3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How to dress ???? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/285624-how-dress.html)

time2lose 08-01-2013 08:18 AM

How to dress ????

For many years (really decades) I knew what clothes to buy, black pants, black shell, and then a jacket or shirt to go over the black shell. My goal was to get something that covered me, did not bind me, and did not call attention to me. The darker the clothes the better. I just felt lucky finding anything that was not big flowers.

Now, since I am smaller and my old clothes are practically falling off of me, my daughter tells me that I should buy something different. I have bought a few tops that are simply shirts. Not wearing the shell is a big deal. :) But other than that, I don't have a clue what to wear.

I have started watching other people trying to decide what I like. I don't even know what types or styles of clothing that I like.

Anyone else like this? Does everyone else know exactly what clothes to buy? Anyone willing to share their experiences?

madelinerose94 08-01-2013 08:30 AM

I've had to buy new clothes since losing weight. I was exactly like you - I wore black clothes and tried to hide behind layers, even in summer. But as this weight loss journey has continued I have bought clothes in lighter colours, like creams, blues and even red. It was quite scary. But I think you just have to do what is best for you, don't copy what other people wear (you can use them as inspiration), just wear what makes you look in the mirror and say 'damn, I look beautiful'. That's when you'll feel the most comfortable and confident :)

betsy2013 08-01-2013 10:54 AM

Wish I could tell you that I have great answers for you, but I'm struggling with the clothes stuff, too. I'm still too big to get things at stores so I still catalog shop a lot, but can't figure out what size I am now. Oh well, that's a good problem.

I just googled "shopping for clothes after losing weight" and scads of articles came up. Some of them appear to address just the issue you're talking about. You might read a few of those and see if they have any suggestions for places to find some help.

time2lose 08-01-2013 10:57 AM

Betsy, thank you for the suggestions. It makes me feel better just knowing that others struggle with the same issues that I do.

Hopegrowsagain 08-01-2013 12:48 PM

You might really enjoy this part of the journey. I have changed what I like to buy and it has been fun. Enjoy the fact that you need new things!

PreciousMissy 08-01-2013 12:57 PM

My suggestion is to pick out a clothing store, not a big box store that sells appliances or motor oil, and ask for help!

I use to work in a store that sold only clothing and accessories. During our down time we would create outfits for fun. If it's slow, ask the sales associates. It will help break up the monotony of their day ;).

Also, take note of the outfits the mannequins are dressed in and try on the same combination. Plus, it might inspire you to mix and match different things.

Have fun with it!

Garnet2727 08-01-2013 01:09 PM

I know this is going to sound odd, but something I've been doing lately is paying attention to what my face does when I look at a piece of clothing. If I'm smiling, even slightly, I go try that sucker on! If I'm frowning or blank-faced, I leave it be.

luckymommy 08-01-2013 01:24 PM

I personally like long dresses that cinch at the waist (since that's my smallest part). Once you put on a dress, your'e done! Nothing to think about.

Maybe you can start out by buying a long dress in black? That way, you can add accessories to brighten it up. Once you're used to it, you can move on to colorful dresses.

Sorry to push the dresses. They're not for everyone, but they work well for my pear shape. I noticed ladies who are apple shaped look great wearing leggings with looser fitting v-neck tops.

I guess what I"m trying to say is that it's good to figure out what body type you have and then search (online) which clothing options are most flattering for your shape.

Happy shopping!

Desiderata 08-01-2013 01:31 PM

I had a lot of fun on a shopping trip recently. I went in planning to spend a ton of time trying things on, but not necessarily buy anything. I grabbed stuff I was drawn to, but I also went out of my way to grab things that I'd never usually pick up. And then I tried them on. Most of the time, sure, I still didn't like it -- but it was really eye-opening to try on different cuts and designs that I'd written off for years, and just keep an open mind as to how they looked on my slimmer body.

It was really fun and enlightening! And a big departure from past shopping trips (aren't they so often a traumatic thing?). I might suggest a similar expedition. If you can really eliminate any expectations and just see it as time to learn and gauge new things for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

amandie 08-01-2013 02:13 PM

First off, congrats on your awesome progress!!!

Luckymommy has a lot of good points in her post re: figuring out your body shape . The one thing I like about dresses is that a lot of them are easy to take in as you lose so it can last a bit longer. They are so easy to "jazz" up with a pair of earrings, necklace and/or a bracelet and you could wear any cardigan of some type if you're feeling shy about your arms (it also conceals my backfat from bras especially strapless ones sometimes I get with the dresses.)

It took me a while to figure out what I preferred in terms of clothing. I had to get rid of the old clothes I held onto from HS/college since I did not like the style or the cut anymore so I was basically going in blind. It takes time and patience to figure out what you like by trying a lot of items including some that you normally would not try. I have asked a few sales associates for their opinions if I didn't have anyone around or I have taken a few pictures then sent them to BF/close friends/fam for opinions/feedback. GL!!!

Mozzy 08-01-2013 02:29 PM

I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of girl... So no advice here sorry

time2lose 08-01-2013 02:50 PM

Mozzy, actually last weekend I bought a pair of jeans. I have not worn jeans in about 35 years. :)

Underwater 08-01-2013 03:58 PM

If you can afford it, Nordstom's has sales people that will help exactly with this.

If you don't want to spend that much, and can shop on your own, I suggest Kohls.

I think the right jeans are slimming on almost everyone, so if you are used to black pants try dark wash jeans, but don't be upset if it is a challenge to find the right fit. I wear Old Navy Sweetheart cut jeans now, but I wore Flirt and Dreamer cuts as I was losing weight because my body shape was always changing. The jeans are $20-$30 so not a huge investment if you shrink out of them.

Underwater 08-01-2013 03:59 PM

Also I recently bought 2 of these dresses- but be careful, they run really big. I'm a size 10 in most stores but I fit into a SMALL. Plus, you can order online and return at Sears, so you don't have to ship them back if you don't want to keep them!

http://www.landsend.com/products/wom...ress/id_234859

Couch 08-01-2013 09:08 PM

Thrift stores can be fun, I did a lot of shopping there when I was losing weight the first time. They have a wider range of clothing and sizes than normal stores, and are much less confronting. I didn't feel as judged as I would in a normal store, especially when I was just getting to the point of leaving the plus sizes. Going to 'normal' stores was scary, as I didn't want to go in only to discover that I was too big for the largest size.

Also everything is cheaper, so I can take more risks. If it turns out that I don't wear something, I can always donate it back.