3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Layer of fat around ankles? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/286873-layer-fat-around-ankles.html)

Thinsicle 08-29-2013 01:52 AM

Layer of fat around ankles?

Hi everyone,

I've been a member for a long time but have never posted before. Sad to say that once upon a time I could have been a part of the 50lb club, but now that my weight is in the mid-200's, I find myself facing the not-so-easy task of trying to lose 100+ lbs.

The reason for my post is that over the past couple years, I have noticed my ankles changing shape. At first, I thought it was standard swelling, or edema, due to excess water. I tried cutting out salt, wearing support stockings, elevating my feet, and taking supplements to assist with water retention & venous insufficiency, but nothing helped. Then my doctor told me it's not edema as there's no pitting and my feet are not affected at all, only around my ankles. Although I wanted more answers, he seemed uninterested and shrugged it off, saying it's probably attributed to my weight. When I look at them it looks almost as if there's an ankle weight the same color as my skin wrapped around my ankle (if that makes sense). There's a definite difference in fat distribution between the bottom of my ankle and the start of my foot on either side.

I have finally decided to take control of my body and to start eating better and working out, but I'm terrified that my ankles won't change back even if I do lose the weight. This has depressed me immensely and I haven't worn shorts/skirts/capris in years because of it. The rare times my ankles are ever exposed I am often asked by others why my ankles are so big and why are they swollen? Followed by well-meaning individuals who try to offer advice to "cut out sodium, etc."

Has anyone ever experienced this? If so (and if you have lost the weight or begun losing), did you notice a change in your "ankle fat"? I'm still fairly young (35) and I would hate to think that even if I lost the weight I'll never have decent looking legs again because of this. :(

HelloNurse 08-29-2013 07:44 AM

When you have extra weight, you get fat everywhere. My ankles are noticeably narrower already after a 20 pound loss. You will find yourself losing weight in all sorts of interesting places.

Thinsicle 08-29-2013 10:48 PM

Thank you for replying. That's encouraging to hear yours have begun getting slimmer.

Once upon a time I actually had pretty legs and hope my ugly ankles won't prevent me from attaining that again!

Mori M 08-29-2013 11:20 PM

ah, the dreaded cankles. I have thick calves and have never been able to wear knee socks (or even regular socks that aren't ankle length). That's one of my mini goals on this weight loss journey, to be able to wear socks without them stretching and cutting off circulation.