Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default What's a birthday girl to do?

Today is my birthday!

But I've got a bit of a dilemma. In years past, my husband and I would spend my birthday playing board games and eating our way through a big ice cream cake (yeah - the whole cake). Birthday meant super fattening lunch (Chilis big cheeseburger and fries) and that big - giant - cake.

This year, I want to be healthier. I just came off a really unhealthy Thanksgiving break and want to get back on track. I'm still 50 pounds from my goal weight and have some challenging food days ahead (Christmas at the in-laws). But it doesn't seem like a birthday, you know, without those old birthday foods.

I got up today and worked out for 2 hours, but I still can't figure out how I'm going to handle this big food dilemma. Indulge since it's a one-day-a-year thing, or don't? I'm not a 'halfway' sort of person and I think getting ONE cupcake from a bakery, for example, would set off a major sugar craving and I'd end up going hog wild.

Would love some advice. Thank you!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #2  

Happy Birthday!
Between the two choices I would do nothing just to see what it was like to do nothing - a sort of experiment. Now you will know how you feel emotionally if you skip out on the food for events like this! Therefore, in the future, if you are juggling multiple events, and you have to be diet-strict for some of them, you'll know how you will react emotionally/physically.

Personally, I've kept strict for many holidays and birthdays and at the worst, it feels like I missed out on a good clothing sale because I'm trying to save $$ - not super happy, but at the same time thrilled that I maintained my goals no matter what the day. Its pretty shocking how easy it is to get over the next day!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Happy Birthday!

This is an individual decision so I think you should ask yourself what your biggest priority is. During the Thanksgiving to the end of the year, do you want to lose or maintain? Are you OK with gaining? You said
Quote:
This year, I want to be healthier.
If being healthier is your biggest priority you may want to skip the birthday stuff this year. You have had other birthdays and there should be many more to come. How big a deal is it to you to celebrate your birthday the way you did in the past?

If you celebrate your birthday the old way, are you likely to lose control or gain control?

What do you want the most in your life and how do you get it? I think if you answer that question, you will be able to decide what you want to do today.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #4  

Thanks, guys! That's good advice. Now if only I have the courage of my convictions.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Happy birthday!

How about a cupcake instead of a cake?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Happy birthday!

I would choose a single slice of cake or pie (our store sells by the slice, not sure about yours) because the first piece is always best, anyway! Then I'd do something active with the hubby- a hike, ski, indoor rock climbing, swimming, horseback riding...something you both enjoy or want to try.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Happy Birthday!!!

I would say go to lunch or dinner so you have a little splurge and skip the cake.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #8  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I suggest that you go ahead and split a cupcake or a piece of cake with your husband! Or buy a truffle or two. Or get a small cup of ice cream. Pick a desert that will feel festive, special, and satisfying after only a bit or two ... and make sure there are no leftovers (husbands can be so helpful in this department).

I had just a little bit of cake on my birthday and even lost weight that day, with no cravings ... it can be done!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #9  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

If it were me? Jewelry. Expensive silver jewelry. Then I could stay on plan. =laugh=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #10  

Well, I went to the bakery to get ONE brownie, and I was going to get a single-serving ice cream. Then I saw some brownies that reminded me of my favorite recipe, so I ended up baking a small (8" pan) batch of those brownies and getting some lite ice cream. But I did end up eating way too many brownies and too much ice cream, which set me up with a "devil may care" attitude for my supper. Lesson learned: still can't handle sweets in moderation. I'm not going to let it get me down, and back on track today!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know what you mean!! I was the same way, my birthday (umm the WEEK not just the day) was a feast-a-day extravaggganza with anything I wanted shoved down my gullet because it was my B I R T H D A Y

but once I got a grip on myself and realized I'm not FIVE, and don't need to be spoiled and indulged like a toddler, things got better. I just changed the habit. Instead of the week, I made it the day. Instead of every single thing in the world shoved in my face, I ate normally breakfast/lunch, then splurged a bit at dinner.

Any chance of a dinner out with dessert? That way you can eat it but no temptations at home? Any chance you can change the tradition, do something different? It's hard to change habits of a lifetime to be sure, but do-able.

It's weird, but I always had each individual friend take me for lunch at some point during the birthday week or month...now I have lunch with maybe 2, and the rest we do an activity. Not always exercise, sometimes a movie or shopping for the day, concert or comedy club. It's funny but your 'food buddies' want to do other things sometimes too !

If you don't feel ready to have "some" dessert, if you think it will trigger a bigger slide for you, I say skip it and there's always next year!

Last edited by Trazey34; 12-04-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #12  
vix

Happy Birthday for yesterday!! Hope you had a great day!!

I'd go with Dee - the first slice of cake is always the best!
vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #13  

Happy birthday yesterday!

Sounds like a pan of brownies is way better than an ice cream cake. =) Like you said, it's just another lesson on how to do this whole thing the best way you can. You may be the person who says five years from now - "Remember when I used to do that on my birthday? This new tradition is so much better!" You may also be the person who says, "I love splurging uncontrollably on my birthday. It's nice to know I can still indulge and get right back on track the next day."

It's an amazing journey of self-discovery. Good for you for having the courage to go down the path. And hooray for getting back on track again today.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote