Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
There are opinions and there are facts. Those aren't the same. When someone is using Dr. Oz as their TV doctor, it might be useful for them to know that many of his claims are shaky at best, often disproved, and fringe and/or junk science. Many of his "experts" have no relevant credentials.

There's an article in The New Yorker that makes a pretty good starting point if you're interested.

Also, due to some posts that have circulated via email and Facebook, some people have the idea that giving up Diet Coke is going to be the key to eternal weight loss and...its just not. I agree that cutting back (for some) and giving it up (for me, because I LOVE IT and can't drink just some, I want it ALL, ALL the time) is a good idea, but you're not going to suddenly start shedding weight effortlessly.
So Dr. Oz is the only person ever to say aspartame is bad and otherwise it's a really good thing? Personally, I don't ingest anything with aspartame so, no, I'm not particularly interested in reading anything more about it. Someone said they were going to give up diet soda. What's wrong with that whether it results in weight loss or not? Also personally I don't give a crap about Dr. Oz. I've never seen his show or know anything about what he espouses or doesn't espouse.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly; 11-27-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
So Dr. Oz is the only person ever to say aspartame is bad and otherwise it's a really good thing? Personally, I don't ingest anything with aspartame so, no, I'm not particularly interested in reading anything more about it. Someone said they were going to give up diet soda. What's wrong with that whether it results in weight loss or not? Also personally I don't give a crap about Dr. Oz. I've never seen his show or know anything about what he espouses or doesn't espouse.
Maybe you are misreading me because I can't really figure out where the hostility is coming from? The OP mentioned Dr. Oz and someone else mentioned that you need to be careful about what you hear from him and do your own research because his facts can be kind of dodgy. The OP said she categorically did not believe that and I was adding to that conversation and suggesting some reading (about Dr. Oz, btw, not artificial sweeteners) that people might find interesting.

Anyway...

Back to the OP, I love Diet Coke and was really resistant to giving it up for a LONG time. I actually think artificial sweeteners in small doses are probably fine for most people but as I said, much as I'd like to, I can not make a case for drinking 12 per day (which is what I would normally do) and I'm not good at moderation so they had to go. I don't have an objection to some caffeine and like I said earlier, some caffeine and particularly drip coffee is actually good for things like high blood pressure. We have a locally made product called Cool Brew (you can order it online if you're interested and it comes in a variety of flavors. I like original). I have two shots in ice water (you can use milk, I'm not a huge milk fan) first thing every morning. I have a short double Americano from Starbucks mid afternoon. I have tried going off Diet Coke in the past and without the caffeine to get me through, I felt SO BAD...like flu symptom bad. I think that's why I could never hang with it. I was reduced to tears and a stressed out mess and my husband would always start suggesting maybe it wasn't a good time to give up the Diet Coke So helpful (not).

I also really like fizzy water like San Pellegrino, Perriier (especially grapefruit), and La Croix (lime). I don't drink tons but it's nice when I want something fizzy and a little more exciting than water. Other than that, I drink loads and loads of still water. I am so thirsty all the time! I have had a few Diet Cokes in the past few weeks - at someone's house, lunch with friends, but I think I have FINALLY turned the corner where it's a kind of low grade want and not a high priority craving.

Stick with it. It's hard, but you can do it!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #33  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The OP was not given any unsolicited advice. She was given what she ASKED FOR in her original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfattimes3 View Post
I am giving up a 25 year love affair with diet coke. I have been drinking a minimum of one 20 oz bottle a day to a six pack daily.
I`m on day two and have a killer headache. I could have weaned myself off but after watching an episode of Dr. Oz where he talked about how bad it is I don't want it anymore. I`m so excited that this will help greatly with my weight loss.
I wonder how long do the withdrawls last?
Does anybody have experience with this they can share?
Diet coke was the only thing I drank so now I`m only drinking water.
Thanks Kelly
"Does anybody have experience with this they can share?"

Nowhere does it say "but only if your experiences and opinions are 100% consistent with what I want to hear."

If you're only willing to hear only certain types of responses, at least have the decency to say so. Tell us what you are and aren't willing to hear. The vast majority of people will respect your wishes. I certainly wouldn't have wasted my time and energy sharing my experiences if I had known that only certain experiences were welcome. I wouldn't have wasted my time sharing my POV, if I had realized it wasn't really wanted, but if someone sends out a public request for opinions, I'm going to assume they actually expect people to have and share actual, real opinions. If you don't really mean it, don't ask.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

This whole thread has gone so wrong. What is wrong with people? Where did I say I was using Dr. Oz as my tv doctor? What makes you think I live and breathe by the show? What in my post gave you the impression that I wanted to know what you think of the show, because I don`t care. Yes I asked for your experiences with CAFFEINE WITHDRAWLS. I didnt need leactures about "taking what he say's with a grain of salt." Where did I say I believed everything the man says. Unsolicited advice is the worse so are know it alls. Kaploid why are you here? Its obvious you think you know it all, your rude and snooty. Newsflash your **** stinks too! I certainly could have done with out your input. I'll never post here again I can't believe what group of opionated, closeminded , know it alls. Dr. Oz rules LOL
Go ahead put your two worthless cents on this one because I refuse to come back and waste a minute more of my time reading this garbage. Go trash someone elses posts throw your unsolicited advise and over bearing opinions. Kaploid careful don`t fall off your high horse.

To those who gave relivent advice thank you.
Happy Thanksgiving all
Closed Thread