does being fat make u THIS tired, and do u get energy back when u lose it?

• Ok, so this may be a total duh question, but I have just been feeling SO dang tired of late. I am in my once-again attempt to lose weight so still on the high end. I've noticed how tired I always seem to feel. I have a pretty sedentary job but I feel like I am tired at the drop of a hat these days and it is so annoying! I am wondering if this could be another gift that being overweight brings. Or could it be the heat/ (its 100 degrees here!) Or just getting older?
    I am hoping that losing weight gives me some of my energy back!!
  • When I feel that absolutely tired, it's usually because my iron levels are low. Have you ever been checked? Sorry to say that even after losing the weight, I still have this problem from time to time...
  • I found that the more regular exercise I got, the more energy I'd have at the end of the day. So maybe if you walk for 30 minutes a day, you'll see a difference? Worth a try.
  • I used to wake up tired at 280lbs but not in the 220s. I had a lot more energy then. I'd try what the other members suggest: test the iron and exercise.

Do you snore? If so, it could also be sleep apnea. I was tested for that but they found nothing.
  • I haven't lost a lot of weight yet but since changing my eating habits, making sure I get a good night's sleep and exercising every day I have so much more energy. I no longer feel sluggish and tired all the time. So I think it's less about losing weight and more about being healthy and exercising.
  • It could be the weight, or it could be something else. For myself, I (and my doctor) assumed my fatigue and joint pain was due to my weight and arthritis caused by my weight. Turned out to be fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, an autoimmune disease, arthritis, and my weight.

What I found most helpful for the fatigue, roughly in order of importance, with most important first

Getting enough sleep
    Eating lowish to moderate carb (not too low, with lots of veggies and some fruit
    Exercising (gradually working up to more and more)
    Vitamin Supplement: Vitamin D, folic acid, fish oil, multivitamin
    Losing weight

Losing weight is at the bottom of the list, but that doesn't mean it wasn't very helpful
    Losing weight was very helpful, there were just four other things that helped more. I wouldn't give up any of them.

Your list of fatigue-fighting strategies may be different than mine.

If you haven't had a physical within the last six months, I'd suggest you start there.
  • I understand how you feel, I know part of it is my weight and the heat (90+ degree midwestern weather isn't exactly motivating me to take a walk after dinner), but I have low iron...not anemic...but it runs a little on the low side so I try to eat some foods that are higher in iron.

If you are having trouble sleeping, I know my problem was I was wired on caffeine all day everyday so I just drink one cup of coffee in the morning now and I've found I've been sleeping a lot better.

And if you have just started and if you radically changed your diet your body might not have adjusted to the changes. I know I was really lethargic the first couple of weeks because I cut out most of the carbs and fat I had been eating and my body was a little confused on how to process the new foods I was eating.

Like what kaplods said - if you haven't recently had a physical, that is a good place to start!
  • thank you for all the replies ladies - I was truly stumped with this..
    but mystery has been solved...
    I was shocked to learn.. that I am pregnant! :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

I can't even begin to describe what a shock this is... since this was completely unexpected, and we needed a little help with the two we have. To suddenly be faced with this surprise.. and not to mention when I just started again to be serious to lose this weight.. all I've been able to do so far.. is be in shock.

not sure what to even start doing or thinking from here.... for now just still trying to believe it..
  • Have to second the sleep apena. My wife is a little under your height but about 40lbs lighter than your current and she has sleep apena. Definitely get a sleep test as soon as you can.

Did not see your above post. Congrats! I'd still check out the sleep apnea though.
  • Well I was going to say as you improve your diet your energy levels go up, but now I will say Congratulations ! All the best to you !!!