Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #1  
Miss Motivated

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5'5

Default Strength training at home

Ok so I'm a busy mommy of a 2 year old but I do manage to squeeze in around 5k every morning. The problem. I would like to get on a more balanced strength training and cardio schedule but I can't go up to a gym. I have 2 10lb dumbells and some resistance bands. Anyone got any good ideas on breaking that up? Like I don't really even know much exercises for target muscle groups
Ariannag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I use an app for my phone called Fitness Buddy (there must be other ones as well) that show good exercises with weights such as dumbells. You might want to invest in a few more though so you can adjust your weights.

But doing your 5k is great. Even with access to a gym, running is by far the best exercise I am getting as the benefits are throughout the body: my legs, arms, chest, heart, lungs, etc. No wonder people use treadmills so much.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I wanted to do some strength training from home that didn't involve hours and hours of weights and so on. I got a 16kg kettlebell, and developed a 30 minute routine around it. It was exactly what I was looking for. I'm noticeably building muscle, and it get's my heart rate going and gives me a cardio workout at the same time.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I do best using DVDs. I do Jillian Michaels, both cardio and strength. They target all muscle groups and show you how to do (or not to do) the exercise. She has a lot of 30 min workouts that are effective. Though I started with 3 lbs and now mostly use 5 lbs.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Upper body, definitely push ups! Bicep curls, 2 and 3 point dumb bell rows, shoulder presses. T-push ups. If you can, get one of those pullup bars that hangs in a door way, pull ups are great!

Lower body. There are lots of variations of squats, lunges and step ups and dead lifts.

2 other items I would have at home, a stability ball. Great for dynamic stability and ab work. And a set of suspended rings like gymnast compete on. You could hang them from the pull up bar. They are great for all kinds of body weight moves and stability and balance.

Check out Youtube for lifting/strength.stability ball and ring training vids.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

You can work out every muscle in your body with resistance bands.http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...d-workout.html Also, you can Google some beginner resistance band workouts and find quite a number of routines.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym or Body By You by Mark Lauren. I've been working with both programs over the last few months and I'm really seeing great fitness gains.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #8  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym or Body By You by Mark Lauren. I've been working with both programs over the last few months and I'm really seeing great fitness gains.
I want that book! It's £8 on Amazon and has so many great reviews. I'm another non-gym lifting girl. I started this workout recently, just completed my first week, and believe me, I can feel it!!!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...y-workout.html

It's dumbbell only, I did a test week with 2x 3.5kg weights and wrote down what sets I could do. If I can do the full 3x12 easily, I'm upping the weights. If I can't even make 3x6, I'm bringing them down. Whatever you choose, write down your weights/sets/reps! Then you'll have an idea where you're going. I've tried doing this in my head and it's damn near impossible to remember!
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/236.5/140

If you have comcast as a cable provider ..On demand has a workout section and you can pick which one.. I know it might not be as much help but just and fyi... usually cable providers have a like health & fitness channel for free
sh0rtydeee is offline   Reply With Quote