3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Retail Therapy (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/277900-retail-therapy.html)

SarahFairhope 03-18-2013 10:50 AM

Retail Therapy

QuilterInVA 03-18-2013 11:28 AM

When you lose weight only with dietary changes and no exercise, you lose muscle along with fat and that is far from desireable. Muscle requires more calories to maintain so you will be able to eat more at maintenance. Exercise also tones your body and you can't get that with dietary changes alone. The largest muscle in your body is your heart, and you should want to keep that healthy.

SarahFairhope 03-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 4672423)
When you lose weight only with dietary changes and no exercise, you lose muscle along with fat and that is far from desireable. Muscle requires more calories to maintain so you will be able to eat more at maintenance. Exercise also tones your body and you can't get that with dietary changes alone. The largest muscle in your body is your heart, and you should want to keep that healthy.

Wow. This is, by far, the least supportive response I've received here. :( If your intent here is to impress upon someone that exercise is an important part of the weight loss equation, perhaps a better, kinder, more supportive way to have said that would be something like this:
Maintain your muscle mass through exercise is very important as muscle requires more calories per pound than fat. Exercise also tones your body, which you wont see with dietary changes alone. Also, ensuring your work out that heart muscle is a must!
-Also, by the way, the largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus by mass, follow by two other muscles, larger than the heart. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...es-human-body/)

rodeogirl 03-18-2013 12:08 PM

I haven't been exercising yet either but I'm taking everything about my health one step at a time.

I'm finding myself more and more motivated to exercise so I understand where you are coming from.

Also, having talked to a doctor, when you cut calories at a reasonable amount and are not bed ridden, you don't have to worry about losing muscle. You're using your muscles every day to walk, do laundry, clean the house, cook dinner, do whatever you do for work, etc.

Yes, exercise is an important part of good health, but losing weight is also important. And most doctors I've talked to have said getting rid of the extra fat is right up there with quitting smoking. Getting more exercise and toning muscles is a distant second.

When I looked into the Atkins diet a few years ago (I tried it and it worked great for a few weeks but it wasn't for me. I didn't feel healthy/energized on it) a lot of what I saw was rhetoric about how you have to exercise to increase muscle and therefore lose more fat when you're resting and while this is true, again I talked to doctors about it, and they all said it was a nice benefit but it's impact was negligible.

So listen to your doctor, listen to your body, and celebrate all the good that's come from losing weight. I would encourage you (and me!) to exercise to take advantage of all those little perks exercise brings but don't let that diminish for one second the hard work you've done to lose weight!

IanG 03-18-2013 12:30 PM

At 280 pounds, I could not have given a heck whether it was muscle or fat loss. Just had to get the weight off. I am not going to die in my fifties if I lose a bit of muscle. I will die in my fifties if I do not lose some weight.

Besides, like Rodeogirl said we integrate a lot of exercise anyway into our daily lives.

synger 03-18-2013 02:23 PM

"They" say that you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. Both are important, and each of us will find what works best for us.

For me, just being able to walk more than 10 minutes without a cane is a HUGE improvement! I'm not worried about muscle loss yet.

amandie 03-18-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahFairhope (Post 4672444)
Wow. This is, by far, the least supportive response I've received here. :( If your intent here is to impress upon someone that exercise is an important part of the weight loss equation, perhaps a better, kinder, more supportive way to have said that would be something like this...

Please don't let Quilter put you off. I honestly tend to ignore her posts. I am sorry you had to deal with that. I see that you erased your original post and I wish you didn't.

elvislover324 03-18-2013 02:35 PM

Hi Sarah. I saw your post earlier but couldn't reply then. Please don't let one unhelpful person discourage you. We are here for you and I sincerely look forward to all of your posts. :)

ghost 03-18-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 4672423)

ugh. This myth again? Hasn't it been debunked about a million times? Our bodies are sophisticated enough to realize that when abundant adipose tissue is present that it need not metabolize muscle tissue to prevent starvation. Exercise is good for physical fitness and has been shown to increase overall wellness, but it is not OMGNecessary for weight loss.

I don't know what the OP said as its been deleted but perpetuating myths and and acting superior about it is why I take everything on this forum with a grain of salt.

rodeogirl 03-18-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost (Post 4672763)
I don't know what the OP said as its been deleted but perpetuating myths and and acting superior about it is why I take everything on this forum with a grain of salt.

Well thankfully, in my experience, this forum is wonderfully supportive. I do agree that even the most well meaning advice should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt as most of us are NOT medical experts.

Talk to your doctor, a nutritionist, nurse - someone with training to get the real scoop. That said I do love hearing what's working for people and I definitely try things and have learned things here.

lunarsongbird 03-18-2013 05:56 PM

Hi Lady. Didn't see your original post, but I sent you a PM. :)

ETA: Also, I'm so surprised that there isn't a block function. On the last board I was on I blocked a few of the posters because they were always negative and harsh. I don't need that type of negativity in my life. Lord knows I'm my worst critic. I do NOT need anyone else's help with that.

SarahFairhope 03-18-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandie (Post 4672691)
Please don't let Quilter put you off. I honestly tend to ignore her posts. I am sorry you had to deal with that. I see that you erased your original post and I wish you didn't.

Yeah, I kind of wish I hadn't either now. I was busy running around at home with my two kiddos (2 & 4) - and I didn't want my mind pre-occupied with possible other negative comments. This was the first time I had posted a picture of myself and was probably a tad self conscious. Lesson learned, water, ducks backs, etc.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I think it just hit me a bit more than something typically would because I was just so dang excited about my pants. ;)

Movin' on. :hug:

forreal 03-18-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunarsongbird (Post 4672920)
ETA: Also, I'm so surprised that there isn't a block function. On the last board I was on I blocked a few of the posters because they were always negative and harsh. I don't need that type of negativity in my life. Lord knows I'm my worst critic. I do NOT need anyone else's help with that.

There is a "Ignore" feature under "User CP" I've used it a few times -- only problem is once in a while another user will quote the "Ignored" persons post in their response. Generally though, I'd say 98% of the posts are positive
:grouphug: Don't let a few "Negative Nellies" spoil it for you. :hug:

Thinforme 03-19-2013 06:53 AM

I agree, wish you hadn't erased the original but I bet you looked great in the picture. I call for a repost so we can show how amazingly awesome and supportive these boards are.

Daimere 03-19-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

You're using your muscles every day to walk, do laundry, clean the house, cook dinner, do whatever you do for work, etc.
That's good to know. I've just been worrying about sleep, dance, and eating right. Yay!

And I hope you feel better about that snarky comment! I'm sure it was unwarranted!