Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Cool Gallbladder surgery on the horizon

Well, after many painful days and a trip or two to the ER, it appears as if I have gallstones. Yikes!! I have to call today and get a surgical reference and then see what kind of timetable we are on. The doc says until then, I can eat grilled chicken. Yep, nothing else but grilled chicken. Of course at this point, I will do ANYTHING that will potentially keep me pain free!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this. I've heard gallstones are pretty darn painful.

I hope they can take them out soon. You'll be sick of grilled chicken if they wait too long!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #3  

oh no!! Sandi...Were does your pain start?..I have been kinda wondering for about two weeks if I may have gall stones too!..I am having a sharp pain under my right breast that shoots around my ribs to my back. I have arthritis in my spine so I always blame it on that. BUT..it seems to be getting worse.

What are your symptons?..I always thought that you had to be sick on your stomach to have gall stones...which I have not been? Have you?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:55 AM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

So sorry to hear that Sandi, what a pain (in more ways than one). I've heard a lot about zapping them with lasers, have they mentioned that as an option instead of the more invasive surgery? Whatever course of action is taken, I hope it can be tended to quickly and as painlessly as possible (and before you start clucking...)
Old 10-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

oh good grief. and a few stronger words that i won't put into print....

keep us posted... maybe a little teriyaki sauce on the chicken ?????
Old 10-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #6  

Sandi, so sorry you're having to go through this!! Be sure to let us know what you find out. You'll probably never want to see another chicken again after this!!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Oh yuk. I feel for you. when I had mine out in 2001, I started having attacks (I thought I was having heart attacks because that's where it hurt.) I made one trip to the ER, saw the doc the next day and had an u/s on my gall bladder. (it was so compacted they couldn't tell if I had stones or not) I had it removed like 2 weeks later by laproscopic surgery so it wasn't that long of a wait for me.
Hopefully you won't have to wait that long.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #8  
Searching

Keep us posted Sandi! And take care of your awesome self.

Miss Chris
Old 10-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Thanks guys!! I have a appointment with the surgeon on Thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to have it out next week. In the mean time, Go Chicken!!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Oh Sandi! So sorry that you have to go through this, right now especially. And I feel bad for your DH and Jacob.... hope they like chicken! Get well quick, and do keep us posted! *love*

Old 10-07-2003, 08:56 PM   #11  

Sandi i feel for you cause i am waiting for an appointment for mine to come out too. I just want to forwarn you because no one for warned my friend that after surgery you might spend a lot of time in the bathroom after meals. it seems that some stuff you eat will go right through you. But on the plus side she lost 30 lbs then too. It took my friend a month to get an appointment to have hers out so i dont know how long i will have to wait.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:42 PM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Sandi..
I had mine removed when I was 17 (THE old fashion way) - the attacks are terrible!! you will be so happy when you are done.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Good luck, Sandi, sorry to hear it.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 AM   #14  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

We just found out a little while ago that my husband also has a gallstone. He won't get in to see the surgeon until the 26th and who knows when he'll get into the OR. If you do a search on the internet you will find plenty of info particularly what you should and shouldn't eat. I don't know what you are taking for pain but my husband takes Buscopan which is very effective for him particularly when he feels an attack coming on. You can buy it in Canada over the counter.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #15  
Long Time Member

I did so a search and it said to stay away from Fatty foods and such but even the chicken that I was eating was bothering me. I have since put myself on a clear liquids diet and the pain is gone. But I see my surgeon today, not the 26th. I'll keep the Buscopan in mind if I can't get into the OR for a while. This liquid diet is going to get old, very quick. If you have any sites that were particularly helpful as far as what to eat and what not to eat, I would appreciate it. I didn't have much luck and I have searched several times. It was all pretty general, no fatty, greasy foods.
Closed Thread