Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Happy New Year. May we all be out of the 290's soon!

ShelBl- so sorry about the loss of your dog. It is so hard to lose our pets and this time of year is extra brutal. I know how empty the house feels afterward.

Fiona W- way to go getting out of the 290's. Fantastic!!!

TheSecondHalf- hope you feel better soon. Yay for you just about out of the 290's.

CourtneyDaisey- you are also out of the 290's. Awesome.

You ladies give me hope. I have been riding the exercise bike faithfully but am still eating too much of the wrong things. Tomorrow will be better!
CeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

First, Happy New Year! May this one be even better than the last!

Next, I'd like to share something I read today. It hit me right in the gut: It's never too late to be what you might have been. I am going to hang on to that this year. I have wasted a lot of opportunities, most often because I was afraid to try or too worried about rocking the boat. When I read that, I had a moment! I can't rewrite or undo the past, but I can claim my future. So that's my moment of inspiration on Jan 1, 2014. I hope it helps someone else, too.

Last edited by TheSecondHalf; 01-02-2014 at 09:53 AM.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #123  

Today I am going to:

weigh myself (done, same)
log everything I eat
get on my bike

I have been really discouraged about my fitness level lately. Even overweight, I've always been fairly fit - I could walk for miles, do crunches, etc. I get pretty tired just walking the 1.3 mile loop I would normally walk with my daughter (IF IT WOULD EVER STOP STINKIN RAINING!!!!). Even the one mile Walk Away the Pounds video is a challenge. Forget using the light (only three pound) weights. And if I try to do a crunch, nothing happens. I am trying to keep myself motivated. I sometime feel like no one has ever been THIS unfit before. Five minutes on a recumbent bike shouldn't = jello legs!!!

So today I found this:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...2bc65be121.jpg

And that is pretty much where I am. I often feel so far gone and overweight that there is no way back to a normal healthy body, but I have to start somewhere.

Last edited by TheSecondHalf; 01-02-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

Good morning beautiful ladies. Happy New Year!

Thanks for all the kinds words and thoughts about DaisyDog. They are truly appreciated. (That's how the pharmacy had her pills labeled. Daisy Dog (last name). It quickly became our nickname for her. )

TheSecondHalf - I think the only time you slow down is when you get sick. I was a teensy bit happy to hear that you spent a day sleeping, though if you could get the rest without being sick I would be happier.

Fiona W and CourtneyDaisey - Way to go showing the rest of us up Congratulations!

CeeJay - Ride ride ride! Yours is a much healthier way to look at things. Much more positive thinking that you can have a better life and smaller, cute clothes than you can't have a pint of Ben & Jerry's at the end of a long day.

Ben, Jerry and I... we've been spending a lot of scandalous time together lately.

293.4 this morning. I was expecting to be at 300 again after two weeks of complete disregard for what I was putting in my mouth, so I'll take it and be happy about it.

TheSecondHalf sharing that link and reading the updates made me think of something that my division director said in our last meeting. I think that it applies to everyday life as well as work life. "You have to juggle a lot of balls. The trick is to know which are rubber and which are glass, so that you can figure out which you can let drop to bounce back and which you have to keep in the air."

My weight has been a rubber ball for too long. Always letting it drop to be put back into consideration later. I need to make it a glass ball, along with some other things that I've just been taking for granted there will be time to juggle later.

My marriage, my friends, my family, my weight. Glass. If they drop they shatter and will never be the same.

Everything else? Rubber. They can bounce into play when the glass balls are stable, and drop when I need to focus.

So there. Deep thoughts for your first Thursday of 2014. If anyone else has an inspirational bit to share, please do. I don't think any of us will ever say we have too much inspiration.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #125  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelBl View Post
"You have to juggle a lot of balls. The trick is to know which are rubber and which are glass, so that you can figure out which you can let drop to bounce back and which you have to keep in the air."

My weight has been a rubber ball for too long. Always letting it drop to be put back into consideration later. I need to make it a glass ball, along with some other things that I've just been taking for granted there will be time to juggle later.

My marriage, my friends, my family, my weight. Glass. If they drop they shatter and will never be the same.

Everything else? Rubber. They can bounce into play when the glass balls are stable, and drop when I need to focus.

I'm going to quote you and bold that because it's pretty impressive. A bit long for a tee shirt, but maybe I'll just think "glass ball" and that will remind me.

Last edited by TheSecondHalf; 01-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #126  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

'Love your glass ball statement, ShelBl, and thanks for putting it in boldface, TheSecondHalf. It is so true that if we don't value our weight loss very highly, it's not going to get done. And it's not selfish, either, because we can't give to others if we're not present and healthy. As I read recently in Brooke Castillo's If I Am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?, "Empty pitchers can't pour out love."

TheSecondHalf— Try not to be discouraged about your fitness: remember "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch." At our weight, we do have to crawl some times: that's better than going too fast and working out too hard.

I've had a lesson in that myself recently, because yesterday, for the first time in a very long time, I walked the mile and a quarter loop trail around the lake in our local park. Combined with the trail to get there and back, it was 1.5 miles that took me a full hour of hard cardio to complete. At my weight, and with my short legs, I know I was working harder than everyone else out there—including the people who were running!

So this morning I woke up, and man, I was sore! I complained to my husband that 1.5 miles should be not making my lower body and legs that miserable. I mean, we used to go backpacking, and I could carry a 30-pound pack for ten miles a day, up and down mountains. He said, "You're about 150 pounds overweight, aren't you? So what you did was like carrying two 75-pound bags of cement for a mile and a half." And I'm 58 years old. That was helpful: no wonder I need a day to recuperate!

I may even take another rest day tomorrow. I'll see how it goes. But soon, I'm going to be back on that trail again.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #127  

Thanks, Fiona. I know I need to just get out there and get started - as soon as I have a voice and stop wheezing. That's wonderful that you have a nice track to use. We have some nice trails around here and of course, I had planned to go on walks with my daughter and it rained every single day...and then we got sick. Hooray for Louisiana weather. I know we won't be sick forever but it's frustrating to actually WANT to go for a walk and not really be able to.

My motivation for the day: Start NOW before later becomes never.

It is easy to get discouraged because I have plans and being sick is thwarting my plans! But I've been overweight all my life and I'm either going to lose the weight or die fat. I really don't want to die fat. So if I can't exercise, I can at least meal plan and stick to my diet.

Happy first Friday of the Year!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #128  

Hi everyone!!!

Happy Weekend...

So excited I have been eating well and exercising for 3 days with no hitch-ups. It always amazes me how much better I feel when I eat healthy but at the same time, how hard it is to do it. I am feeling pretty motivated. Leaving next week for a 2 week visit home to see friends and family and I am determined that I will eat healthy no matter what. Worried about the seatbelt on the plane, but there is nothing I can do about it right now. Just eat healthy and one day I won't have to worry about it.

TheSecondHalf-hope you are feeling better soon and back outside walking. I like your thought: Start now before later becomes never. That is so true. I don't want to die fat either.

Fiona W- your walk around the lake sounds great- no matter how sore you were the next day- you did it and you can do it again. What your husband said about the cement bags hit home for me. Those cement bags are killing my ankles, feet, and knees. I know that the only thing I can do to try and stop the pain is lose weight.

ShelBl - loved your story about the rubber and glass balls. We need to make our health our number one priority.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #129  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I don't have anything special to report today, except for the fact that Kathryn Hansen, the author of Brain Over Binge, posted my story about using her technique to her blog: you can read it here, under "Tips for Beginners...Continued (Inspirational Testimony)". I think the technique I describe would be useful not just for binge eaters, but for anyone who struggles with cravings and urges to overeat. Enjoy!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #130  

Good day!

288 for the past 2 mornings. Thankful for that.

Fiona W- thanks for the link. What you wrote really makes sense to me. I am trying to step back from my thoughts about eating and watch them. Rather amazing to me how often thoughts of food enter my head. I don't know why it is surprising- I didn't get to 300 without a lot of dwelling on food. I am trying to stand back and tell myself- "there I go thinking about food again. Isn't that interesting? Think about something else." It is helping but is a challenge for me. I love your thoughts about the yappy dog. I know that mutt is in my head...

Have a good Sunday everyone!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

CeeJay you should be totally good on the plane. You're under where I am by a few pounds and I was able to use the regular belt just let out all the way. No asking for an extension yay!

Happy Sunday, lovlies. Just a fly by from work right now. Look at us, almost to 10 pages already!
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 293.6/290/200

Hey everybody. This is my first visit to this thread, but not my first run on 3FC. This time last year I jump started a weight loss adventure and lost around 30 lbs but unfortunately it creeped back on. I'm starting again, and unfortunately right back where I was last year. At least I didn't gain more.

As of yet, I haven't really made any changes in my diet or exercise but I'm back on 3FC so I think that this is a good place to start.

This June is my boyfriend and I's fifth anniversary and I'd like to be smaller by the time that comes around. I know it's a little unrealistic but I'd like to be half way to goal by then. I want to be able to look in the photos and not feel ashamed of how I look, and not have to worry about my size getting in the way.

We'll see how this goes!
kendrabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #133  

Welcome kendrabear. Glad to have you with us.

I am off for 2 weeks. Not sure if I will be able to check in while I am away, but hopefully can read posts from DH new fangled phone!

Take care!!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 320/250.4/160

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone. I just wanted to jump into this thread. I'm pretty much just calorie counting right now but I want to start getting exercise in as well. Hopefully my visit to the 290's will be a short one.
livcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #135  

Hello and welcome, new people! livcarter and kendrabear, we are so happy to have you with us!

Fiona, I am checking out that link, thanks!

CeeJay, enjoy your break! We want to hear all about it when you get back!

I turned 41 on Monday, you guys and EEK! What the actual heck? When did this happen??? Weather here has been awful and everyone is sick (lovely today, everyone on the mend, YAY!) so celebrations were quiet. My daughter turns 8 next week and that's just shocking. I feel like I just found out I was pregnant and now she's this big KID. Shocking!

I am starting WW in a few weeks. Around the 20th? It's all back to school and Girl Scout cookies and meetings for the next little while and then I can start back with the leader I like. I love WW. My goal this year is to just GO. Don't QUIT and just GO.

I have to go order cupcakes and cakes and such. I have tried sending fruit as their special snack for my daughter's birthday (school, GS meeting, etc) and she's like, Mom, really? I eat fruit every DAY. The POINT of birthdays is cupcakes!