I want to run but...

• OK, this is embarrassing but, where else can a girl ask a question like this?!

Tonight, I ran down to get the mail.... literally! While, I loved the way it felt and I know I want to add running to my routine, There is one thing I didn't like: The slapping sound of my fat. It's LOUD! I was wearing compression pants but it still happened. How on earth can I bring myself to run in public if I'm going to be applauding myself down the trail?!

So, the question is... any other big girls run? And, if so, how do you contain the slapping sounds?
  • I run on the treadmill at the gym. I put in the headphones, crank up the music or tv, depending on where I'm at and what's available. If anything is making noise, I don't hear it. If anyone else hears it, I don't care.
  • I get really bad gas. And it gets really really bad on the treadmill. I do what bSrping3 said and just listen to my music. I doubt most people are listening or care.
  • Well then, I guess if someone has to encourage me, I might as well let my belly applaud my hard work... I really hate the sound and feel of the fat slapping but, I LOVE the feeling of running!
  • I am 10% positive there is some other kind of garment you can layer with compression pants. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it exists. Pregnant and plus size runners are everywhere these days. If we can't find something to deal with what has to be a very common problem, then we need to make one pronto because this topic comes up a lot!
  • Let it applaud you! I face the same issue... I don't run (yet) but I do the 30 Day Shred and every time I do a jumping jack I hear the slap too. Luckily I do the video at home. I want to start running as well... and I agree with everyone else. Who cares what other people think! You are doing something healthy for YOU and no one else has any say in the matter! Enjoy running!
  • I was a runner before pregnancy and I will be again after I give birth to our baby, but I know exactly what you mean! The best remedy for me is to pump up my music and get lost in seeing what my body can do! I also using that little sound as a motivator, to keep going because that sound will become less and less noticeable the more I push myself!
  • Adding running changed my life. I could hardly walk last year exercise-wise and to think I can run a 5k now is mind-boggling.

I run 99% on my treadmill in the privacy of my own home (don't even let DH see me!) but recently I had a little emergency (nothing serious) and had to run over a mile back to my car (I was walking on an asphalt trail) and I did it! I ran past people like I owned it and no one even knew that I never ran outside before!

My body was so much more slender and fit once I started running. Do what makes you feel good and have no regrets. Good luck!
  • I'm sure my tummy fat makes a slapping sound when I run. I'm not positive because the sound of my huffing and puffing probably drowns it out. And I drown out the huffing and puffing with my iPod.
  • Quote: Let it applaud you! I face the same issue... I don't run (yet) but I do the 30 Day Shred and every time I do a jumping jack I hear the slap too. Luckily I do the video at home. I want to start running as well... and I agree with everyone else. Who cares what other people think! You are doing something healthy for YOU and no one else has any say in the matter! Enjoy running!
    Jumping jacks were invented by a cruel demon from the deepest parts of ****!!

Seriously, I hated them when I was fat and hate them just as much today!!

Jen
  • CherryPie, first of all I looked at your goal pics and you look AMAZING!! And I quite agree that jumping jacks are the worst! I am screaming at the TV by the end of the work out.
  • You are concentrating on the wrong sound. Concentrate on the sounds of your feet hitting the pavement. It's beautiful music.
  • Quote: You are concentrating on the wrong sound. Concentrate on the sounds of your feet hitting the pavement. It's beautiful music.
    As always, I wish there was a like button!!