Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Chickies: Failure Beats Not Trying

I'm an on and off 3FCer who lost a lot of weight and then gained a lot back, then lost a little then gained it back, then lost a little again, then gained it back...etc. ad infinitum

But, I realized that I am actually better off now, by a lot, and that I'm not really RESTARTING but just continuing to work on a process.

The first time I joined 3FC I weighed about 300lbs, I was horribly out of shape, and I was completely discouraged. For the previous ten years, I had gone UP in weight every single year. I did not think it was possible to lose weight, and I had considered weight loss surgery even though I was pretty sure it wasn't right for me. I would have gone through with it if my insurance hadn't turned it down.

So, now, almost 4 years later, I've struggled to maintain 25% of that loss, sometimes (now) trending upward for several months at a time.

But then, I realized that in reality, I've been mostly maintaining in the low 260s, almost 40 lbs below my highest weight. I've gotten up here (mid 270s) two or three times and each time I've managed to ratchet it down and lost the 15 lbs and get back to 260.

Now, obviously, that's not great. I'd much rather be down in the 180s, in a size 12, running 4 miles a week, like I was back in 2010 and 2011.

On the other hand, for health reasons, losing and maintaining a ten per cent loss is considered a really good thing.

So, today, I'm patting myself on the back for weighing less in 2013 than I did in 2009.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
I'm an on and off 3FCer who lost a lot of weight and then gained a lot back, then lost a little then gained it back, then lost a little again, then gained it back...etc. ad infinitum
You are describing me too. I am another old timer working on the same thing and I am trying to look at this the same way. Even though I have been struggling for a year and a half, at least I have not gained all the weight back. I have now turned to a doctor that specializes in weight loss and am determined to look forward, not back.

So we have both been maintaining at least 10% percent of our loss and . But we both are going to lose more and then work at keeping it off!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #3  

Yes!!

Funny as it doesn't ever feel like "restarting" to me. It feels like maintaining with greater or lesser success.

Funny!

So glad to hear that you are still in the good fight, Cheryl. Am curious to hear how it goes with the weight loss doc. Have considered going that route myself.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

Uber,
I was so glad to see you back here! I have mostly been lurking but it is time for me to get active again. One day I am going to post about the program the DR has me on. It breaks most of the rules that I had when I lost the 100+ pounds but I felt the need for help. I have been following her plan (pretty drastic plan IMHO) for 4 weeks and think that I will stick with it for 2 or 3 months longer at least. It is not a plan that I can stick with long term. However, I have lost 13 pounds so far and, more important, have lost my cravings. I always lost slowly and rapid weight loss is so seductive!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the article. I am really close to losing 15% of my body weight (4lbs away) right now and I am so happy I could do flips. (ETA my highest before joining was 320) I haven't done my follow up visit with my doctor so I don't know my numbers but I feel much better than I did before. I can talk to someone while climbing up a flight of stairs. I can put on my socks without cutting off all my air.

BTW congrats to you.

Last edited by ichoose2believe; 04-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

FAIL is really just an acryomn for Frequent Advances In Learning!

Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post

Let's hope you're right!

And Cheryl,

Tell me about your drastic plan. I'm curious...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

Uber,

At least the plan is simple: Per day: 8 ou. of lean protein, at least 3 cups but unlimited amount of non-starchy veggies (a list is provided), 2 protein products (shakes, etc) that the DR provides and 60 ou. water. Only eat within a 12 hour window. No fruit, nuts, or dairy.

You don't have to count calories but the DR said that it should amount to 800 to 900 calories per day. I count calories and if I follow the exact diet, it comes to about 600 calories. I let myself eat about 800 calories even if I do allow for a little more protein.

I can't do this diet long term and will eventually allow the fruit, nuts, or dairy and go up to 1200 calories. I have never had rapid weight loss in my life and it does have me seduced. I also have to say that while I am surprised that I could stick with this for a month, it has gotten rid of my cravings. I white-knuckled the first week. Every time I wanted to quit, I remembered how much I had already paid and stuck it out!!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Welcome back to both you and Cheryl! You both have great attitudes on this.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #11  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Precisely - Very well said
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back! I agree with you 100%.

Failing beats not trying. Even when I have an off day or week or whatever, I am eating WAY better in terms of quality of food than I used to. Right now I am down 17% of my body weight a year ago. I feel better. While it's not an amazing weight loss, I just keep plugging along. I have to do something I can keep up forever, so I don't see temporary set backs as ruining my day/life/diet/whatever.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat117 View Post

This made me smile, thank you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

as long as you try, that's all that counts- success is just a bonus :3
but i'm sure if you try hard enough for long enough, you'll get there!

my weight went up 100 pounds in 18 months, leaving me riddled with stretchmarks and fat in places i didn't know fat could exist!
(not trying to be crude, but my vagina even gained weight, that was a big wtf for me!)
but in just a few short months of counting calories i lost a good 25 pounds!
adding exercise to that i will not only be getting lighter but also fitter,
as i spent the past 7 years playing video games instead of working out.
my goal may seem to be weightloss, but it's really HEALTH
which is what you should be aiming for, too.

ignore the scale for a couple of weeks, and exercise at least 1 hour a week,
and keep on top of your calorie counting, and i bet you'll see a nice big drop~!
and if you, like me, are concerned with unhealthy ingredients, you can cut out or replace them. examples:
i have cut out high fructose corn syrup (except for 1-2 times a month when i'll have a soda)
i have cut out corn syrup and corn syrup solids
i have also cut out aspartame and gelatin (gelatin is for personal reasons not health, i just don't like the thought of what it's made of)
and i have drastically cut down on sugar. now, if i want to sweeten something, i use agave nectar or natural honey. my grandmother even has honey granules.
i've even found cheese in my local grocer's that is less than half the calories of deli-bought cheese.
oh, and i switched from soymilk to almondmilk, as i heard that too much soy can actually be bad for you.

anyway, those changes have all been having me feeling better, more energetic.
it used to be i'd get tired from a 1/4 mile walk, but now i can ride my bike up to 7 miles in a day!
i bet if you looked at what you are eating you could find some good changes to make that really don't take much more effort than simply reading the ingredients of the things you buy.

if you'd like, go look at my food log. i'm sure you'll find some low-cal foods in there that you could enjoy, and you'd be surprised at all the "junk" food i still eat while losing weight seriously, don't go too gung-ho all at once, you'll get overwhelmed. small changes are key.
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hugs to you both! You know I have been in the same boat. Five years ago, about 280 pounds, lost over 100, regained about half of that back. What a battle it has been, but like you said uber, it's maintaining lower that is the win. I never went back to 280 so that IS a win. I spent the last year maintaining at about a 45 pound regain. I just recently got myself together and am working back down the scale again, SUPER slowly. Cheryl I follow a plan sort of similar to yours, with measured protein, non starchy veggies, and protein shakes/bars but I eat about 1000 cals/day. Sadly because I have wrecked feet and am unable to even walk a mile or be active at all, I am losing super slowly even on that! But hey, we are all on the right path together now, and we can support each other to get to a better place in our health.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote