Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Default Getting out of 220's and 230's!

We went way past our post limit so I started a new Thread. Today weight is 224.4. I am leaving my ticker as is because I wil be there soon enough. It's not great only 1/2 pound down but considering I had lost in two weeks around 6 lbs I guess I am due. I will admit I have not been vigilant with my water and yesterday had 3 mini reese cups.

Dh left on a hunting trip for Colorado yesterday for almost 3 weeks -oct 30 th he will be back. I was really bummed. One of my older daughters is staying with me. My youngest is 16 but she is autistic and I work only weekends at the hospital so I needed someone to stay with her at night. She is pretty functioning but still needs someone here for her and with my dh gone it will be rough on her. This is the longest trip he has been on since we have been married for 29 years.
I told myself though this is the perfect time to get some things done around the house, painting my bedroom and concentrating on this weight. I am hoping to get down to 218 before he gets back. I noticed a big difference in the way he looks at me. He has never said I was fat but he is athletic and I could tell he has wanted me for a long time to get my act together and lose these pounds. Okay I rambled enough.

Last edited by cleancowgirl; 10-12-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

cleancowgirl Thanks for starting a new thread! You are so close to 218! You can do it!

I came in at 231.5 lbs today. Finally! lol.. I am very excited to get into the 2-teens, so hopefully I fly right on through into and out of the 220s.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #3  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

new thread ty, cleancowgirl

I wanted to say thank you to ainslie, cleancowgirl, Only Believe, Nagazim, and SouthernBell02 for responding in the previous thread regarding my being down in the dumps yesterday about loose skin type issues. It's such a superficial concern in the grand scheme of things and I feel guilty moping about it. Very helpful to know that I'm not alone, but it's even more helpful to read everyone's positive and matter-of-fact attitudes about it.

Today marks several days that I have spent under 220, so it's time for me to say not goodbye, but see you all soon in the two-teens thread!! I was 218 lbs again this morning . Good luck to everyone. This has been a fantastic thread for support and I legit could not have reached this weight without it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #4  
Momof4

S/C/G: 317/*ticker*/198

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Well, today has been a weird one for me. DH has seen me go gluten free and low carb over these past few weeks and decided he wanted to try it out too (since he's already having to eat this way a lot of the time because that's how I'm cooking). Well, yesterday was his day 1 and he did fine. Then his mom came into town with her constant grazing and they both had a good time (RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME) at the October Fest today. I will say that I wasn't hungry for the crap they ate but funnel cakes were one of my very favorite things about the Fall. I'm just bummed. It makes me so mad that I let myself get fat in the first place so I couldn't just scarf down greasy mess with them. Since he gave in a had a carb overload, he can't stop eating but wants me to fix him everything so it's "on the diet". Buddy, you threw the diet out of the window this morning already!... I've just been surrounded by food for days it seems and I'm grumpy about it all since I'm pretty sure I'm not actually hungry, just want to munch since they are. Ok. Rant over.

Last edited by Nagazim; 10-12-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

Nagazim you should be very proud of yourself. You did something that was very difficult and I am proud of you. Did you know that you are one of my biggest motivaters? We starded around the same time and had almost the same height and weight. And we are close now. ( secretly I compete against you in the halloween challenge) . You help me stay on my plan cause I don't want to see you pass me by. And cheer for you too cause I know if you can do it so can I.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #6  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Oh Nagazim, big hugs for you! It helps me to keep in mind that healthy eating is a reward for myself and my body, not punishment for being fat! Your husband shouldn't be eating nutritionally-empty swill either, even if he is slim - and I'm sure if he starts eating the real food that you eat he'll realize how much better he feels and that funnel cakes aren't worth it! My husband is very slim and is so much happier eating in a very similar way to how I eat, albeit in larger amounts with more healthy carbs.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #7  
Nothing is impossible

S/C/G: 296/Ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

TooWicky~ YAY, on moving down to the teens!! I hope to be there soon. I know the rest of this group does too and are following you closely!!

Nagazim~ Way to stick to your plan! I am not sure I would have been able to since funnel cakes are a huge weakness for me. I find that I get very growly about food. My trigger though is when my family eats the "on plan" food that I get at the store forcing me to eat something that I had not planned on eating. This happens ALL. THE. TIME!!!!! I told them that I was going to start putting my name on stuff like I do at work so nobody else eats it. DON'T TOUCH THE CRAZY LADIES FOOD!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #8  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Totally missed that TooWicky moved on to the two-teens - congrats lady!! Hope to follow you there soon!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning, I'm drinking my coffee and thinking on the day ahead. I've got to lose some more weight this week. I hate it when I just bounce around in one spot up some down some, but not going any lower. That's about to change!
237.8 this morning and I want to see 235 so I can say I've lost 60 lbs. 225 is my next goal to get to. I was there a short time 10 years ago. I had lost 60 lbs and got down to 225 and I don't know why but I stopped weighing in and stopped trying and the weight started coming back with no attempts to stop it. When I get there this time I want to pass those numbers and keep on going. It's no going back for me ever again. I'm saying goodbye forever to these pounds as they leave. I refuse to take them back!!
I'm wishing us all a great week ahead.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #10  
weight room rookie

S/C/G: 267/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Only Believe, I was reading back in the previous threads and you were asking for standing resistance band/weight exercises. What types of lifts/body areas were you looking for?

Holy smokes, I am retaining water like it's my job. My ankles feel super swollen. The plus side is that I can still fit into my new pants even with bolating issues. NSV: My friends and I went to a renaissance faire this past weekend and I have a corset that I can usually only lace to the point where there's a 2-3 inch gap in the back. I haven't tried it on since last year and was pleased to see that I could tighten the laces to the point where the sides were touching and there wasn't a gap at all. Now to start saving up for a new one!

Now that it's getting darker earlier, I'm thinking about shaking up my workout routine by easing off of what I've been doing and working on compound moves that target several large muscle groups all at once. I've been heading over to work out at a little past 5:30 PM and by the time I've finished everything, it's around 6:45-7:00ish. Deer are pretty plentiful in the area and I want to do everything I can to avoid a repeat of the Deer vs. Car smackdown from last year.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

Issaknits, Lemon water seems to help me get rid of retained water. Congrats on the NSV! In answer to your question, I don't really know what I'm looking for, but since it's hard for me to get in the floor to exercise I need standing ones. I'd love to have good workouts for my arms (bat wings) my chest, my back (it's looking good but I can grab some fat back there on the sides about mid way)My belly.. Oh it's not pretty.. I hate the apron. LOL I want something to help shrink some fat... my thighs and butt need help too.. about the only places that don't need at least some toning is my forearms and below the knees. I think with more weight lost and toning.. most of the problem areas will look fine. The ony place I'm not so sure about is my lower abdomen. Oh well, I already look tons better than I did.
I have resistance bands and 5 lb weights (ETA: forgot to mention I also have an elliptical). I'm finding a few youtube videos but not sure which give the best results.
My niece who hadn't seen me in months came by Sunday. She said at first she didn't know who I was and that she's never seen me look like this. My sister called yesterday wanting me to send pics to her because her daughter came to see her and told her how good I looked and how I've lost so much weight. That made my day. I sent pics and she said "WOW"

Last edited by Only Believe; 10-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #12  
weight room rookie

I'm not at my home computer right now with all my nifty links to form check videos (I'm such an "am I doing this right? Am I?!" worrier like that) but I'll post up some links to some of the things I do tonight. For your hamstrings, thighs, calves, and butt, squats are your answer. They don't even have to be done with any weights at all: air squats will still give you a burn. I usually do those on Wednesdays, but I'm thinking of putting them in on Mondays and Fridays as well.

It's really weird how your mindset starts to change. Instead of going "urgh, it's Monday" when I woke up, I went "Woo, deadlift day!"
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Too wicky- Congrats to moving to the teens. I am hoping to be there before Halloween. Weight yesterday at 222.7. After working midnights I went out with a friend for breakfast and had the cheese and mushroom omelette. Weight is up a bit but we will see what it is tomorrow. I am drinking up to get the sodium gone. I would have rather had the waffles or pancakes but settled on the eggs.
Only believe- You are doing great. My weight does that too it bounces a lil bit down then up and then all of sudden I will have 3-4 lbs gone. I am going to try the lemon water and see if helps.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #14  
weight room rookie

Okay, I think I found a couple of my links. Ignore the muscle-bound men using 60+ pounds as a warm-up/example weight. What I liked about this guy was that he went through how to properly do each exercise, and he stated that yes, the people doing the examples are using a lot of weight, but you do what *you* feel you can do. Getting correct form is more important than slinging around huge weights anyway and definitely helps prevent injuries, no matter if you're lifting five pounds or five hundred.

I'm running under the assumption that you're working out at home, so I found some dumbbell exercises. Some of these use weight benches, but you can easily use your bed, your sofa, a chair, or a low countertop/tabletop in a pinch. Also, I am by no means an expert and there are plenty of other people way more knowledgeable than I am, but these are just some of the moves that I've been incorporating into my workouts that I've seen significant progress with in the inch-loss department.

Chest: dumbbell chest presses.http://youtu.be/pFcU-d5uDmM This really works what I call my "chicken cutlets", or that bulge of skin/fat that hangs out by your underarm and bra strap. I've also noticed that it's helping to work off my upper chest area and hints of collarbone are starting to show up.

Rear deltoid: seated rear delt lateral raise. http://youtu.be/q1mPicAs1Hs In my experience, working out the rear deltoid helps your tricep muscles and may help out with some of the bat wing issues. I can't say if it's just this muscle or not since I'm also working out my triceps, but my own bat wings have shrunk considerably. You can do these standing or sitting in a dining room chair.

Hamstrings/Glutes: stiff-legged deadlifts. http://youtu.be/vYFpAIxrD2c The one thing about deadlifts is that you *have* to be very careful about your back. I was watching the girl in the background do these and I wasn't comfortable seeing someone go so fast, but hey, maybe her trainer told her it was okay. Just go slowly and at your own pace.

Here's a barbell deadlift that I do. I don't know if you can modify it for dumbbells, but I like how this guy goes through the do's and don'ts and proper form. http://youtu.be/7xwJzLQTKYQ

Triceps: tricep kickbacks. http://youtu.be/xq1N9Tjz9to These target that horseshoe shape at the back of your triceps.

More shoulders: Arnold press http://youtu.be/KbjRW6gErZU I actually like this one a lot better than a regular shoulder press. I've noticed that my shoulders have actually gotten more of a rounded shape and have started to actually look more feminine since I've been doing them.

And squats: http://youtu.be/tboLNWXfLAE What I like about this video is that she goes into detail about the "deep squats are bad for your knees" myth. For me, my left knee USED to sound like rice crispies when I first started. Now that I've just barely started strengthening the muscles around it using correct form, my knee issues have gotten WAY better. What she didn't say, but you can see in the video, is when she comes up from the down position, she's pushing through her heels to really use her legs to bring herself back to the starting position.

I hope that helps out a little. I probably wouldn't do all of this in one day, but pick a few, do as many reps as you feel you're comfortable with, and then take a rest day in between to give your muscles time to repair themselves. They really need that day off because you're essentially making micro tears in the muscle and it's on the rest day where you start rebuilding and getting stronger. Muscles are built in the kitchen too, so I'd pay attention to how much protein you're getting. I've been using (and been really lax about using, eep!) the If It Fits Your Macros (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/) ratio to see just how much I need. It calculates your TDEE, your BMR, and then gives you options (fat loss, maintain, or bulking) on how many calories you need to eat based on how many times per week you work out. Once you pick your option, it calculates how many grams per day of carbs, fat, protein, and fiber you need in order to achieve your goals.

If the weights feel easy, you can either up the weights or increase your reps. I started out on a lot of these doing only three sets of ten reps and using five pound weights. I've been doing this on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and *very* light Sundays for the past couple of months and each lift has gotten easier and easier to the point where I've been increasing my weights by five pounds every other workout. I'm still lifting woefully light (my "I'm struggling at rep #6 and almost dead fatigued by #10" weights are 35 lb. bench, 40 lb. squat, 30 lb. deadlift and 25 lb. overhead press) but I'm working to improve it at my own pace. I know that if I just shove more weight on that I'm likely to get injured, which will slow me down even more than going at my own pace and listening to what my body tells me to do. I just tell myself that one of these days, these struggling numbers are going to be my warm-up set and then keep plugging along, working with what I can and making sure that I have good form the whole time.

Wow, I got wordy. TL;DR: I love lifting. I love that I can take what I've built in the gym and apply it to everyday tasks. The first time that you realize that you're lifting something (mine was a 25 lb. box of cat litter) that used to be a big hassle and now you're doing it like it weighs nothing is a great feeling. I love that while my weight might be staying the same, I now fit into clothing sizes I haven't seen in ten to twelve years and that I can actually start to see muscle definition in parts of my body that used to just be flabby. My hands might have a bunch of new callouses, but I really don't mind them. I actually like to run my fingers over them during the day to remind myself of how far I've come and they motivate me to continue onward.

Okay, now somebody please feel free to tell me to shush. I tend to blab on and on.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

All right, more lifting love! I think lifting is the only thing that's getting me through this journey, and it has really helped me change my mindset. Instead of obsessing over what the absolute lowest calorie foods are, I go through the grocery store asking myself "What will feed my quads? Does this have plenty of calcium so I don't get stress fractures?" Instead of fighting sleep, a lifelong bad habit of mine, as soon as I'm drowsy I hit the hay so that I can rebuild. And lifting just makes you feel so GOOD about yourself! Instead of scrutinizing the size of my belly, I marvel at how hard my shoulders are getting. It's the best thing I could ever do for myself, even if I hadn't needed to lose fat.
Closed Thread