Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315.1/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 7"

Unhappy I'm struggling

This has been a terrible week. We found out Tuesday that our dog of 15 years has lymphoma and we were told with the medication, he would still probably be gone in a month maybe two. Yesterday, the medication had obviously kicked in and he was happy and cheerful. He played, ran, ate and, drank like normal. This morning, he was sick again. Drooling, vomit and just wanting to stand out side and not come in. While I am hopeful the medicine will still help, I know in my heart his time is very close. I am devastated! My dogs are my children and yes, he is mine and I am slightly biased, but I have NEVER met a sweeter more loving and loyal companion. I have also never known my husband without this dog. He is going to be heartbroken when we have to finally put him down (which I fear may be in the next day or two).

Even as I write this tears are streaming down my face. I am losing a part of myself and I am totally at a loss.

I'm sorry to drop this here, I just have no where else to vent it.

I'm not only worried about losing one of my best friends but my progress in my weight loss. I know and freely admit I am an emotional eater and it is becoming dangerously hard to fight it.

Last edited by therecoveringfatchic; 11-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.
therecoveringfatchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I am so so very sorry to hear about your dog. My dogs are children as well and I hate the thought of losing the as well. I hope that the medication kicks in so you can have a little more time with him, without him beeing so sick.

I really have no advice on how avoid emotionally eating during this time.

He's so cute and thank you for sharing his picture.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #3  
heavenleighstar

S/C/G: 332/320/220

Height: 5'4

My heart goes out to you I can tell this is heartbreaking for you. Wish u the best
skinnyki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I totally scoped out your blog the other day. What an amazing journey you are on.

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. The loss of a companion is devastating.

You asked for suggestions, and I will give them, for whatever they're worth. Maybe someone will say something that will resonate and be helpful. Also, know that this is a perfect place to vent.

First, know that your fears that this will derail your weight loss are legitimate and okay to have. It doesn't mean you loved your dog any less. (This one I mention because I have gotten caught up in the guilt cycle for caring about my weight loss goals in the midst of personal tragedy.) Go ahead and worry about it. Your grief is your own, and whatever helps you is what helps you.

Secondly, exercise is a tremendous de-stresser. I know you said you often don't really enjoy it, so this might not be your thing. But I would suggest you at least try to find an activity that helps you move through your grief. Even just walking until you are too exhausted to move might help. Maybe.

Third, find ways to deal with your grief. Notice, I didn't say "other," because for most, emotional eating doesn't really help deal with the actual grief. You are a phenomenal writer. Will journalling help? Writing a Marley and Me type novel? Writing all your loved ones to let them know how much they mean to you? Whatever works.

These are my suggestions. I just want to emphasize, though, that grief is intensely personal. Don't let your expectations of how you should feel at any moment define how you deal with things. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this right now.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

What a sweet boy. I got a knot in my stomach reading about him. Will keep both of you in my thoughts and hug my four extra today.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #6  

Thank you all for your support...

I do need to walk... I need to do something to forget if only for a few minutes. I may not write a book but, he may end up in my blog.

I'm sorry if I am short on my thanks or come across distant.. I am just sad and feeling a bit.... empty today.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I really am sorry about your dog. I have been through this. Had a faithful lab that could have been in the hall of fame of Loyalty I had her 12 years and she died of breast cancer last year. It was really rough and I still think of her all the time though I have another dog now. You will never forget them but the only thing to get over them will be another dog though I know you can't even go there now. Hugs to you.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #8  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

he's a very handsome fella, and i hope he's not in pain...just wanting to send some love and support
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

The only thing you can control in life are you own decisions. Take comfort in that by not emotionally eating.

Last edited by IanG; 11-01-2013 at 10:10 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #11  

I wanted to stop by for just a moment and give you my thanks. We made the decision to help Gunner pass on this morning. Our heart aches, but he is not in pain.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with all of you.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #13  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm so sorry for your loss.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry for your loss
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I am so very sorry for your loss, my dogs are my kids as well (I don't have any human children), I know your heart must be broken. I'm glad Gunner got to live his life with people who loved him as much as you and your husband obviously did, he was a lucky boy.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote