Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

We got this ladies. I always find it hard to keep my cravings under control during my TOM, but trying to at least keep up moderation.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #17  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

MARA,. you are so right... We all have the tools and know what we need to do. I hope you all have good numbers today! I have lost all the water weight.. but still have that 1 extra lb gained B-4 Thanksgiving that I need to lose to go forward... Down 2 lbs again last night to 247.6 .... ahhh my old scale is 233 and maybe a scooch lower (Yay!)

Thank you PixiKat for the welcome back and we will get a move on down the line!.. yes we will!

Pam.... Yep.. I have been living Atkins since 1/6/13 with a few off days... This way of eating really works for me as I am not a vegetable eater and I can live this way

Justa - Welcome Back to you! WooHoo!

Niti - Working out is a hard habit to get back into... eating the right food is almost easier than making your body do a "routine" and work out... Tho we feel sooooo good after we work out tho... good ole endorphins!

I know that I had made a pact with Mara to get to the 230's quickly and am going to do my best to do it! (even manuevering past this months landmines of holidays and parties)... January 1st goal??!!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 12-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #18  

Down to 246.0 today, but not feeling all that great. Trying to not to take too many pain killers or eat too many comfort foods.

Way to go Sue!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #19  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile We Can Dot This!

justaloozer. Glad to have you back with us. Great job in kicking those 250s to the curb.

pixiekat That zombie run sounds really fun. Although after seeing "Shaun of the Dead" during the Halloween season of "spooky movies" , I thought zombies sort of stagger and actually don't run so this is "ironic", right? Cute idea! Have fun!

mara TOM --oh boy, don't we hate this. I had the scare of my life last New Year's Eve when I bled so heavily I spent the majority of the time toasting in the New Year in the bathroom. I am sorry you need pain pills for it too. I used to. Now, I just bleed like a stuck hog. while I am having hot flashes.

sue(wannaskip): as a newly discovered pre-diabetic, I hear you on low carbs. I did South Beach back in 2008 and it really isn't as bad as everyone says. However, I got side tracked in 2010 and did a "general" low calorie food plan and now going lower carb seems to be harder this time around and now, I have to because of my blood glucose. So, there is my current struggle. It doesn't help either that our present finances are so tight. However, I just take it one grocery trip at a time.

Sue, I am with you. I thought I would be out of the 240s in October and then I said November and now I am hoping for mid-December. However, I have decided that I am here until I am not here. Let's make a pact for making the best choices we can each day and build on those daily successes?

I am still at 244.6 after a couple of days of really high sodium and a few extra calories. I credit that to logging my food plan and working out two days in a row. I enjoy exercising, in spite of my RA, and that has really helped me "sweat off the salt". We have our annual Christmas party this coming Friday at church. A sit down dinner and live music. Again, I will try to make the best choices that I can and focus more on the conversation and less on the dessert table.

Hope everyone has a great day, Pam
Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Mara you can totally do this without comfort foods! I hope you feel better soon

sue my unofficial stretch goal for the month is to make it into the 230s, my goal is more like 5lbs so just shy lol

Pam it sounds super fun, I've never ran it but I have volunteered as a zombie before and that was fun. The weather forecast for austin is currently saying it is gonna be in the 30s and rainy so I'm starting to wonder if I should wimp out. catching the flu the week before finals doesnt sound like the best of ideas :s plus, i HATE the cold
Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #21  
Sue finding inner song

Mara... is the pain and bloatiness going away? I hope so...and just think of how much better you are going to feel and how much lighter you will be too! (ohhhhh I remember Tom... somewhat fondly lol)

Pam - I love your posts! You are an inspiration and what you are working thru to accomplish what you need to do is a story of strength, a story to emulate!

Pixikat... I hope you stay warm today... bbbrrrr I saw the weather for the country and its cold out there (Florida is staying warm THANK GOD!) I grew up in the Chicago area and lived thru -30 degrees walking to school.. so I feel for you! and YEP we can get to the 230's or get so darn close that the New Year has that gift waiting for us!

NIKI and JUSTA... How are you 2 doing? Welll I am thinking!

I lost alittle more of the water 247.2 now... so .8 away from all time lowest on this journey... I ate badly at dinner - Coated Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill... oh well.. I had a GREAT time with my beading/jewelry class friends... we talked for 2+ hours and laughed! BACK on the train today! All back to Induction to see 246 or lower tomorrow!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 12-05-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #22  

I don't want to post my weight today. lol I hope it it water weight from bloat and the meds. Thanks for the positive vibes ladies. I am still in some pain, but hopefully it will subside by tomorrow.

It looks like you guys are doing great!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #23  

sue ugh the cold front!! I think it is here solely to make me miserable well shrimp isnt the worst thing you could have had so good job with moderation! lol

Mara unless you went nutso with calories all it COULD be is water weight, it'll flush right off after TOM is over.

I'm still doing well, my last week of classes for the semester so thats exciting. I'm ready to be done for awhile, the fact they make fall break over thanksgiving makes the semester seem never-ending.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #24  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Good day everyone!

Well, I have been watching the weather closely. It looks to me that TX is getting more than just cold rain. Aren't you getting some cold air as well as ice and maybe snow too? I too grew up in the Upper Midwest and MN is the same as Chicago although I think Chicago has more of that wind. The news was saying that the orange crops in SO CA are in danger of freezing. Crazy weather for the entire country this past year. It seems the weather goes from one extreme to the next. I think we are going to get something out of all of this here in northern GA but I am just not sure what. We have plans for this coming weekend so I will have to see how I need to dress when we go out.

I would be more concerned for the slippery roads and sidewalks , pixie, more than anything. I fell on ice and had knee surgery about 10 days after that. That started arthritis in that knee and now I will need a knee replacement when I can afford it (which I may be waiting "forever" on that one). If you do decide to run, make sure you wear moisture wicking layers or layers period and make sure you dry off once you are indoors. I used to walk in all kinds of weather and you can really lose a lot of body heat quickly in the cold.

Pixie Good luck on finishing up your semester. What are you studying?

mara we all in the same boat here so don't feel bad about TOM and how you get through it. Do your best and let it go. I am really struggling to figure out why I seem to be choosing foods with so much sodium in them and then how to eliminate them as well. It is such a source of frustration for me right now, I could scream. I think I have come to the "slow" realization that I am going to have to "give up" pizza, hot dogs, possibly tomato sauce as well as Chinese if I am going to see these numbers really take a nose dive. Only for me I guess.

Sue(wannaskip): So, what are you making or learning in your jewelry class? I always wanted to take one of those and possibly (if I ever got good enough at it) to make my own jewelry. I always like jewelry that is unique but sometimes it is both hard to find but also at a reasonable price. Are you making gifts to give away or something special for yourself?

All Thanks for the words of encouragement. I sure need them. I really do.

Sadly, we had to postpone moving because we simply don't have all the extra money to do that. I had to call the leasing agent to let her know of our changed plans and I have been in a bad mood ever since. I don't even feel like putting up a tree this year but that is just nonsense so I am just going to have to suck this one in. As one woman I used to know once said, "Now, it's time to pull up my big girl panties and get on with it."

There "may" be a silver lining though. Finally, after six months of really stretching that buffalo nickel, work for my DH might be picking up. Since I manage our family finances the pressure for me is to make sure that I make good and wise decisions. No pressure there, of course. It is an agreement DH and I made a few years back: he makes the money, I manage it. It works for us. He hates dealing with all of that, including sometimes making financial arrangements, if needed. However, it is times like this when it doesn't matter whether we have the money for some bills or not, we just have to "find the money".

Thanks all for listening. The one thing that I don't want to do though is eat over my $$ woes. So, I give myself credit that I have stuck with working out 8x in the past 10 days and although I have gone over on my calories for the past three days (not to mention sodium), I am still logging every bite that I eat.

I still hope to hit high 230s by mid-December and maybe low 230s by the New Year.

We can do this! Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/140

Hi y’all!!

Yes Pam it does suppress appetite – tbh I’m not sure about it either, it was my doc’s suggestion and I have to hand it to her it does really curb my hunger a lot but it’s not something I want to get too used to. I’m keeping in my head to just use it as a tool, maybe switch to something later that doesn’t have such a bad rep. My mom always says to have a hot drink if I’m feeling hungry but my trouble is I always always want cookies with a hot drink, so I’m having to stop hot drinks til I can stop these associations. Popcorn could be good though, that’s the air popped kind right?

LOL!! I have an image of you coaxing out your hourglass apple core from beneath your apple shape – this is what I need!! Would pilates be good for this?

Sorry to hear about your troubles and about you not being able to move, but you still seem to have such a positive attitude – keep it up and like you say, concentrate on making good daily decisions and the results will come – good luck!!

Pixikat – the energy thing isn’t something I’m feeling yet, it’s odd as I was told it would be like nervous energy at first but that doesn’t even sound all that appealing to me, maybe being more energetic myself will help top up my supplies?!

Hey Sue! It’s early days but I think the working out is working for me – lovin’ those endorphins alright! Also I had a super sweet instructor yesterday and I wasn’t even the biggest in the class which amazed me! I did body pump followed by pilates – man was body pump intense! Pilates was pretty hard on my middle too – I can feel that I’ve exercised everywhere today but the tops of my thighs are the worst! Back in the saddle tomorrow with step!!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #26  

Pam I live on campus so I don't drive much so I don't have to worry about the roads at the moment (but I'm kinda scared about driving to Austin after the sun goes down :s . And I can get around most of the school without going outside because we have skywalks connecting most of our buildings so between that and a good eye I hope I can avoid slipping! my DH lived up in wisconsin for a winter, he is from the gulf region of tx so he had never seen snow/ice before, well one day he saw a puddle and decided to jump in it... wasn't a puddle! fell on his backside, said it hurt for a week. I told him he was lucky he didnt break his tailbone lol.... anyways, I am a junior in they Psychology department. I hope to graduate next fall or perhaps spring '15, then I am planning on a masters in marketing.

Boo to not being able to move! but it is good you dh's work is picking up

niki i'm kinda jealous your doctor suggested it, I asked my doctor about it, not even asking for a prescription just for information so I could decide if i wanted to try it and she straight up gave me this snappy "I don't prescribe weight loss pills" in a sort of condescending voice. it kinda pissed me off because I had actually read about it and talked to people about it and she just shut me down without anything. then last time i was there she was trying to push WLS on me not 3 minutes after I told her I will never get WLS because I am not willing to live with the restrictions after. I lost from 320 to 202 without surgery, I can do it again and go further. Idk it just got to me lol anyways, congrats on the exercise!! sounds like you are doing great! just keep in mind when you start exercising the muscles will hold a ton of water so you may see some bouncing on the scale.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #27  
Sue finding inner song

Pam... Oh the jewelry classes were good (Took them at the local adult education classes at high school 7 years ago and our group and our teacher became friends and meet and show each other how to do things) It is so fun. There are so many ways to make jewelry... if you have a local Bead/craft store.. they might have classes... You can bread (Kumihimo) threads, Wire Work, Just string beads on Elastic cording, tie and glue, Use fishing wire (Fireline) and string seed beads in a pattern, do a wrap loop on a stone/charm/bead etc and attach it to a chain type necklace/bracelet with a jump ring, and Chain Maille which is attaching numerous jump rings in a pattern... I am learning how to do the Soutche now.. which is sewing beads in between different colored cording to make shaps... It is an amazing craft! and I have too many finished projects ! lol someday (oh I hate that word) I will sell them on Etsy or something!

Pixikat.. What a great major! and good for you!.. You are going to be in a field to help people!.. but YEP be careful of the ice (Ouch for your DH!) I grew up in Northern Illinois and lived 28 years in the cold/snow and ice! I remember hitting the deck many times and of course the car sliding sideways... I hope you do not come across any surprise ice walking to classes! nor driving in the dark!

Oh I am happy - just .2 away from my all time low on this final journey! 246.8.... I so want the 230's and should be there January (my goal from last January 2013 was to be 201 at 1/1/14 not going to make it.. but I am SOOOOOO much closer than this time last year!)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #28  

Morning! Today was a much better weigh in than yesterday, 248.2 vs. 245.6. Not my lowest but better. I feel better too.

Pam I am glad your DH work is picking up. Relieve some stress off of you both.

Pixicat I would be mad if my doctor would not even dicuss options with me. I understand if she personally discourages it, but she should at least provide you with the reasons so you can evaluate them.

Sue the class sounds fun. And watch you move that scale.

Niki I have never done the bodypump class, but I have done the body flow and loved it! Some people said it took them 2 to 3 classes before they felt the same, but I enjoyed it from the start. Alas, I don't have access to the classes anymore, but maybe I will save up for a gym membership.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #29  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile It's A New Day!

Good day everyone

Niki I don't know much about prescription medication to lose weight since I don't have health insurance at the moment (although it may change in 2014). I do know that Dr. Oz did "approve" of one of those but I am not sure which brand it was. I guess, if you use it along with eating a sensible and well-balanced food plan as well as exercise then I too would consider it a WL "tool".

I am not an expert but my experience not only in losing the weight that I have as well as keeping that same weight off (give or take a couple of pounds) is that I have had to become a different person than I once was. This did not happen overnight but it has been happening.

Although I didn't meet my weight loss goals for this past year a lot of behind the scenes stuff has been happening that has really made a huge difference and which I do think will make 2014 a lot different as well. Although I "only" lost 20+ lbs since January of this year, I finally got a "handle" on a lot of other things that were contributing to staying at that previous weight of 266.6 lbs. I was that weight for about 18 months or longer. I have been at this present weight about 6 months so that in itself is progress for me.

The major change that happened over this past year is that I have more confidence in myself overall. I also worked on some of the underlying causes of my perpetual overeating. For example, I joined a "sleep challenge" on another site in the summer. I have been plagued with insomnia and take sleep meds for that for 13 years. Well, that sleep challenge taught me how to deal with some of the underlying causes of my insomnia and now I both sleep better and I awaken more rested. This also helped stop me having late night snacks (which became almost automatic) so that freed up about 400-500 calories every day.

Then, I realized that the best food plan for me is a "controlled" carbs (vs a low carb like Atkins or South Beach) food plan with a strong emphasis on both fats and proteins. When I eat around 200 grams of carbs (which might be a lot for some people but not me since I have a fast metabolism) I have almost no issues with that gnawing hunger that can really derail the best diet.

I actually even did an "experiment" to see if this was the reason why I wasn't hungry by having a day of higher carbs vs more "controlled" carbs and I was right every time. Protein is a great "natural" appetite suppressant and the only thing you have to be concerned with is drinking more non-caloric liquids because of the potential of kidney problems. No problem for me since I have a glass of something near me at all times.

I do have a bag of 94% fat free microwave popcorn almost every night when I sit down to watch t.v. A full bag has 54 grams of carbs and I can munch on that for 2 hours at least.

Good job on keeping up with your workouts. I do feel that exercise is a great way to both improve a person's mood as well as stoke those fires in burning up extra calories.

Pixiekat A Major High Five for losing so much weight before. I haven't seen 202 since the summer of 1983 so I am green with envy on that one. I too have chosen to not have WLS. I am neither for nor against it. At the time that I did have health insurance I would not have been a good candidate psychologically because I had an eating disorder. I did work on that in the past so now all that remains is learning how to live and eat like a thin person. I credit the Beck Diet Solution (we have a thread here on 3FC) for helping teach me new life skills to do that.

This may be premature to say this but now that I am actively using my Beck Diet Skills I do think the last 100 lbs will be easier to take off than the previously 60 lbs.

Sue(wannaskip)
: Now, I really want to take some jewelry classes. That sounds like something I would really enjoy doing. I will definitely look into that and see what they have around here for classes.

I too did not meet my weight loss goals this past year but I too still feel like I came out a winner. I lost and kept off 20 lbs., I broke the cycle of late night noshing, I sleep more consistently, I have addressed my chronic pain from RA with better pain management (including some great physical therapy exercises for my joints which I have done faithfully since March) and I think I have finally gotten a more realistic view on both how long this will take and what I am willing to do to achieve it. So, great job on what you have done as well!

Mara: Glad you are feeling better and the scales is to your liking. Would someone clue me in on what the body pump and the body flow classes are like?

I have done Pilates for about 8 months and it does make a huge difference through your torso. "Apple be gone!" It is something that if you do one inch better than the last time, you are making progress. You do have to be patient to see results but I can now follow an instructor who is 35 years younger than me and keep up with her.

Tonight my DH and I are going to our church's Christmas party. It is a buffet style dinner along with live music. My DH has sworn he is wearing ear plugs. "a sign of getting older I think" I am wearing a black sequined tank top with black crepe pants (it is supposed to rain) along with a black crepe jacket. None of this fit me last year so I am very excited about wearing that. It made all of it worth it this past year.

Well, take care all and stay warm Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Hi ladies! Thanks for the welcome back!!

Mara TOM just left for me too. I am hoping within the next few days some extra lbs will come off. I weighed in at 248.8.

I am having a difficult time managing to exercise. I just started working a retail job (after being a SAHM) and my hours are super early in the morning. By them time I get out (around noon) I am so beat. But I still have to take care of everything that I normally do (cooking, cleaning, caring for the kids).

I am going to set a goal of aiming for the 230s by Jan. Not sure if the 1st is doable, but I sure can try!
Closed Thread