Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I have a friend who is a pinterest junkie, and I think if I ever lose enough weight and any of my bigger clothes are still in good condition...I'm sure she'll help me mod some of them into new peices. For the most part I feel like they will all be ratty and will be time to get rid of them anyhow. (most of my jeans are at that point NOW where I'm only wearing them to get the last few usages out of them before I trash them...)

Honestly I seem to wear the same size from the 280lb zone to the 350lb zone at LEAST. So I have a ton of weight loss to do before this is a real concern of mine. I'm not too worried I like buying clothes, and never let the fact that i was gaining or losing weight stop me. I have a couple cute dresses that I MAY try to get taylored should that ever become necessary but mostly , a way to justify shopping? Heck yes!
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 298/195/160

Height: 5' 5"

I have to chime in and say get rid of them! Too easy to slack off when you know you have clothes that still fit. I hit 199 and nothing fit, had to replace everything even shoes! Expensive but fun! Glad for thrift stores!!
Hopegrowsagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #18  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

my clothes dont seem to hold much meaning for me....they never did....i like to be comfortably dressed, which is my main concern, and then somewhat appropriate for work, which is also a comfortable-clothing zone (work w/kids)

i went through my closet once in the couple years that i've been working on weight loss and only because we were rearranging to make space for other stuff in there....i bagged up everything that was too big and stuck it in the garage...i dont own alot of clothes and never have, i hate to shop and still do...having bigger clothes in my closet didn't mean anything to me and it doesn't bother me to have them sitting in the garage in bags now...

i went through the bags in the garage twice...once to find a hoodie that i wanted to use while running outside and once because i have a favorite grey sweater in there that i wanted for the "baggy" look...unfortunately it was SO BAGGY that it wasn't quite the look i wanted so i stuffed it back in there lol

i hate to throw away my clothes or even donate them because i feel like i'm "wasting" them and we grew up very remote and slightly poor so i hate to get rid of things

in fact i have a swimsuit in my dresser that i was wearing at around 240 pounds and i tried it on and it was laughably big, not even appropriate for the pool....but i still put it back in the drawer because somewhere down the road maybe i'll have a use for it besides actually wearing it again lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #19  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I've been all the way up to size 28 and pushing out of them and can comfortably slide into a juniors 15/13 now. I gave them all away to consignment shops like Plato's Closet for in store credit and shop there or other stores like it. I pretty much break even and now that I'm flying through sizes more quickly I'm getting more bang for my buck so to speak. Any professional styled clothing is donated to local organizations that help get disadvantaged women back in the work force.

If I have those baggy or to big clothes, it's way to easy for me to grab the next size up and mentally blame bloat, safer to have them gone
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I thought Plato's closet only took high end designer brands, or is that not true? I've been bagging stuff and putting it away, piling it up for the next time the charity truck drives through the neighborhood. But most of my stuff is lower end/discount store stuff because I refused to buy nice things very much - plus they don't really come in large sizes.

I have a game called "one and done." It's the rule for some of my stuff that's still NWT from the late 90's or early/mid 00's! I can't just pack that stuff up with tags - it's good mental cleansing to wear it once and say - done with you! Even if the people at work are counseling me about the need to buy new clothes because of my baggy but and too long pants. It's pretty funny but therapeutic BIG TIME! I get rid of it all bc it will never fit again!! This is a lifestyle now at 7+ months and not a temporary diet.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #21  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I can't afford to buy all new clothes right now, and I hope to lose a few more sizes, so I wear my big clothes as long as possible ... but once they no longer fit, despite all my tricks, I will get rid of them.

When I get new clothes though, I stick with styles that will still look good oversized and will be easy to alter when the time comes.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #22  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

As someone who in the past lost and regained 100 lbs, and before that 90, and before that 75, and before that 40.... I'm not keeping anything that's too big for me this time around. This is the LAST time I lose this weight. I also won't purchase stretchy pants for wearing outside of the gym... there's too much temptation there. I'm really enjoying wearing comfortable and fashionable clothes now. There's to much novelty in that to go back to my old ways. I think the fashion options might be my favorite part of achieving the weight loss right now.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #23  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I get rid of all of my clothes as they get too big, but I have very little space for clothes so I have to make it count. I do wish I had kept something from my biggest size for future reference.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #24  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I spent $$$$ on new clothes. Every size I went down, I bought new ones. I kept two sizes above current and donated/threw out the rest.

Not the best approach.

But that is what I did.

Some of the new clothes I bought, I never wore. They were simply too big by the time I got to try to wear them.

I am down 8 waist sizes in pants.

And 6 sizes in shirt collar sizes.

Underwear has gone from XXL to S.

So you can do the math.

I even lost a frickin' shoe size.

Last edited by IanG; 10-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #25  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

OMG old clothes are such an eye opener now! It's funny I came across this post cause while getting ready for work this morning, I accidentally pulled out a pair of 22W pants that I wore forever. I opened them up and couldn't believe how big they were. I tried them on without unbuttoning and they slid right off. I told myself I need to clean out the closet before winter starts and I guess I am going to hold on to the pants as a reminder of what I used to be!!
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

The first time around, I hung on to my fat clothes. This second time around, I've given them away as they become too big. I went from a size 18W to (my current size 12 pants and froma a 2x top to an XL after losing 50 pounds. I did keep my skinny clothes from 15+ years ago and find that my size 12's are still a bit tight. I think sizes are running slightly bigger now than they used to. Has anyone else experienced this?
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #27  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Ian, I would kill to lose a shoe size! Hasn't happened yet but my fingers are crossed.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #28  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Definitely yes, to giving away your new clothes. I got down to the 150s as size 6-8 and had a massive clearout (of my size 12-22 clothes), I think maybe I had a single pair of pyjamas left in maybe a size 16. I had a couple of huge shopping sprees to replenish my wardrobe and made sure I bought things that fit. I maintained in the 150s for about a year. In the past few months, I've gained back 20+ lbs and now all my clothes are super tight. I work in a somewhat professional setting so I have no choice but to dress up for work. The situation has become dire and I'm super motivated now to make the changes I need to get back to where I was at least. I don't have a choice, it's that or nudity.

I'm sooo sooo glad I gave away all my big clothes because if not, I'd just be picking them out of storage and putting them on and one day I'd wake up back in my biggest clothes. Now the tightness of my pants means that I'm mindful of the need to get back on plan.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #29  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I neatly boxed and labeled each clothing size as I dropped from a size 30 to a size 6. I kept them all for several years because in the past I had purged old clothes rather quickly only to find myself hanging my head in shame as I repurchased fat clothes.

I guess because I had been there/done that I didn't have the guts to get rid of things quickly. After being a maintainer for about 3 years I finally donated everything to a local charity. Then at around my 4 year anniversary things started going haywire. Stress, stress and more stress followed by a poor me attitude found me up around 30 pounds in no time at all. At the beginning of summer I found that none of my shorts fit and once again I headed to Wal-Mart for cheap ugly clothes with elastic waistband. I kept wearing them and pretending that no one noticed. Well, once I realized that fall/winter was about to hit and even my shirts/blouses were too tight I decided I was NOT going to buy more fat clothes. I think if I would still have that box of 8-10 clothes I would have just dug them out and remained in denial, but since I had nothing to fall back on I recommitted to my health and have lost about 1/2 of what I had gained. I only have one pair of jeans and one pair of slacks that will button at this point, but I'm confident that I'll get into the rest by the time winter hits.

So, yeah, I'm glad I got rid of the old clothes, or I wouldn't be posting here today and I'd probably be looking for my box of size 12-14 clothes by now!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #30  

Height: 5'2"

Toastedsmoke and Lori Bell both just confirmed what I thought; I suspected that if I keep the fat clothes then I just gain back into them. I figure that if I only have the smaller clothes then if I gain a few pounds I will notice it when my clothes are tighter and I can get it under control before going back up in clothing sizes.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote