Would ya rather....

• I see recipes everywhere that replace virtually every ingredient in a "bad" food to make it a "good' food. I've never assigned virtue or villainy to inanimate objects so I don't get that LOL but anyway...

would you rather eat MORE of something completely and utter altered from the original

or would you rather eat LESS or something truly decadent, mouth-watering and savour the heck out of it?
  • I guess it depends on what it is. Some things are worth it to me to have the real thing, but sometimes the healthy substitute is nearly as good. A lot of the recipes I have seem really difficult and sometimes don't turn out to taste so good as far as baking low carb breads and sweets. I have a hard time with controlling portions, so it's best for me to just stick to foods that are on my plan. I'm not one of those people who can eat just one chips ahoy or oreo cookie and be satisfied. At this point I just have to stay away completely. Hopefully by the time I reach a maintenance weight I will be able to enjoy a little something here and there and not go overboard. I still have a long way to go.
  • More of a plan friendly food, with a handful of rare exceptions.
  • Depends on what it is. I think sugar sets me off, so I stay away from it. The more I eat, the more I want! I find a lot of artificially sweetened things taste just as good. Fruit can be a big treat if your taste buds are desensitized to "real" sugar. Plus, I don't think I've ever eaten just one cookie - come to think of it, if I have a cake or pie in my house, I'll have a second slice with my coffee if I want it. See? Dangerous.
  • Give me less of the decadent!!!
  • Quanity over quality for me. I love love love to eat and I am not fussy!!
  • -
  • Quality. But, I've always been like this. I've always been picky and will pay a little extra for something that is made well and I'll go with homemade rather than store bought all of the time. For me, it's all about taste and texture. Quantity has never been an issue.
  • Quality for me...I can't stand artificial sweeteners so I just don't eat any sweets except on the rare occasion where I indulge in some delicious real chocolate.

I agree with sontaikle though - if I weigh my options carefully I'm almost always going to choose the eggs whites, grapefruit, and whole wheat toast over the double chocolate chunk muffin.

For me I guess I have to decide if it's really worth it in the end - and most of the time it isn't.
  • It depends. Out of curiousity, I'd probably make the "healthier" version of my favorite comfort foods just to see what the difference is at least once. I usually get a 50-50 chance of liking it enough to make it a once in a while repeat or even a staple substitution, but there are times when I really, really want that childhood favorite just the way I remember it, free of alterations. In those cases, I'd definitely want the real deal, just less of it.
  • I'm with the "depends on the food" answer. I can easily eat more of a leaner meat, but I'd rather have less full-fat cheese than more of the chalky, tasteless low-fat cheese. I'd rather have less butter than more margarine.
  • I'd rather eat less of the sinful, decadent food than try to eat a meal that has been "healthified". For example, ravioli at a nice Italian place. I saw a video on YouTube where the ravioli was made with strips of zucchini and large amounts of cottage cheese to substitute for the other kinds. It looked nice and all but no way would that ever satisfy my craving for something pasta-ish covered in cheese and marinara.

Fortunately for me, I don't crave sugary stuff much but, as with the pasta, when I do, only real full-fat ice cream will do and usually a 1/2 cup serving is enough to satisfy me for days if not weeks.

Now mashed potatoes is a different matter. I could eat that stuff everyday, especially the instant stuff.