80 pounds to shed... Trying not to feel dread!

• Hi everyone, I have just joined up with 3 FC. My first forum ever! I was inspired to join after reading so many of your stories...so motivating! A little about myself. I am 35 years old and live in Melbourne, Australia, with my partner R and our naughty, cheeky schnauzer, Fritz. I am not working at the moment, due to an illness that I am recovering from, but usually I am a journalist. That means I have plenty of time to get myself to the gym and get myself fit and healthy. It's a daunting mission, and one I hope you can all encourage me on. I have lost about 35 pounds so far, but at around 200 pounds, I have a long way to go. It's such a big number. Here in Australia, we use the metric system, so I am around 90 kg, down from 105. My initial goal is 64 kg, but I'd really like to get to 54 (119 pounds). I lost my first 7 kg in 6.5 months by cutting out sugar, but it kind of plateaued and I was losing motivation. So I decided to join Jenny Craig in July (I was so embarrassed telling my partner that I wanted to join- I felt like such a fat failure, but I decided that if I didnt make a stronger commitment, then I would just remain fat). I joined the gym at the same time. Since then, I have lost another 8 kg. which is just awesome . I just wish it would go quicker.... I know it took a long time to pile on, and will take a long time and a lot of hard work to get off, but don't you just wish sometimes that you could close your eyes and when you opened them it was six months later and your job was well underway?! It's not to be though! Hopefully soon, I will see some more noticeable changes in my body. My clothes feel a bit looser, but nothing drastic. I can't wait for the day that my size 20 (gulp!) pants just slip off me!
    Anyway, thanks for reading. I have found you all so inspiring, so I hope I learn a lot from joining this forum.
    Oh, and one early question... How do I get the little weight loss progress bar down the bottom of my posts? Those things look great!
  • Welcome and good luck. Sounds like you are on your way to losing! Great job so far. My advice to you is to be kind to yourself. You wouldn't call your friend a fat failure so don't say those things to yourself. Take it one day at a time and don't give up...even when set backs happen.

Also, signature is in your user CP. Play around in their and you'll see ticker info and signature info.

And post often!!
  • Thanks so much, looks like you are doing an absolutely amazing job too.
  • Welcome Lyndality!! You have done a fantastic job since you started! I started my journey in March and I'm down almost 60 pounds. What has worked for me since I still have 90 pounds to go is to take it in small goals. I have several mini goals. For example my next two are to finally be only obese not morbidly obese. That's about 2 pounds away!! Then 40% of my total weight to lose is also about 2 pounds away. I've got others like halfway to goal weight, 75 pounds down etc. It really has helped me not see the whole 146 pounds that I needed to lose. Best of luck, I'm excited to see your progress!
  • Welcome! You are definitely well on your way! I struggle with wanting the weight gone faster.. I really have to make myself keep the mindset that a loss is a loss and a step in the right direction.
  • Welcome and congrats! Your story is quite motivating an it will be fun to be part of your journey.

As for your question: you don't get to have the ticker until you have posted 20 times and been here at least 20 days ... I've still got four days before I can have mine.
  • Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
  • Nah. You don't want to wake up and just have it be all gone. If that were the case you wouldn't have learned new eating and exercising habits, which is a huge part of our journey. But, yeah, I so totally get wishing it were faster.