Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #16  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Aclai4067 is so right, one day you know that "enough is enough, this is the last time I am going to do this". I had that moment in June and it just feels different this time. It has not been difficult, I am happy and I am not beating myself up over a small loss per week as I would have in the past. YOU can do this, we all can, we just need to make good health a priority in our lives.
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #17  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

We've all been there to varying degrees. I know myself, I'd gone on a 100 diets, had success, even did this "I got this" victory dance LOL and had it all come crashing down on me. My magic number was 40. I never lost more than 40 lbs., but ALWAYS GAINED more than 40 back. That's how I got to 323 lbs.

Then one day, as I was planning my next "for sure" diet -- for sure, because it was on the Best Seller list! of course it would work, people are talking about it!!! -- it hit me like a ton of bricks. HOW COULD ANYTHING EVER CHANGE IF I STAYED THE SAME???

Like it or not, there's SOMETHING different about people 10 pounds overweight, versus most of us at 100+ pounds overweight. Something wired in our brains, something I just couldn't get to myself no matter how many times I tried.

So, I went to see someone. It wasn't particularly scary, it was kind of fun to talk about myself LOL Nothing too shocking was unearthed, no particular trauma, just a pattern of spoiling and overindulgence. I got a freakin GRIP on my spoiled rotten inner child, beat her into submission and LEARNED TOOLS to deal with her that I never had before.

THAT was what was different. NOT the stupid diet plan. MY BRAIN WAS DIFFERENT.

We all do it - the same things over and over and over again and seem shocked by the same failure over and over again when we've really done nothing to stop the train from derailing. Whether it's therapy or something else I say change your MIND and you'll change your BODY
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #18  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
From Trazey34 Like it or not, there's SOMETHING different about people 10 pounds overweight, versus most of us at 100+ pounds overweight. Something wired in our brains, something I just couldn't get to myself no matter how many times I tried. .........
We all do it - the same things over and over and over again and seem shocked by the same failure over and over again when we've really done nothing to stop the train from derailing. Whether it's therapy or something else I say change your MIND and you'll change your BODY
Well said! I think that Trazey has the right idea!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #19  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

My big moment was realizing I had to change my mindset completely and focus on living healthier rather than losing weight at all cost.

Losing weight at all cost is draining and particularly depressing, especially when things don't go exactly as planned. It makes us feel like a failure when we don't reach our goals, and we often don't realize how unattainable they might be. I'm not saying that you can't, for example, set a goal to lose one pound every week, but if you get your heart set on that and end up gaining even just once, it might be enough to make you give up. And the occasional gain sometimes just happens, no matter how perfectly on-plan we might be, so no need to beat yourself up over it, give up, and be forced to start all over again.

I focus on different goals and let the weight take a backseat to them. I can work hard to be at my healthiest just for today, right? I may not be able to run a marathon yet but I can walk, I can swim, I can even do stretches in my chair. I can pass up the donuts for breakfast and make a healthy smoothie instead (which choice is going to help me power through my day?). I can remind myself of how crappy eating too big of a lunch makes me feel so I can focus on being satisfied with a reasonable portion. If I'm hitting a restaurant for dinner? Instead of throwing in the towel and diving into that 1,000 calorie appetizer, I can look up the nutrition info on my phone and make a reasonable choice for my meal.

I want to feel better. I don't want to be tired all the time. And I believe shifting my focus to health rather than weight loss is the key to all of that. And how did I do today? Was it an impossible task? What did I do well on and what needs work? You know, I bet I can do even better tomorrow.

And if I gain for the week? Oh well. It may be annoying but that just means I need to keep on trying. And if you keep on trying, there's never a need to start over.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #20  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfaye View Post
I'm recently starting over myself for what seems like the nth time and honestly the only way I can handle it is to focus on today. I want to eat within my calorie limit today and that is it.
THIS!

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone for your replies.

Funny thing....writing that post was what I needed. I needed to express that frustration with myself.
Right after I wrote it, I downloaded the myfitnesspal app on my ipod and have been on the wagon. Today is day 4. Great.
Day 1 is always the hardest.

I have said all the things you've said to me, in support of others here, over the years.
Every single time...I have said "it feels different this time" LOL!

Tracey...40 pounds! Me too.

I get down there...start to feel fantastic...and away it floats. The desperation is gone and I lose focus.

Anyway...here I am, day 4. Grateful!
The battery in my scale is dead. I don't know what I weigh right now...but I'm guessing dangerously close to 300.
I'm tempted to leave it dead. I have always been a scale obsessor, and when I see those awesome first few months numbers start to normalize, I feel disappointed in myself.
Maybe I'll try for once to leave it alone and just focus on how I feel instead.
My highest was 270. I know I'm there or above...

For now, I'm keeping it simple. Stay under budget. Don't obsess. That's it.

Feeling about 2000 times better than 4 days ago...LOL!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 232/226/150ish

Height: 5ft 3in.

I know what you mean. I'm constantly "starting over". He'll, I'm starting over again right now, as of today. It seems like a never ending struggle. We need to look at ourselves and find out WHY we fall off track and try to remedy that. Fore, it's because I don't think I deserve to be thin and happy the way I once was. I have to learn to change mind set. Try looking at your frame of mind.
Shyleia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 381/262/199

Height: 5'2"

One foot in front of the other...tip toe if you have to but never stop. You don't fail unless you give up completely. :-)

I have lost 100 lbs before just to regain it. This time is different and I can say it and mean it. Mindset is a huge part of it and I know I'm where I need to be and on a path I want to be on.

I was the queen of starting tomorrow, after this birthday or that holiday. I'm not even sure what the switch was this time. I hadn't planned it oddly enough. My husband had been eating low carb over a year before I started and then I joined him. The best choice I ever made. Yes, I have jumped off the wagon (not fallen lol). Once for Wendy's twice in one day and the other time was when we were gone on holidays. Even if you jump or fall off it will still be right there waiting for you to get right back on.

This community is an amazing place to come for information and support. (even thou I tend to lurk more often than not. I'm here every day just reading and getting inspired.)

Linda - You're on day 4. That is wonderful and you can do this :-)
RoxieK is offline   Reply With Quote