Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:02 PM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default My "DING" Moment

Something's working. And its making me crazy trying to figure out WHAT it is. I've given it a lot of thought - and I really think its because this time I finally feel like there are people behind me. I feel like Greg DOES love me no matter what, but also that he UNDERSTANDS, and he put some time and effort into figuring out and telling me what he thinks is the only thing that's going to work for me. I think its also that my dad gave me the slap to the head that I needed to finally let a lot of baggage that was weighing me down go. I think that divying up the chores around the house has eased a lot of the pressure I was under - and also realizing that getting up at 6:30 is NOT GOING TO KILL ME. (But that one WAS hard.) I think its just wanting to kick this thing, and prove TO MYSELF that I CAN DO THIS, and that I CAN FINISH SOMETHING. I think its doing the pedometer thing - I want that sucker to have as many steps on it as humanly possible!! I think its realizing that I know how to do this, I just have to DO IT, and that doing it halfway is only going to get halfway results.

I don't want to be super skinny, I don't want to wear single digit clothing - I just want to be rid of the bat wings on my back - and my huge stomach - and to be able to finish that 20 mile Walk For Hunger if I feel so inclined.

Now to bottle this feeling and thoughts up for future use.

What is your ding moment??? What thoughts and ideas are you using to keep yourself going?? let's put them here to reference in the future. Please feel free if you hear me moaning and groaning to direct my attention BACK to this thread
Old 06-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #2  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

That's great Beth Anne! So happy for you! The "ding" or "click" I think is different for each of us. When we make that mind / body connection.

For me I had to realize that my body and physical health is as important as mental and emotional health. That it DOES matter if I mistreat my body, and it eventually would have caught up with me and then it might have been too late.

I got tired of just dreaming with no action. Of wistfully watching Meg Ryan on the movie screen, thinking "if only I could have a figure like that. . ." Of seeing all the cute little clothes I've wanted to wear all my life.

I had to realize that I would either stay heavy and just have mental dreams, or kick it up a notch and make my dreams a reality. To "Live the life I've always dreamed of."

And for me on a very personal level, and I know you and I have this in common, it's a spiritual thing now. God is helping me, and it's made all the difference. Every time I make a right choice, I know where the strength is coming from. Blessings to you on your journey,Beth Anne!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:46 PM   #3  

Default Good for you!

I understand what you are saying about not wanting to be super skinny. I don't want that either. For one thing, I know it would not be maintainable for me. I am a big girl and I like to eat so I would never be petite (5'8") but I can be smaller and I can be healthier and that is my goal. A size 12 or 14 (they consider that a 'plus' size) would be heaven for me.

I understand everything you said except one thing....What are 'bat wings'? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:49 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have bat wings!!! Oooh, oooh, me, me!!!!!

When I move my arms out to the sides, palms facing you, my upper arm droops, making it look like I have bat wings.

I'm not sure what my DING moment was. I've been losing slowly & steadily. I know a big motivator for me has been my stepsister's wedding.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #5  

A quick bat wings story- Since I've been losing weight and lifting weights, parts of my body are becoming more toned, but that seems to make the fat even more noticable. My bat wings are huge. The other day I lifted my arm and my son asked me what that was hanging down from my arm. I told him that it was my fat just hanging there. He looked at me for a minute and then said, "No mom, I think it's just that your muscle has gotten so big that it just fell down."

I like the way this kids thinks!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #6  

LOL! The child is wonderful!! Thanks for the explanations. Now that I know what they are I recognize my own!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:55 PM   #7  
Losing Again!

I think my "ding" moment must have been over Thanksgiving last year. Two weekends in a row (adult child of divorced parents--means double holidays), I ate to the point that I actually hurt, felt like my skin was stretched to the point that it was going to burst open. You'd think one time feeling that would have been enough, but nope, not for me.

That's when I realized I needed to do something. So between then and Christmas, I tried to figure out something that would work that I could do on my own, and did, with little success.

Then like most things that work out for me, on a whim I decided to check online to see when the WW meetings were in my area. And low and behold, there was one about 30 minutes later. so off I went, and I'm never looking back.

The other piece that I really believe in is that my grandma always used to comment about my weight, and I hated it, dreaded going to see her because of it, and now she's gone, and I wish so badly that she could see the progress I'm making and be proud of it.

BethAnne...good topic, we all need to be reminded of these moments, they can relight the fire in us when it starts to die down.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

****, I haven't had my "ding" moment yet. I'm struggling.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i haven't dinged either. at least i'm doing well. =)
Old 06-20-2003, 02:09 PM   #10  

I didnt have a ding moment i think i just got tired of being sick and tired. I have had other major accomplishments in my life that have helped. I gave birth to my second child all natural no drugs at all and about 6 weeks later i gave up smoking. That was 3 almost 4 years ago and i feel if i can do those i can do anything. I think anyone has to reach a point in there life when they are ready to do things like this. It was the same with smoking, I tried to quit before i was ready and failed. Once i was ready it wasnt all that bad.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #11  

Bethanne,

I am so glad for you that you found your motivation-that's great!!!

Mine was seeing our Xmas pictures. Why is it that you can look at yourself in the mirror-okay, I didn't look in the mirror that much, and fool yourself. But seeing those Xmas pictures did me in. Especially my face-no cheekbones or jawline visible, two, possibly three chins. I couldn't take it anymore, and couldn't believe I let myself go so far. I am proud to say I have cheekbones again, and my double chin is almost gone!

Anyone else have these "photo experiences?"

Sherry
Old 06-21-2003, 11:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, I never allowed anyone to take photos so I never had that photo experience! Oh, I take that back. My son's wedding in 2000--I had to have photos taken then, and it was awful. Think I'll get rid of that dress right away.

So glad you had a "ding" moment, Beth Anne. Sounds like a bunch of stuff gelled for you all at once--it's great!

Moving to a new place motivated me, plus the fact that I couldn't walk around this hilly area without getting easily winded. That bugged the heck out of me. Don't know if it was a "ding" moment, but it got me to Weight Watchers.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #13  
Losin It For GOOD!

Well - I guess I used the wrong term. My arms don't sag as much as they used to, but I have these two huge rolls of fat right under my shoulder blades - they're gross.

I'm glad to hear everyone else's ding moments- I think sometimes it helps to hear what motivates other people too - because it can motivate you as well
Old 06-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #14  
Big Loser Wannabe

For me it was getting a new job, and realizing that my shirt HAD to be tucked in, and I realized how unhappy I had been, my sis is also getting married, so I wanted to lose weight for her wedding. I just decided to try my hardest, and I have done pretty great ( I wont comment on last nights eating though, )

I was just tired of shopping in the plus size clothing, and trying things on and not being happy with the way I look.

I WANT TO SHOP AT THE REGULAR STORES, and pay lower prices too!!
Old 06-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #15  

Quote:
Anyone else have these "photo experiences?"
TOTALLY. I look in the mirror and think "oh, you could lose some, but you're not THAT bad looking", then I see a picture and am horrified! I look like a meatball with a moon head!

I have a few really nice wedding pictures...and a few...not so nice. The cake cutting picture is HORRID...talk about bat wing arms! UGH.

As for my "ding" moment...still waiting to ding, but in the meantime, I'm staying with it and doing well.

Colleen
240/234/170
Closed Thread