Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #1  
Mary

S/C/G: 281/273.8/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Food guilt

I think this speaks to my unhealthy relationship with food so it is something I need to explore.

Do any of you develop food guilt - and not the "Wow I totally ate too much pizza, I'm such an oinker" way. I always feel guilty for what I eat. I know I shouldn't be eating "fake" foods and having done a Whole30 I know how great my body feels when I stick with it - but with 3 kids who don't eat that way sticking with it is a struggle for me. I feel like there are so many foods that are bad for you, high fructose corn syrup, soy, wheat products, food dye etc. With 3 kids though and one who has a sensory disorder that partially revolves around food texture sometimes we struggle with healthy choices.

Sometimes I feel like because I am so big people watch every bite I put in my mouth and they judge me. When I eat healthy I still feel that way.

I'm working really hard this time around to get out of that space in my head and see food as nutrition plain and simple. I'm doing WW this time around and simply focusing on eating my points and getting my healthy guidelines in but I know I need to figure out a way to fix this guilt I feel over having a Sugar Free pudding sometimes or putting 2 tbsp of Cool Whip Chocolate frosting over my strawberries occasionally.
LadyPurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #2  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I struggled with these feelings, as well. Especially after watching Food Inc. I was like...."Can not eat hormones. EVER. Must avoid HFCS ALWAYS."
It's an overwhelming world- and those type of thoughts can definitely cause you to feel like you are failing all the time.

I have become SO much more relaxed since I started looking into Intuitive Eating:
http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating
One of the principles is "Making peace with food."

I also have an overzealous co-workers who is constantly like, "THERE IS GMO CORN IN THAT PRODUCT!!! AAAAAHHH!"
Finally I told him to stop...I told him I'm not trying to be perfect. I'm just trying to move forward. I just want to be better then I was a month ago, or a year ago.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #3  
Mary

Food Inc is totally what started it for me, along with reading Wheat Belly and It Starts With Food.

The other issue is I have a coworker at my school (that I think is a great guy and is in my close group of teacher friends) that has willpower I dream of. He is strictly Paleo and while I know he probably isn't judging what I eat I worry he is. He just does things I can't - like eat the same breakfast and lunch and snacks every single day. I can't do that. He is also a bachelor and lives alone. So I need to stop comparing myself I have a busy life as a teacher, with three kids and a husband. I NEED to figure out how to eat in a way that is sustainable for me.

I need to work on focusing on the good things we do. We raise our own chickens for eggs and meat, pay a friend to raise a pig for us, buy our beef from the farm down the street, preserve everything we can from our garden and buy very limited amounts of "junk". I let the kids pick one treat a week for their lunches -- 99% of the time it is the herbal popcorn they sell here that is so good and healthy, but sometimes it is a box of snack size packs of mini oreos. I need to come to grips with the idea that 2 snack size packs of mini oreos in a month doesn't make me a bad parent, it is allowing my kids to have a normal relationship with the food that they see their friends eating. And if I have one it is a special treat and that is okay, as long as I plan for it and track it.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #4  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

LadyPurl - have you read any blogs geared towards/written by paleo families? Paleo Parents and Picket Fence Paleo are two of my favourites - they might help you develop a more realistic picture of what paleo for busy parents/families is going to look like.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #5  
Living Intuitively

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPurl View Post
I need to come to grips with the idea that 2 snack size packs of mini oreos in a month doesn't make me a bad parent, it is allowing my kids to have a normal relationship with the food that they see their friends eating.
Yup. You are RIGHT on here. Also- some of my favorite real food movement bloggers abide by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time they are "on plan"....20% they are not. We live in a world owned by Monsanto (exaggeration...kinda); you need to be able to cut yourself a break.

Besides- most children will decide on their own that oreos don't really taste that great anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #6  
Living Intuitively

Here is an articles I just read: http://chriskresser.com/food-fascism-and-the-8020-rule
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #7  
Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
LadyPurl - have you read any blogs geared towards/written by paleo families? Paleo Parents and Picket Fence Paleo are two of my favourites - they might help you develop a more realistic picture of what paleo for busy parents/families is going to look like.
I have read a few. We actually have the plan to transition to whole30/paleo eating this summer with the kids. We tried it a month ago (two of the girls have ADHD, one can not currently take meds for it at all and I know going gluten free will help) but with them being in school it was hard for me to control what they were eating without being "that parent". I only want to become "that mom" if it really helps the girls - so I figure waiting until the summer to try it won't hurt.

One of our major complications is that my 5 year old is special needs (the one with ADHS who can't take meds) and as a side affect of brain surgery we had to do she has major sensory issues - many of them are oral. She eats pretty well but we are really limited on her proteins - she'll only eat yogurt, cheese, quinoa, chicken nuggets and sausage. We stopped buying chicken nuggets and I make them at home now and she is slowly accepting those but for her the transition needs to be slow because as soon as she has a gag reflex triggered by a food, she stops eating it.

Thankfully my girls prefer fruits and vegetables and the 5 year old for all of her sensory issues is a pretty good eater. Most nights at supper she'll just eat the vegetables and if I serve rice or rice pasta she'll eat that as well. She is doing better overall we managed to get her to eat ham the other day!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #8  
Mary

Oh and rereading that I hope it doesn't come across as excuses - it truly isn't it is our reality and we are walking a fine line between doing the best we can for our kids and respecting sensory issues that the 5yo has very little control over.

We got her to eat some of our pork chops tonight so we are slowly making progress. If we can get her to reliably eat more real meat I think switching to whole30/paleoish this summer won't be too bad.