I Can't Do This But I Can Do That

• I think all of us have run up against something that we really can't/shouldn't do. I hoping this thread will be a way to talk about what we can't do (no judgement, please!) and figure out what we can do instead.

I'll start.

I can't run. I can't run because I have arthritis in both of my knees (the right one being the worst). I have deformed feet (unique is how my doctor described them) and as a result, my ankles are a mess. Much of the damage to my feet and ankles is irreparable. Running would cause even more damage and also hasten me towards the knee replacements I will eventually have to have.

So, I can't run. But I can walk (some, gotta be careful), ride my recumbent stationary bike and swim.

Next?
  • I can't lift weights right now because I had surgery on my hand (I also can't really get my heart rate up too much because my stupid hand starts throbbing)...but I can/should be walking...but I haven't really been doing that. This is a great reminder for all of us to focus on what we can be doing instead of focusing on what we can't.
  • Mine is a complete mix of both of your posts, haha.

I cannot run. Or do cardio for that matter. I can walk for a long while, but endurance cardio; elliptical, running, jogging, spinning, rollerblading. All of that is hard for me. I can ride a bike, but not for working out, only leisurely.

I CAN however, lift weights. And lift them heavy. That is why I'm so glad I've found a heavy weight program and can benefit from it. Cardio will never be my friend, and neither will weights once I'm through with them .
  • I can't do a pushup to save my life!

However, I can do as much cardio as I can. Jumping jacks, running.