Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/226/135

Height: 5ft 3 in

Default Tracking Body Fat % Lost Instead of Weight

I know overall I need to drop 100 lbs +/- {currently 230ish, most body weight ideal guides set max for my age/height at 119-128. I'm 35 and trying to be realistic}

However, for me, tracking body fat % lost seems to be more do-able and to show my progress much better. Partially because I'm doing a lot of body weight exercises and strength training, which obvs. leads to water retention and other issues that make the scale not my friend.

All of that to say this: Is there anyone else here who is choosing to track BF% instead of or in addition to weight?
evolving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I am!

How do you measure it? I use the body composition function in my scale, but it's good to be aware that it's not terribly accurate. The water weight fluctuation will still affect the BF% as well. It's still enough for me to get a ballpark figure.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #4  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I would be interested in doing this but am not sure how to measure it also. It seems it would take into account my efforts at weight training and be encouraging in that regard. I am more interested in fitness than thinness.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeadventurer View Post
I would be interested in doing this but am not sure how to measure it also. It seems it would take into account my efforts at weight training and be encouraging in that regard. I am more interested in fitness than thinness.
You could use calipers or a scale that measures your muscle mass, fat mass and water as well. But like I said, the scale isn't going to be totally accurate. Perhaps there are better scales out there than the one I have, but mine will show water weight as gained fat. It's not a problem if you just stick with the same measuring system and just follow the trends over a longer period of time.

If you're interested in fitness more than thinness, then simply tracking your weight training by keeping a log would work. The more you write about your workouts, the better your understanding of your progress will be.
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/226/135

Height: 5ft 3 in

sorry, been in sub zero weather, housebound and alla that. Finally above zero so I can send them outside. And the plumbing tech is on his way to thaw our pipes.

Anyways, back to the discussion. I use this Body Fat Monitor It's supposed to be the next best thing to/as good as calipers. The YMCAs use the same one.

I haven't checked my stats in about a week and a half but have a check-in for a challenge I'm in on Saturday so I will get the updated info then.
evolving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #7  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Thanks Spaklybunny,

I think I might try the scale. I do track my workouts in terms of time spent, but I have to admit they are heavily skewed towards cardio. I visit with my trainer this week for a new strength routine. I will look for the scale at Costco this week. Any advice on brands not to buy?

Dee
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

Although I am tracking my weight much more often (every day) and have a goal weight; my real goal it to have a BF% of 22. I only track my body fat once a month so I can really see the changes. I decided to go with BF as a final goal cause I don't know if 140/135 lbs is really attainable. As I get closer to goal I'm going to make adjustments as needed. Besides who wants to be the skinny "fat" person.
ainslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 7"

Oh yeah. I use a handheld monitor. It's best to use first thing in morning after going to bathroom.
ainslie is offline   Reply With Quote