only if you had a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

and bread was eaten only at breakfast and lunch, and not at night.

you were required to eat fish five times a week, and canned tuna was discouraged. dairy products were limited to 16 oz of skim milk or buttermilk per day, 1/2 cup cottage cheese twice a week, and not more than 2 oz of cheese 2-3 times a week.

3 pieces of fruit. 5 servings of veg, 1 serving of #4, 1 tbs fat, and that was it!!!!

sooooo, some of the recipes did evolve strangely [i never could get over using tomato juice as a base for pasta sauce!!!!].
  • Oh, man, that brought back "the days!" The first time I ever joined WW was in 1970, and I remember my mom making me mustard sauce to put over tunafish for lunch. Boy, was that a hit in the lunchroom at school!

At the time when I started WW, I weighed what my goal is now. Got down to about 140 eating tuna and mustard sauce, and still thought I was fat (I'm 5'9"). But Twiggy was the super model then, and if you didn't look like a stick figure, you were fat. Sheesh!
  • That was priceless. Did any of you happen to roll your cursor onto the pictures during the commentary. The picture titles were a riot too. I especially loved "snifters 'o gore".

Jiffypop - I too remember those days in WW. There were some very strange things dones with fish, cabbage, celery & all those other free veggies. A lot of it was pretty gaggy!
  • Those recipes are as old as me. I can't get over this one:

The FrankTacular thing won't let me post it.
  • Mexican Shrimp-Orange Salad..."What the h*ll's in that bowl - bong water?"

OMG, I haven't laughed this hard in AGES!!!