Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #106  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Rennie, I too need to have a low carb day.. but I love carbs so much.. It's a struggle!

VGibs, the Flex is the new one. It sits in a bracelet around your wrist and tracks your steps, calories burned, distance and active minutes. You can set a main goal for yourself (mine is 10k steps/day) and it tracks that on the bracelet, vibrating and doing a little light dance when you meet it. The new Flex will give you all the stats, which is way better and I'm jealous.

So, in my quest to learn to cook, I picked up a cooking school schedule from Dierbergs (a fancier supermarket chain in the midwest) but so much of the food is way too sophisticated for my husband and I. There is a class on soups that I thought might be good, but I don't think the soups are overly healthy. I've been searching for some videos online but so far, nothing really useful (they assume you know the basics - I do NOT.) Does anybody have any experience with cooking classes or videos online?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #107  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

Rebelle and love2b, thanks so much for the kind words last week about my off plan day. I got right back on track and haven't gone off course since then! I'm actually working from home for the next 2 weeks so without the distraction and exhaustion of traveling, I'm hoping to really see some progress!!

Rebelle: nice job on the bulk cooking. I wish I could get into that! I can barely cook for 1 meal lol.

VGibs: Happy birthday girl!! You can work that off- glad you enjoyed yourself and celebrated YOU!

PUPMOM5: way to go!!!! Please tell us more about fitbit. I'm also interested to learn.

love2b: wow, 3.5 miles! I did 3.1 yesterday (jogging mostly, 5 mins total of walking). My scale did not bounce down like I had hoped for!

As for me, like I mentioned, yesterday I jogged 3.1 miles!!!! Was so elated and proud of myself! The down side: I only lost .4 on the scale this morning, and I ate within my calories!!! AHHHHHHH. But watch, if I don't run today I'll have a whoosh. This body can be so frustrating! I'm also finishing TOM soooo I'm hoping once this devil goes away, I'll see more consistent losses.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #108  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

VGibs, I'm not sure how it works but the reviews and the people that I've talked to over the years here on 3FC love it. I didn't buy it before because it was more expensive I think. But at $99 and I think Walmart even carries it now, I'll give it a shot.

PUPMOM5 maybe we can plan one a week together and our goal for the rest of the year will be to stick to it for those weeks. Who knows if we do well we may implement more and lose better I learned how to cook sitting in the kitchen watching my great-grandmother when I was little. I don't measure anything unless it's a new recipe. I go by taste and I can usually tell what's in something I like just by the taste. My family hates the way I taste (try) new things

akelly I'm hoping to see better numbers at the end of this week also with TOM hopefully gone . Good job on jogging. I can do a brisk walk at 3.7 but when I get up to 4.2-4.4 I can only do 30 seconds and I feel overwhelmed. I don't know why I don't push harder. that your whoosh comes soon

yesterday I burned 514 calories but the scale was still up .6 to 182.2. My sodium was high yesterday and it's high today. The clam juice that I used in my crab soup is full of sodium which I didn't know until after I entered the ingredients on MFP and by then it was too late. I'm not going to throw it away (mom of five here, don't wanna waste food). I have two servings left.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #109  
Operation Less Fluffy

Hi everyone! It is a be-a-u-tiful day! I love these cooler temps and low humidity.

PupMom, Yay on the downward trend! You are going to make your Thanksgiving goal for sure!!! I hope you find what you are looking for in a cooking class. Sometimes the local high schools will have "community classes" that might have a basic cooking class.
I have been looking at the Jawbone UP lately. Ironically, I am really curious about the sleep function that the Up and FitBit Flex have. The nerd in me loves the technology and I also never feel like I get enough sleep so it would be interesting to track it along with the bonus of seeing how much movement I have each day. Unfortunately, the UP isn't PC compatible (yet?) and I like to be able to sync across phone, tablet and computer so that might keep me from putting it on my Christmas list.

Dolphin, thanks for the congrats! Believe me, it was tough stopping the daily weighing because I have been doing that for a couple of years, but once I got the scale out of my line of sight, it wasn't screaming at me every time I walked by. Then I kept reminding myself how discouraging it had been for me with its fluctuations. I'm going to be counting my calories for the rest of my life so I just didn't need that aggravation any more. Now, I pretend I am a big kid that is waiting on Christmas morning each month and hope that I won't be disappointed.

Rennie, 3.5 miles! Wow! Great job!!! I hope you are measuring. I'll keep the Sprite in mind next cycle. Mine is more of a pain issue than heavy flow, but I'll try anything. ETA: Just saw your new post and wanted to say that I'm sure that water weight will be gone soon and the scale will be nicer! Hang in there! 5 kids! You have your hands full.

Akelly, great going on getting back on track and sticking with it! 3.1 miles is awesome and jogging mostly. Fantastic! I bet those inches are melting away!!! Congrats on the .4 loss, too! All those losses add up and is way better than a gain.

I was a little above my calorie range yesterday, but due to eating so low the day before my 2-day average was within range. I keep thinking that if WW works banking points for the week then I should be able to bank calories for the week. As long as my daily calories are at a deficit and I keep my weekly average within range then it should all come out in the wash. Anyway, I'm going to try it out through the holidays and worse case scenario, I won't gain and won't feel too deprived.

Have a great healthy evening!

Last edited by Gemini6; 11-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #110  
Level 5 Vegan

Rennie, hey - that's a good idea! Maybe if they're planned days, we'd stick to them.

That's a good idea, rebelle! I'm going to look at the local community college. The FitBit's sleep function is interesting but it makes me sad, because I'm so restless and I need a lot of sleep. (Not FitBit's fault, just jarring to see the numbers.) The FitBit syncs to most smartphones as well as having a dongle to sync to the computer. There's also the Nike Fuelband that some people love. I don't know too much about it.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

I started tracking my calories and fitness last week. I've been a little dismayed at how many calories are in some of my favorite foods. I am low carbing so most days I do okay on the calories but those nuts... they get me.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #112  
Operation Less Fluffy

Morning everyone!

Donna, I hear you on the high calories in our favorite foods! I eat a good bit of protein and there are just so many boneless skinless chicken breasts you can eat. Nuts are high, but they are filling. Unfortunately they are so good that it is hard to stop at a serving and also expensive!

I was right in the middle of my calorie range yesterday and got tons of exercise. So, A+ day for me.

Have a fantastic day everyone!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #113  
Mum of 3G

S/C/G: 280/275.2/199

Height: 5'5"

My scaled didn't budge today and today is my official weigh in...I think I may wait till tomorrow. I looked up the fit bit online and it looks interesting. I would be mega worried about the sleep part though because I have a newborn.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #114  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

love2b - Sodium always gets me! and then when I try to drink water to flush it out, I'm stuck peeing every 15 mins! Viscious salt!!

rebelle - Great job on the stellar day!!! A+ days really make our moods and outlook so much better. It's tough to be perfect all day, but us ladies in here have it down

PUPMOM5 - Sleep is so essential to our well being and our weight loss journey. Sending good vibes your way that you get some great, long lasting, restful sleep! I hope you look like those NyQuil commercials where the person is knocked out cold!!!

lotsakids - YES!!! completely agree with you! I LOVE peanuts and cashews, but the calorie count is off the charts! I did low carb for a while and had great results! I've been having GI issues this year so I can't go low carb right now since I need to eat consistent high fiber foods and whole grains. Good luck!!

As for me...in the words of rebelle I had an A+ day! I did another 5k (3.1 miles) down by the river and it was an awesome day! I shaved 5 whole mins off of Monday's time. I'm going to try to go back today and see if I can slash anymore time off again! I'm down 1.2 pounds today. I know my body and I know a 2 pound whoosh is possible, so I'm just hanging in there and waiting patiently. 1.2 pounds is a mini whoosh so I will take it and keep trying!

Hope everyone has a fabulous HUMP DAY! (lol I assume everyone's offices and friends are just as annoying with that trend right now as mine are!)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #115  
Level 5 Vegan

akelly, maybe if I would get on the ball and run like you, it would make me bone-tired and I might get to look like those Nyquil people when I slept! That made me start my morning with a laugh!

Last edited by PUPMOM5; 11-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #116  
Operation Less Fluffy

VGibs Hang in there! I'm sure you'll see some movement soon.

Akelly Thanks! I agree that when I am on plan it does make me feel that sense of pride. I know that if I can string together enough of those feel good days that I will see rewards in one way or another on the health front. WE DO ROCK!!!
And CONGRATS to you on your A+ day, too and WOOHOO on the loss of 1.2! You are really kicking it on the exercise. Great job!!!

I'm still chugging along. Had an okay eating day yesterday at the high end of my calorie range, but still a nice deficit for the day. And I am starting to sleep better so that is always nice.

I hope everyone else is doing well this week!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #117  
~Rennie

Thanks rebelle LOL, one is grown and married. She just moved back to NC with her husband and will send me a text saying MOM!!! when she wants something I hope it's water weight the scale is up more today

PUPMOM5 let me know which day you want to do the low carb day. We can plan it out and try it next week if you want. Eggs, meat, cheese and fish I guess, huh? and what number do we want to set the limit? I'm excited about this since I know some one will be eating the same meals with me I don't get enough sleep either. I get up twice a night most nights to pee

Donna good job on tracking Don't worry about the nuts. I know that the fat in them are good fats so I just keep that in mind. I only eat a ¼ of a cup though. I try to make sure I count them out ahead of time. or I'll eat half the bag/can

VGibs, hoping the scale will be nice to us both

LOL akelly that is me with the water, drives me nuts. but I also know that it's the diabetes because if I have a low carb mostly protein day I don't pee as much. Good job on the A+ days and the 1.2lbs gone … I'm so trying to get back there

Well I was up 2.6lbs today to 185.8 I hadn't been to the gym in two days and I'm not sure if that was it or just poor eating. I'm so glad TOM is gone maybe I can focus on eating properly. I want to actually do a liquid fast for about two days and see how that works. Not sure if I can though. I did 3.26 miles today my pace was slower than normal. I just couldn't get up there and the gym is closed tomorrow. Maybe we can go to the Duke wall and walk. I wonder if it's lit in the evening?

Well gonna try to get to bed early tonight, I hope we all rest well tonight and have great numbers on the scale tomorrow, sending to ALL
Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #118  
~Rennie

PUPMOM5 I have a low carb day planned for tomorrow (nope didn't go to bed like I said ) The only problem is the calories are too too low (right now) hoping I can fit some more in. Calories 870/Carbs 16/Protein 74
Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #119  
Level 5 Vegan

Rennie, I'm in! What's a good carb goal to try to stay under? (I've been eating pretty low carb, for me, accidentally the past few days just from avoiding breads/pasta/rice/etc for calorie reasons. LOL)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #120  
~Rennie

Happy Friday Ladies,

I am down 3.4lbs of salt/water to 182.4 this morning. Also TOM is gone so that may have helped. I still won't be happy until I am back to my low of 180 point something. But at least I know I am on my way.

I hope you all have a great day, be back later

Oh PUPMOM5 so far I have 1050 calories, 18 carbs and 91 protein is what I have logged. I don't particularily care for the chicken sausage so I don't know if I will get the other half in or not
ETA: I'm not sure what would be a good goal. My son says that if we work out we must have carbs because that's where our fuel/energy comes from. I'll have to ask Mr. Research this evening

Last edited by love2b150; 11-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread