3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   5k a day challenge? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/278251-5k-day-challenge.html)

traci in training 03-23-2013 12:13 PM

5k a day challenge?

So I decided I was going to get to normal bmi for New year's eve 2013. One year commitment to myself. Change my lifestyle and spend one year getting to where I want to be.

To make a long story just a little bit shorter, my delightful vacation has knocked me off the path of the beam by two pounds. I did well on vacation and ate reasonably and exercised but I didn't lose. So now I need to push myself to stay on track for March.

I usually exercise four day per week because I work 12-13 hour shifts the other three days and frankly I am done in at the end of those days. But we lost a patient :( last week and another has regained function :) so we are low census for a week or two so my work days will only be 9-10 hours.

It occurred to me on the treadmill this morning that I'm no longer afraid of running two days in a row. Stuff doesn't hurt when I'm done running like it used to (there's a huge NSV!).

So I decided to challenge myself to a 5k a day for the rest of March. See if I can run those two pounds off. And while I'm at it I'm going to try go take a couple of minutes off my 5k time. I am the slowest runner on the face of this earth and I can't run the whole thing without some walking yet, but there's nowhere to go but up so I'm going! Anyone want to come along?

3/23 43.34

charliee 03-23-2013 12:39 PM

You are amazing. I wish I could do 5K a day, right now I struggle to do 2K. I may not be able to join you, but I will be cheering you on from the sidelines!

Good luck!

Lecomtes 03-23-2013 02:14 PM

Awesome idea! I can't wait to be able to run two days in a row! Congrats!

traci in training 03-23-2013 08:45 PM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! Have you seen the Facebook post with pictures of " how I feel doing the plank (picture Jillian Michaels) and how I look doing the plank (picture a hippo)"? That's me running. But I just keep going! :)

LaurieDawn 03-23-2013 09:27 PM

That's so cool, Traci! I lift 3 or 4 days a week, and I can't fit in a 5K on those days, but I am trying to increase my cardio on off days. So I would love to join your challenge, if you don't mind if I modify. I will commit to running 5K on days I don't lift, but with one rest day a week
I usually just do 2 miles, so this will be good for me. Tomorrow - first 5K!

traci in training 03-23-2013 10:53 PM

Sounds great, Lauriedawn! I just know that I'll be more likely to succeed if I'm posting my progress here. A little accountability is good for the soul. And for the goal!

traci in training 03-24-2013 11:31 AM

3/24 day two. 43.08. Cut 26 seconds from yesterday. Woo hoo!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

traci in training 03-25-2013 08:19 PM

Day three: 42.39. Hard to run after a ten hour day. Definitely having a couple of Advil with my chicken enchiladas tonight!

traci in training 03-26-2013 06:55 PM

Day 4. 41.24. :)
Day 5 off for knee pain
Day 6 40.14

PinkPeachPie 03-30-2013 03:51 PM

It's a little late for me to start for the end of March but if you are interested in doing this in April I'm in! I probably won't be running the whole thing every day but I could walk/jog the 5k a day :)

Good job improving your time! My friend and I just signed up for the Color Run 5K in July so this would really help me get in shape for it.

traci in training 03-30-2013 05:52 PM

I am delighted to have some company for April! I walked my 5k outside with my husband this morning and enjoyed myself more than I ever do on the treadmill. Still having some knee pain so I'm not sure if I'll be running or walking each day in April but one way or another I'll be doing a 5k a day!:carrot:

Anyone else want to join us?

elvislover324 03-30-2013 06:02 PM

I'm just chiming in here to say how inspiring you are, Traci! I wish I could run a 5k at all nevermind a day! Hope your knee feels better.

kayin 03-30-2013 07:50 PM

I will join you, but I will be walking, not running as I have an old knee injury. I walk twice a day, 7 days a week so I think I make at least 5k each day even if I don't measure. I walk outdoors different routes but my favourite one is 7k (takes me 1h 30min) so I can estimate the other routes.

I'm training for summer mountain hiking, can't wait!

Happy running/walking everyone!

Nikel1979 03-30-2013 08:09 PM

Every day is too much for me, since I'll be gearing up for marathon training. I need those rest days. ;) I can join you 4 days a week in April though. I've previously been doing 3 days per week, so this will be new for me.

traci in training 03-30-2013 08:50 PM

I am so excited to have company!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot: